Civil War find today (I think)

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
Today a good friend and I hit the private fields of a Western Maryland civil war battlefield and came up with a good find. This is a brass heel or toe plate from a shoe. (At least I think that it is...and I'm open to suggestions.) There are no markings on it other than the holes were tags went into the sole or heel.

I was located about four inches down using a White's XLT.

Attachments

• Heel plate.jpg
    Heel plate.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,064
  • Heel plate2.jpg
    Heel plate2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,109
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...it's a toe clip...no way of telling if it's civil war related though. I believe these were on the vast majority of boots at that time frame as well as well before and after.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Yep...it's a toe clip...no way of telling if it's civil war related though. I believe these were on the vast majority of boots at that time frame as well as well before and after.

Funny, thinking the same thing, but with little reference material I was holding back :icon_thumright:

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good find, you keep finding things related to boots or shoes.

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Hey, if you were in an area known for CW history then that's what I'd call it. I think that's fair. Nice find either way!

Elliott Ness

Dec 1, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac / Garett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, we always seem to be able to find a keeper when we get out there. Your brass toe plate is pictured in Howard Crouch's Civil War Artifacts book on pg. 143 item #7. Maybe it belongs on the boot that went to the spur you found not to long ago. Cant wait until the next hunt. HH

Attachments

• CIMG2543.JPG
    CIMG2543.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 931

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elliott Ness said:
Mike, we always seem to be able to find a keeper when we get out there. Your brass toe plate is pictured in Howard Crouch's Civil War Artifacts book on pg. 143 item #7. Maybe it belongs on the boot that went to the spur you found not to long ago. Cant wait until the next hunt. HH

This is problem with books (sometimes), they are often subjective & even wrong. If I find one in the UK is it then CW related?
If it were a known camp it would add weight to the argument but even then doesn't guarantee anything unless from a sealed dateable archaeological layer. Also it could be CW related & found at a homestead but difficult to prove. I'm not trying to put a downer on the find (it could well be CW) only widen its interpretation so that everyone can look at these type of things with an open mind & doesn't blindly believe the books (which I have many of & pick & choose the facts carefully based on a broader knowledge base).

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice toe tap.

I get those alot at early sites. Good indicator more is around.

HH Jer

Jimmy D

Jul 10, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, Minelab X-Terra 70
Good find Mike, since this area was the site of a major civil war battle I would also say most likley civil war artifact. Hopefully we can get back out real soon...........................Good find

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is my 2008-09 collection. They are from old homestead sites. None of these should be considered strictly "Civil War" finds. They are civilian items, although soldiers used them too--much like common flat buttons or suspender clips. I enjoy finding them though, since they are old and they do have a story to tell.

Finds 018-1.jpg

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
Poptopagain

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
That's a very cool collection Buckleboy. Thanks for sharing. Are they all made from brass?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poptopagain said:
That's a very cool collection Buckleboy. Thanks for sharing. Are they all made from brass?

Yes, they are brass. The time frame on these is probably 1840 to 1900 or so. I'm convinced that the ones with the bigger holes in them date later than the others--perhaps as late as the 1920s on that style. This is all from estimating the age of my sites based on the other finds found.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some of the toe taps have dates on the end of them. If its not worn off. Nice finds HH.....

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always had them on my boots, was told it slows down the wear and tear on the boot.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Below is my 2008-09 collection. They are from old homestead sites. None of these should be considered strictly "Civil War" finds. They are civilian items, although soldiers used them too--much like common flat buttons or suspender clips. I enjoy finding them though, since they are old and they do have a story to tell.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Good information, this is the sort of education I was trying to inforce. Not every 'labelled' CW artefact is what it seems (some are, of course). If everyone just agrees (or believes the books) it gets a life of its own. Knowledge is the key to the better understanding of the everyday items we find. Often the most common are the least studied, & therefore are commonly mis-understood.

I hope this type of post helps everyone, & thanks to the poster :icon_thumright:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:

Regards,

Buckleboy

My collection looks like yours B.B!!I dug over 30 of them at one site last year it must have been the camp cobbler!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread