image-2065692769.jpg

image-2286720303.jpg

image-475294886.jpg

Upvote 50

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to Ancestry.com Gustavus had two younger brothers at the time of the 1860 Census. Their names were Henry and Chas. (Charles)
There are two people (families) that include Gustavus in their family tree. They are the Ashley Schandelmayer Family Tree, and LMR Family Tree.
I have sent both owners of those trees internal Ancestry.com emails telling them of this thread. Again, I hope I wasn't wrong for doing so. It could take days or even weeks for either of them to answer as Ancestry.com does not send the email on to a personal address, it just holds it within the site until you come back to follow up.

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....I want say Congrats on such an awesome find. whatever you decide to do with the Ring is your decision IMHO. the History of the young man is a great story, like many others who gave their lives for their cause back then. without you, that ring would still be lost, for the ages. That is a Banner find if I ever saw one, AND, this is after all Treasurenet, the place to share your stories and pictures of your finds. Glad to see such a great find, Thank You

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erik your so righteous...............That was done out of respect and adimartaion for Richardson instead your everything Ayan Rand talked about in her book.

You want us to feel bad and obligated to the masses, buddy your medicore at best. Your certainly coming acorss as jealoues and a petty person.
Rick

Rick, what an ugly thing to say. I abhor ugliness... does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know, Rick, if I thought you weren't my friend, I just don't think I could bear it. :laughing7:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
It is obvious based on the silly bickering on this thread that we all have different opinions. That's not the problem - the problem is when people think that their opinion is right. I'll keep my opinion to myself and just congratulate Mark on an amazing - once in a lifetime find.

Last edited:

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
Crusader If you read the thread you would see I said the current living relatives should be part of the story.

Eric posting a picture of a gravestone and then having problems with me over that caused the debate to get personal. We'll leave personal issues behind if your willing?

Other than that really question posting some things on here.

OP
OP
Mark1985

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is that star next to his name on the grave stone ? Also what do you think the thing at the top of the stone symbolizes

Last edited:

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
Have an opinion but only research could turn up factual information.

Your outside of a academic environment where all costs of research become your burden or not.

Trying to recover these costs say in a book publication might not happen.

At least talking to the family might fill in other missing parts. Possible he kept a diary. Maybe more pics? You never know what will show up.

Just my opinions:) Lacking time to do other research.

Wanted to get out and detect some sites in Western Va ...........Ok where did Lee drop his gold ring again?

carnage1on1

Greenie
May 22, 2011
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1260X
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that ring will be really special to one of his ancestors. It would be hard to give it up I bet, but will mean so much to a family member.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Your always going to get some disagreements on a forum like this.

If your inferring that I should keep my opinion to myself, then you are then discouraging all those that want to help. This forum would not be worth being part of if we all followed YOUR opinion because all you would read is NICE FIND! How crap would that be?

At the end of the day, he has tons more info than if he hadn't of posted, including a picture. Plus an army of people willing to help for FREE, if he just asks. He has been told how to research, which others have pick-up on & used themselves. This has been useful for any open minded person who has read it. If you think about what we would have with a forum of NICE FINDS & people not posting, just incase someone anywhere in the world gives their opinion, then Tnet clapses into a backhole.

What you are basically implying is we scrap the 'What Is It' Forum & have no IDs, because I & others give opinions all the time. So no-one gets any the wiser & we all suffer from it. Please think before making these type of comments. Its not helpful & it makes me think about why I bother trying to give what I consider the best advice I can; based on REAL experience (Dad & I's lifetime detecting).

If just 1 person takes on board what I'm trying to achieve on this thread the world will be slightly better for it & the finder/reader will be rewarded 10 times over. (I/Dad have proved this, so its hardly an opinion, it's a tried & tested formula) My suggestion can & does lead to new land & the new land leads to a massive collection of finds you never thought could happen. Or we can do it your way & everyone losses, right? Everyone has the option to press the ignore button & keep people like me out of view, its your right to not read/learn.

You should go back and read my post and not read between the lines. I never said that you (or anyone for that matter) shouldn't express your opinion just don't be close minded into thinking that your opinion is the only way. Having read your post for some time now it is obvious that you have a wealth of knowledge and the forum benifits from your input. While you have every right to feel the way you do about what people should do with their finds it does get old listening to you get on your soapbox telling others what the right thing to do is. This is the point I am trying to make about people believing that their opinion is the only way and the right way. BTW, I didn't know about the ignore button. I might have to give that I try.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be one of the most incredible CW relics I have have ever seen! Simply amazing! A find of a lifetime for sure.
Many congrats to ya!!
:notworthy:
Nana

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should go back and read my post and not read between the lines. I never said that you (or anyone for that matter) shouldn't express your opinion just don't be close minded into thinking that your opinion is the only way. Having read your post for some time now it is obvious that you have a wealth of knowledge and the forum benifits from your input. While you have every right to feel the way you do about what people should do with their finds it does get old listening to you get on your soapbox telling others what the right thing to do is. This is the point I am trying to make about people believing that their opinion is the only way and the right way. BTW, I didn't know about the ignore button. I might have to give that I try.

Sometimes the right or proper thing to do is simply common sense and self-evident, not an "opinion." There are some tacit rules that we as the metal detecting community follow for the bettering of the hobby and ourselves:

1. Don't hunt any private property without permission.
2. Don't hunt in graveyards/cemeteries.
3. Notify the landowner of any significant finds (and all finds if he requests it).
4. Attempt to return items to the original owner (or next of kin) whenever an owner can be determined.
5. Remove all junk we dig from a site and try to leave it in better condition than when found.
6. ALWAYS refill your holes and when on a lawn, be as neat as possible in doing so.

This is not an exhaustive list, just some that come to mind as I write this post. You typically won't find these rules posted anywhere and yet everyone here is aware of them or should be if they pick up a metal detector.

snicker

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark, congrats on a really cool find. I registered to this site to add my comments to this thread. I am not a treasure hunter, but I do study genealogy and history, so maybe I have a different perspective than some here. I do have ancestors that fought in the civil war and I have some treasured artifacts, but nothing as cool as your ring. I would love to have that ring from one of my gggg grandfathers. But I would in no way feel entitled to such a find. I would first be thankful that someone made such a find. I would be thankful to have a photo of it. And I would be thankful to have a chance to buy it at full fair market price if the finder ever chose to sell it, and I would not be looking for a family discount. I'd probably pay more than market because it would mean more to me. And in that case, you wouldn't be worried that someone was just wanting ownership of an item to cash the item.

This is different, imho, than an item where there is an existing widow or child. Too many generations to have some one guilt you on keeping your find. Well that's my 2 cents. I wish it was my gggg grandfather's ring. I'd be making you an offer! Maybe I'd have to outbid a cousin. And if you wouldn't sell, I'd respect that, and ask for dibs if you ever changed your mind.

spook

Greenie
Sep 3, 2012
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Garret, Whites Blue&Gray
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
find a family member and give it back to the blood.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHY has this not been made BANNER yet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread