• BORMAN CANNONBALL.jpg
    BORMAN CANNONBALL.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 691

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
It's not really a danger as it sits. There has been no spontaneous explosions caused by old civil war cannonballs just sitting around. People have dropped them and hit them with hammers and nothing happens. Just don't put it in the fireplace or decide to drill a hole in it to defuse it and you'll be fine.

If you'd like to get it disarmed go here and ask the same question. These guys are the experts.
http://cwpforums.com/forum/

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
incajoe said:
It's not really a danger as it sits. There has been no spontaneous explosions caused by old civil war cannonballs just sitting around. People have dropped them and hit them with hammers and nothing happens. Just don't put it in the fireplace or decide to drill a hole in it to defuse it and you'll be fine.

If you'd like to get it disarmed go here and ask the same question. These guys are the experts.
http://cwpforums.com/forum/

Agreed.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
I kind of disagree.

These projectiles are tough and can stand a lot of handling. However, you never know that where you have it stored could not possibly catch fire and then cause the shell to explode. If that were to happen and someone were to get killed or injured you would be in deep trouble. Best to keep outdoors somewhere.

Be careful of who you show this to and tell. These things are no laughing matter to law enforcement. If they were to find out you had that shell you can bet you would get a visit by the local bomb squad and they would take it and others you may have and explode the whole bunch, and you could also possible be prosecuted for having a bomb, and that is no joke. ATF can do anything they want.

I also have an unexploded cannonball. I have already defuzed two safely. I keep the current cannonball in a bucket of water. I have removed the borman fuze which is made of zinc and comes out usually in pieces. I have also used a toothpick and cleaned out the hole in the brass plug so water has gotten to the powder. I did this after the death last summer and sever injuries to another (expert) the year before when they were defuzing projectiles. I didn't realize that once powder dries out it is as dangerous as before.

I found a kind of squashed .54 minnie still in its brass cartridge. The cartridge was split and underground, and also it was in a dried up man made lake bed, anyway, I emptied some of the contents of the cartridge and hit it with a match and there were still some sparkles. Not like good powder, but nevertheless, there were still some remnants. I have read that black powder tends to worsen over the years, and by worsen I mean get more and more dangerous.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jhettel said:
I kind of disagree.

These projectiles are tough and can stand a lot of handling. However, you never know that where you have it stored could not possibly catch fire and then cause the shell to explode. If that were to happen and someone were to get killed or injured you would be in deep trouble. Best to keep outdoors somewhere.

Be careful of who you show this to and tell. These things are no laughing matter to law enforcement. If they were to find out you had that shell you can bet you would get a visit by the local bomb squad and they would take it and others you may have and explode the whole bunch, and you could also possible be prosecuted for having a bomb, and that is no joke. ATF can do anything they want.

I also have an unexploded cannonball. I have already defuzed two safely. I keep the current cannonball in a bucket of water. I have removed the borman fuze which is made of zinc and comes out usually in pieces. I have also used a toothpick and cleaned out the hole in the brass plug so water has gotten to the powder. I did this after the death last summer and sever injuries to another (expert) the year before when they were defuzing projectiles. I didn't realize that once powder dries out it is as dangerous as before.

I found a kind of squashed .54 minnie still in its brass cartridge. The cartridge was split and underground, and also it was in a dried up man made lake bed, anyway, I emptied some of the contents of the cartridge and hit it with a match and there were still some sparkles. Not like good powder, but nevertheless, there were still some remnants. I have read that black powder tends to worsen over the years, and by worsen I mean get more and more dangerous.

You should read the article in North South Trader on shells--it isn't the gunpowder that makes them dangerous, it's the gasses created by water combining with the gunpowder in a rust-sealed environment. The chemical reactions are listed in the issue--if you're interested I can look through my old copies and find the specific one. This is why shells frequently "burp" when being defused. And if you have an unexploded shell, keep it in a cool place.

But it should be for the most part inert. Don't store it by your fireplace, don't tell law enforcement you have it, and keep in mind you're in deep if your Christmas Tree catches your house on fire with that shell in there!

Then get it defused as soon as possible by an professional.

Regards,

Buckles

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Saturation with WD-40 will tame black powder.Still will not prevent catastrophic detonation if subjected to extreme heat,house fire.

OP
OP
B

baldybob

Dec 4, 2008
Thanks for the information guys. I feel a little better now that ball has been removed from fireplace hearth :-[
My dad and I found this almost 40 years ago (I think) 'course, he used the detector...I was the shovel man, so he was in a lot less danger!? ;D
Bob in Arkansas

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, you had this thing on your Fireplace? :tard:

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
I've got a live borman too...the face was not punched all the way through before it was fired, so I used a small nail to punch through it & soaked it in water for a few weeks to get the powder wet....I've had this cannonball for close to 20 years...........I'd also like to see some closeups of the projectiles on the mantle you've got there!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread