Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "how" is for believe it or not so, I won't try, much.

I couldn't get out, (again), today so I puttered around the house, figured to research some old books. While trying to pick out which old book to peruse, I knocked over my ATP. It landed leaning on the bookshelf. The impact was minimal, it pushed one book back further than the others. So, I thanked the ATP for choosing for me, set it upright and sat down to read. I opened the book and this fell out.

2014 (51).jpg

Like I said, believe it, or not. :dontknow: LOL

I'll just let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

2014 (49).jpg
2014 (50).jpg
2014 (47).jpg
2014 (41).jpg
2014 (42).jpg
2014 (43).jpg
2014 (44).jpg
2014 (45).jpg
2014 (46).jpg
2014 (48).jpg

I am simply flabbergasted and for the first time in a long time, speechless. :)

Sorry for the poor pics, don't have much to take them with anymore.

Feel free to comment.

Thanks for peeking.

Upvote 15

MANFROMCLAD01

Nov 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is that real??? OMG! a piece of paper that lasted 200 years??? Wow! Talk about reaching back and touching history!

if thats not something worthy of being up top nothing is! If it helps i clicked the banner button.

thank you for showing this nice piece of history!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one awesome find and without Blingie sacrilege. :hello2:

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the most part, the paper from that time period holds up very weel over the years. They used acid-free paper, and as long as it isn't exposed to heat, acid (other newer paper), high humidity, and UV rays, should last many lifetimes. I too have a number of C.W. papers, and for the most part, are in excellent shape. What WILL cause damage will be the constant opening and closing of the document. It needs to be put in a frame, and if there is writing on both sides, possibly put between 2 pieces of glass, so that both sides can be viewed. Congrats!

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Nimrod (there's a name for ya) and his brother Daniel enlisted on the same day in the fall of 1861. Both were mustered into Co. G, 23rd KY Vols (USA). Nimrod lasted in the regt for a bit over a year, but his brother Daniel deserted two months after enlisting. Both missed the regiments hard fight at Stones River at the end of Dec. '62.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the most part, the paper from that time period holds up very weel over the years. They used acid-free paper, and as long as it isn't exposed to heat, acid (other newer paper), high humidity, and UV rays, should last many lifetimes. I too have a number of C.W. papers, and for the most part, are in excellent shape. What WILL cause damage will be the constant opening and closing of the document. It needs to be put in a frame, and if there is writing on both sides, possibly put between 2 pieces of glass, so that both sides can be viewed. Congrats!

Thanks for the tips! For some reason I never thought about putting it between two pieces of glass! That's an excellent idea!

Pretty humbling to have something as personal and fragile as a piece of paper from the Civil War.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nimrod (there's a name for ya) and his brother Daniel enlisted on the same day in the fall of 1861. Both were mustered into Co. G, 23rd KY Vols (USA). Nimrod lasted in the regt for a bit over a year, but his brother Daniel deserted two months after enlisting. Both missed the regiments hard fight at Stones River at the end of Dec. '62.

I've been reading about him. Isn't that just marvelous to find something with such a direct tie to all that history?

Thanks!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning find! This personal piece of history in our hands... I understand you're in shock! Hard to beat with a detector....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions