Civil war digs...about to be out lawed

Gil Finn

Nov 20, 2004
These are some ordance fragments and bottles I have found over the years shown with a reproduction musket.

I understand the feds are about to ban the digging of artifacts on private lands such as these finds.

This will be a shame and a heavey handed attemp to take more rights from the private citizen. It will hurt local histoty buffs, libraries and schools as the wealth of our past will not be available anew.

cw015.jpg

Upvote 0

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
swingingmydfx said:
They are not going to stop you from detecting on private land. That is just insane. If they thought they could they might but not even our Gov. has B&!!S that big. I was with a buddy doing some target shooting on his property that backs up to national forest. A younger smart a$$ forest ranger pulled up on his property and ask what he was doing with a rifle like that in the woods. He had his AR 15 out he carries it around his property all of the time. He very nicely explained that we were doing a little shooting and the ranger told him that if he caught him on the national forest land with that rifle that he would take it from him. He quickly explained to him that he was right on both counts he would have to catch him and he would have to take it. When the ranger saw that he was not dealing with the normal coward he quickly changed his tune and left. When they tell me that I can not detect on my own property they will have to catch me and will have to stop me and it ain't going to happen. Just my thoughts.

That's the law here in Ireland, anything in the soil belongs to the State, even if its your land. It's hardly enforceable, but I am carefull where I go.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
DJ_Quinn said:
swingingmydfx said:
They are not going to stop you from detecting on private land. That is just insane. If they thought they could they might but not even our Gov. has B&!!S that big. I was with a buddy doing some target shooting on his property that backs up to national forest. A younger smart a$$ forest ranger pulled up on his property and ask what he was doing with a rifle like that in the woods. He had his AR 15 out he carries it around his property all of the time. He very nicely explained that we were doing a little shooting and the ranger told him that if he caught him on the national forest land with that rifle that he would take it from him. He quickly explained to him that he was right on both counts he would have to catch him and he would have to take it. When the ranger saw that he was not dealing with the normal coward he quickly changed his tune and left. When they tell me that I can not detect on my own property they will have to catch me and will have to stop me and it ain't going to happen. Just my thoughts.

That's the law here in Ireland, anything in the soil belongs to the State, even if its your land. It's hardly enforceable, but I am carefull where I go.
Thats Just One Of The Reasons My Ansesters Came To The U.S.A. trk5capt...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread