Civil war digs...about to be out lawed

Gil Finn

Nov 20, 2004
These are some ordance fragments and bottles I have found over the years shown with a reproduction musket.

I understand the feds are about to ban the digging of artifacts on private lands such as these finds.

This will be a shame and a heavey handed attemp to take more rights from the private citizen. It will hurt local histoty buffs, libraries and schools as the wealth of our past will not be available anew.

cw015.jpg

Upvote 0

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
If that's true, it's another example of gov't run amuck. I assume that restriction would also apply to the lawful owner of the property. Take that concept one step further. Who then has the right to search for historical artifacts on private property, the gov't? What if you're looking for something else, but find a historical artifact? Have you violated a federal law? Private property should be under the control of the owner, not gov't. So much for the Constitution.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's about time that the damn government starts worrying about the real problems in this country and quit sweating the small stuff.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
If thats a fact what a crock! Where did you see that? They should be outlawed from lining their own pockets and voting themselves raises.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Before I get too shook up over this, I'll need proof. Haven't heard a peep about this from any other source. Keep diggin...

- Noodle

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
bookfisher said:
Your are mistaken, the government is not about to outlaw the recovery of Civil War relics on private property.

Bookfisher is right. Not only is just the thought ludicrous, but just trying to enforce the law would be impossible. They might want to stop hunters on GOVERNMENT owned land, which I can understand. I live near Yorktown, VA, and its sad what some people have down out on the trails and woods looking for souvenirs.
But there is absolutley no way that the government can stop you from recovering civil war relics on private property. Unless its US Navy property. What was once the Navy's is always the Navy's, no matter when or where.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I also concur with Bookfisher on this one. The fact is a few states have "discouraged" the damaging of private property to find relics such as those from the Civil War but banning people who own the property outright is not correct. Doing a quick search, I came across a lengthy report from the National Park Service that gives a chronology of various federal laws and state statues that clarifies this debate a little better.

For reading in your copious free time, here's the link to the report.

www.cr.nps.gov/archeology/PUBS/TECHBR/tch11PR.htm

HH!

-Hunter

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
CaptainZossima said:
Remember why the French and American Revolutions started? The so called Gov'ts became an elite group of vulnerable thieves.
Just a historical reminder. CZ
Hello Gil,
Hope it will not happen, federal beauracy has been allowed too much authority and has become about as dictatorial as any country could ever possibly become.

I agree with you Captain, nothing our federal officials do today surprize me, they can't defeat terrorists,
so like a sick bully they pick a fight with those who they believe are unable to give them a good fight.
Their own people. :( :( :(
SS

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far the only privately owned sites that are regulated by the government are grave sites. Hopefully this will? remain the only one.
Any other regulating is not needed and would be frivolous and a total waste of tax payers money to enforce anyway.

Ed

L

Lex

I live in Florida and there is a grave law here that actually says that if a grave is found on private property it has to be maintained by the land owner (to the gov specs) or moved. If it is moved the land owner has to pay the expenses. The gov decides which.

The other item it states is that if there is a gravesite on private peoperty that decendants and visitors have the rights of easement and that the owner must not block the easement in any way or block attempts to visits.

Come to think about it...I asked pemission to hunt the ghost town of old Manatee County. But the owners (CSI or CMI? phosphates) said no....Wonder if I can claim a relative:P

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AMEN tr5kcapt!!!!!....I've got over 180 acres of private land that just so happen's to back up to the "bloody" battelefield,I'll be damned if they tell me to leave!!!!!!

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
They are not going to stop you from detecting on private land. That is just insane. If they thought they could they might but not even our Gov. has B&!!S that big. I was with a buddy doing some target shooting on his property that backs up to national forest. A younger smart a$$ forest ranger pulled up on his property and ask what he was doing with a rifle like that in the woods. He had his AR 15 out he carries it around his property all of the time. He very nicely explained that we were doing a little shooting and the ranger told him that if he caught him on the national forest land with that rifle that he would take it from him. He quickly explained to him that he was right on both counts he would have to catch him and he would have to take it. When the ranger saw that he was not dealing with the normal coward he quickly changed his tune and left. When they tell me that I can not detect on my own property they will have to catch me and will have to stop me and it ain't going to happen. Just my thoughts.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree.......better for the history to be in the hands of the public rather then rotting in the ground.......better to be seen in the hands of a child then spending etenity in the cold ground....... the best thing to do is to put it all in a mueseum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread