Civil War Carbine

Captain Al

Jan 25, 2009
Princeton, Kentucky
I've posted this on several Civil War forums, but received very few responses. If anybody has any idea regarding the value or where I might get more information, please weigh in.
I inherited this merrill 54 caliber carbine, serial number 2834, from my father in law who supposedly won it in a poker game probably in the early 60's. The carbine appears to be in good condition other than my father in law engraving his SSN on the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the forestock. Why he didn't put it under the butt plate or somewhere else, I'll never know, but I suppose it could have been worse and he could have sold it for a few dollars.
At any rate, my first question is: am I better off leaving his engraving than trying to have it professionally removed? Would professional restoration to that area decrease the value?
Second: The carbine has decorative engraving on the patch box, trigger guard, side panels, and breach area. None of the photographs of Merrill carbines that I have seen have any of this engraving. Does this engraving signify anything such as being an officer's model?
Finally, Is there any source that would tell me to what unit the carbine was issued based on the serial number?

Upvote 0

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't have the gun completely restored it will drop the value. I think your best bet would try to get a holed of Harry Ridge Way he deals with allot of civil war firearms. he might be able to give you a idea about repair and value. If you are looking to sell he might buy it also.

hope this helps

www.relicman.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread