Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I would not, without the finders permission contact the family concern. It was his right to do this himself. That said, its now in the public domain, & when you post on here you have to expect this kind of thing. Its an open forum. No-one controls who see it, other than GOOGLE.

Exactly! NOW it is in the public domain. THAT, is the reason I will not post any SUPER finds. Here, or anywhere. This thread has proven this to me.

A shame, but, not going to walk with eyes closed, just mouth shut. (In some circumstances ;) )

HH!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw a soldier silver ring today @ Nicks shop. he is got one Mark you should come by and look @ it.

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
That whole grand children thing/ at minimum it would be great great grand children. A generation every 30ish years? I'm 40 my great grandmother was born in 1906. Anyways, that it one fan friggin tastic find!!!

OP
OP
Mark1985

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was going to stop by there yesterday hut but couldn't find the time is his in his collection or he selling his ?

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark he is selling this one @ the show in Fredericksburg on April 12th. He is asking over $750 for it. Nick will be in the shop tomorrow in the morning but after 11am me and him are going out hunting in a spot in Fredericksburg!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark1985

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope to see his at the show was he able to find a picture and info on the former owner of his hut ?

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think he went that far on the ring too find the ancestors. He didn't find it he bought it off someone there pretty rare and most CW shops dont have em most are tucked away in private collections.

RKDbuyer

Mar 21, 2013
Cape Girardeau, MO
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one great find. The history with the picture of the gent...what a great thing MD is. I am glad you posted. Thanks.

MrJohn

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
The beautiful rolling hills of Berkshire County Ma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find! As far as the debate about ownership, I feel that if the soldiers family wanted it, they would have been out there sweeping the are with their gear.

I would like to apologize for how callus my previous statement seemed. I wasn't very specific with my reasoning, and I feel that I may have come off as some treasure grabbing goof ball, with no sense of decency. The thought I was trying to convey is, This piece is of significant historical value, and blindly turning it over could result in it becoming seen as nothing more than an item to be sold off as opposed to being appreciated for the amazing historical relic that it truly is. Nothing would be worse than turning it over to someone that wouldn't appreciate the true history of such a great piece. The last thing you want is for this to end up on e-bay, getting sold for booze/drug money. Placing such an outstanding item in a museum, then contacting the family just seems to make more sense to me. Sorry if my previous statement offended anyone, that wasn't my intention.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find. As far as the debate about ownership. If the soldiers family wanted it, they would have been out there sweeping the are with their gear.

That has to be one of the most rediculous things I have ever heard here...but then again this place is made up of all kinds.

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
76157586_131601752551.jpg

Wonder what Richardson would have thought of this? Seems like a ritzy fellow.

18 year old kid...............

OP
OP
Mark1985

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jones how do you find this stuff?

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
Mark:)

Honesty I'm alright at research meaning pretty good at what I do:)

Been treasure hunting for 30 years doesn't hurt either..............

Last edited:

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think posting this hero's grave stone with these comments is inappropriate!

Really??? Why, wouldn't you want someone to speak or think of you 150 years after your death??

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What else can be said . I have been getting online late and for short peroids of time over the HOLY Day weekend & just noticed the post of the ring for the first time this afternoon , I would have voted banner as well , but you did not need my vote anyway. True no place is ever hunted out , I tend to believe that some relics are waiting for the one thats SUPPOST to find them , as a local "Wildman" once told me. All tho I am in envy of the exquisite and unique piece of America's History . I am glad someone who appreciates the meaning it has to all relic hunters and Civil War historians alike. This discovery also gives much hope to relic hunters [new and old] that there are still beautiful & rare items still to be saved from the ravages of time. My deepest heart felt congradulations to you. Davers

What he said :)

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
Erik your so righteous...............That was done out of respect and adimartaion for Richardson instead your everything Ayan Rand talked about in her book.

You want us to feel bad and obligated to the masses, buddy your medicore at best. Your certainly coming acorss as jealoues and a petty person.

Most likley you work for a government agency or want to.

If you gave it time I'm sure Mark would realize he's looking at lenghtly research project. Maybe he would consider reaching out to the acedimac community but still retaining full ownership. To tell the whole story is now Mark's responbility to humanity Richardson and himself. All one can do is encourage him at the same time not trying to make him feel guilty or ripping him off.

Rick

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark1985

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have all the respect and admiration for every one that has severed alive or dead to make our country great and give us the freedoms we have today I just am blessed to own a piece of one such person

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread