Civil War Hotchkiss Artillery Round - ATX Goes Deep

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug the pictured Hotchkiss round in the woods of Alabama the other day. I measured the depth at 29 inches. If there is little trash in an area, which hasn't seen much human activity over the years, the ATX will easily hit on deep iron. It's missing its sabot and base plate, but the percussion fuse has a nice patina. I've attached a few photos of the round and one of the hole minus several layers of tough roots! There's also an attempt at a "selfie" of me (ugly but happy mug) and the round. Thanks for viewing, Dan

IMG_0029.jpg IMG_0031.jpg IMG_0084.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Upvote 11

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where was this post hiding?Sa-weet find!I don't think there is anything more exciting to find then a shell,exspeacialy when you start getting down to it and realize what you are unearthing. Congrats

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Think I'm going to start digging iron on purpose now.
That big deep iron sounds good anyway,why not?Of course with a shell ya might have to listen for that slight sound

Last edited:

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
Thanks OD and I appreciate your concern. CW artillery rounds are very stable and unless one exposes the round to a heat source or tries to render inert without the correct knowledge, there won't be any issues. Although, subsequent to the CW, changes were made to US artillery rounds that resulted in their being less stable over time. I definitely would stay away from any and all of that such ordnance!

Thanks for the info. Living near Chicago as I do, I've never had the chance to dig anything from the CW so I had no idea how stable shells from that era are.

As it is, the most volatile thing I've dug up is the occasional dropped shotgun shell. lol

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool Hotchkiss, deep one too! Congratulations!

Steve

OP
OP
N.O. noir et d'or

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info. Living near Chicago as I do, I've never had the chance to dig anything from the CW so I had no idea how stable shells from that era are.

As it is, the most volatile thing I've dug up is the occasional dropped shotgun shell. lol

Oh, I've dug a number of those as well! It is an advantage living in the Deep South to have access to some Civil War sites. Our other "advantages" are extreme heat, poisoness snakes, every kind of stinging insect and tons of poison ivy!!! Again thanks for your initial concern. Dan

OP
OP
N.O. noir et d'or

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
where was this post hiding?Sa-weet find!I don't think there is anything more exciting to find then a shell,exspeacialy when you start getting down to it and realize what you are unearthing. Congrats

Thanks DI! You hit the nail on the head. There aren't too many things better than digging a really deep target in anticipation of being a complete shell.

OP
OP
N.O. noir et d'or

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great find I'm sure your first signal was a little blip or beep. Those are in my opinion the best indicators of a relic hunters skill! I think we both know the answer to the question about explosion risk.

Thanks DV! You're exactly right re the first small signal. Although, not to have other trash in the area is a big help as well. There's nothing like digging half of an old metal bucket for over an hour!

OP
OP
N.O. noir et d'or

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find! Think I'm going to start digging iron on purpose now.

Thanks LK! Good idea, but it can be frustrating to cut through several layers of roots to find an old can! Nature of the beast I suppose to find the good ones.

OP
OP
N.O. noir et d'or

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have one in mint condition passed down from generations.......I would love to find and dug one

This was my third RJW. I would love to have a mint one. I'm going to restore it as close as I can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread