Civil war find

JimmyTheHand

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the civil war rather she'll casings from a Spanish Civil war camp in Mich. This is first find in trying to locate where the camp was. I'm trying to identify the 2 cartridge casings I found. Any help?

The 1 on left has 10 f 81 with crimping at base. The other has R 4 F 8 as far as I can see. The F is for Franford Arsenal

Attachments

• 20160913_174112.jpg
    20160913_174112.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Upvote 7

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Both are 45-70 shells However one has a normal primer and the other has what is called a Benet primer. The two numbers represent the date they were made. One was made in October of 1884 and the other looks like April of 188? (I can't read the last number of the regular primer one)

45-70 name was given because the bullet diameter is .45 and they used 70 grains of black powder. They were most likely fired from a Springfield 1873 "Trapdoor" rifle.

You might want to know why they are smashed. That was a directive from the Secretary of War.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JimmyTheHand

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thanks bud. Don't know how it got flipped over. A little back story. I worked as a seasonal park ranger in the state park where the camp is located. That was 45 years ago. Back then I didn't know a camp was there. Been doing some research and camps name was Camp Eaton and was set up expressly to send troops to the Spanish Civil War. Took the md out there a couple of times and had no luck. Yesterday I tried a different spot and found the cartridges. Now that I seem to be zoning in and reading a couple of accounts of the camp I have some more ideas where to look.

OP
OP
J

JimmyTheHand

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScubaDetector, thanks for that bit of info. I was wondering why both cartridges were smashed.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have found live ones in a lake in West Bloomfield MI. I also have a bayonet for one and a few military buttons. I for sure found where they camped and lost stuff either over a boat or maybe they were on the ice. Not a clue. I have 18 pistol cartridges and 3 live 45-70. I am hoping to find a gun down there but probably doubtful. All the ones you will find on the ground will have been stepped on most likely unless they couldn't find it or in a hurry to get out of there.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds, Jimmy and Fantastic feedback, Scuba! The only thing I can add is to watch the movie "Quigley Down Under" for some cool action scenes with the 45-70!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VPNavy, you are an excellent picture editor!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread