Civil War Camp Hunt.. Awesome Day!

U

umrgolf

I started this yard exactly two weeks ago today. Last tuesday only produced a few bullets and I didn't stay long due to the cold weather. Today being the 3rd hunt was a different story :headbang:

Today's take

IMG_0435.JPG

This is my first kepi company letter :) It was in the same hole as the eagle button :icon_thumleft:

IMG_0455.JPG IMG_0456.JPG

looks similar to the one here being the thicker variety, also beginning to think the eagle button that was in the same hole is the same as the small button you see on the left side of this kepi

images-1.jpg

IMG_0440.JPG

A couple melted bullets and some cut pieces

IMG_0436.JPG

Also snagged another silver from the camp

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

Upvote 0

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Civil War Camp Hunt.. Awesome Day! -video added-

Great finds that B is sweet!

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thanks for the comments, glad you all enjoyed the video.. Sorry it took me two minutes to recover an eagle button :laughing7:

BuckleBoy said:
This is a first rate post!!

Wonder what's on the next property over past that fence line? :o

-Buckles

Owner is on vacation until Monday :wink:

kuger said:
Outstanding my man!!!I need to show ya something e-mail coming(check your spam :laughing7:)

I will check it later today :laughing7:

bearbqd said:
OMG, are those all .69 cals? Holy frijoles that's some awesome stuff. What a killer spot!

yes, every single one I found aside from the round balls was .69

{Sentinel} said:
The 'trolls' definitely went in there and had a field day! :wink: :wink: Great day man, that's how you dig CW Relics! Nice variety and gotta love those "1861" dates on the splendid Civil War era Silver! You weren't lying either, that is one of the thickest company letters I've seen. Here's to you old diggin' buddy :occasion14: :headbang:

Thanks, I think you mean the "gnomes" ? :laughing9: :laughing9: Yes, that company letter was very thick.. that's another reason I had no clue what it was at first :)

mikeshayne said:
Fantastic hunt Jeff. Congratulations! Seems like you have the touch even in Missouri. I really like the silver and the kepi letter. Those would be firsts for me. Let's hope the weather holds out and we can hit the ground this winter. Great finds

thanks, haven't checked the forecast but we've been extremely lucky weather-wise ..

JUNKYARD DOG said:
I really love to see that sweet stuff come out of the ground here in Mid Mo, that Kepi B is great and on my list for sure, hunted a place a couple of weeks ago and my bud found a E, some day I'll find one. Thanks and great post, pics and vid. Take care and more good luck. JYD.. Wes

I didn't realize they were so hard to come by when I first started hunting CW spots.. Four years later, I get one, so they aren't too common of a find I guess. good luck to you all as well :icon_thumleft:

Steve in PA said:
Very cool Jeff! Love the company letter B and all those fat 69'ers. Add a couple seated silvers and you have memorable site there. And of course your not done with it yet :icon_pirat:

just about done now.. Not too many signals left in the hot part of his yard :-\

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds Jeff , I am on my way back to Missouri and can't hardly wait to get out and find the Civil War items again. I hope to run into you this summer and go out and hunt a place or two!

I like hunting south of Wilson's Creek area in the counties south of there. A lot of nice things in the ground in those areas that was left for us to find.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice finds and video Jeff. Glad to see you find yourself a great little spot outside VA. And detecting in Jan in shirt sleeves - it doesn't get any better than that!

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Some nice relics! Where are the plates? Any chance of getting permission to hunt the other yards? I'm not sure but don't those solid cast company letters come from the western theater? I dug several in and around Corinth Mississippi years ago. HH

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your killin' it Jeff :laughing7: I like the Co. B that's a great dig :hello2: Big congrats on the seateds and 69's :thumbsup: your becoming quite the film maker . I still struggle getting still shots :P glad your out and this weather has been unreal :dontknow: 50's again here 8) dawg

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If I found a site like that I'd probably have a stroke and never be able detect it!

Great find and great saves!

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Bill D. (VA) said:
Nice finds and video Jeff. Glad to see you find yourself a great little spot outside VA. And detecting in Jan in shirt sleeves - it doesn't get any better than that!

It doesn't get any better.. Something like 55 yesterday :o thanks

Daedalus said:
Awesome finds Jeff , I am on my way back to Missouri and can't hardly wait to get out and find the Civil War items again. I hope to run into you this summer and go out and hunt a place or two!

I like hunting south of Wilson's Creek area in the counties south of there. A lot of nice things in the ground in those areas that was left for us to find.

My new girlfriend's dad lives down near Nixa.. Just got him a machine for christmas, we ought to hook up sometime.

MKnTenn said:
Some nice relics! Where are the plates? Any chance of getting permission to hunt the other yards? I'm not sure but don't those solid cast company letters come from the western theater? I dug several in and around Corinth Mississippi years ago. HH

I really thought there would be a plate in this spot :dontknow: gonna work on permission for some other property near there.. not sure on the sizes of the company letters?

CMDiamonddawg said:
Your killin' it Jeff :laughing7: I like the Co. B that's a great dig :hello2: Big congrats on the seateds and 69's :thumbsup: your becoming quite the film maker . I still struggle getting still shots :P glad your out and this weather has been unreal :dontknow: 50's again here 8) dawg

thanks dawg, the weather has been crazy good here.. get out there before its gone

Dwight S said:
If I found a site like that I'd probably have a stroke and never be able detect it!

Great find and great saves!

:laughing7: Thanks, hope you never find a site like this one then!! :laughing9: :tongue3:

looking4largecent

Dec 11, 2011
iowa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds Great video

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks, I think you mean the "gnomes" ? laughing9 laughing9 Yes, that company letter was very thick.. that's another reason I had no clue what it was at first Smiley

Indeed...well I sometimes vary it between the two but "gnomes" is appropriate for this hunt, as many targets as there were :laughing9:

Hiker

Nov 30, 2008
Newnan, GA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Holy monkey, way to go, nice digs indead.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What an awesome bunch of finds! Those seateds are incredible!! I'm still looking for my first, I hope they come out of the ground as nice as yours. HH.

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008

excellent finds and enjoyed the video.thanks for posting it.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very nice silver coins and very good preservation ... congratulations! :thumbsup:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006

Great variety of quality finds there Jeff. Company letter is first rate. With the melted lead and glass I wonder if there is a trash pit near by.
-Evan

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man you have done well in that yard! :headbang: I can be there in about three hours! :laughing9:

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer

The coins look in perfect shape, and the B it's a great find

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o :o :o

Every time I see those HUGE lead bullets I cringe with fear, God only knows what damage those things must have inflicted :o Great finds Jeff :icon_thumleft:

SS

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

now thats just plain ole awesome!