prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. . . i was going to ask for some info on this, but the one on the "banner" was staring me in the face. :tongue3: The reverse says. . Abram Compton, Monterey, NY ll Cavy.
-This was found at a cellar hole about 4 miles from the Town of Monterey. The only info i could find on him was his name and the fact that he was able to fight for the Union army.
Pro-

Attachments

• CWToken.JPG
    CWToken.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 164
  • cwtokenrev.JPG
    cwtokenrev.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 168
  • A,Compton.JPG
    A,Compton.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Mduty,.JPG
    Mduty,.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 26
OP
OP
prolab69

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the other side of the ID tag I found. Sorry for the multiple posts. I know it's in rough shape. Open to ideas for how to clean this. Thanks!

View attachment 1359110
hard to tell, that is in some rough shape, when i found mine i could`t read anything on it. 20 mins in heated hydrogen peroxide cleaned it right up. I would`t risk any more then 20mins tho.

OP
OP
prolab69

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to reunite the two for a short spell today.

Attachments

• 100_4410.JPG
    100_4410.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 44

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:rolleyes: Some threads just don't get enough recognition , not sure why but imho what history !
Pa. Cavalry wounded horse soldier survivor personnel effects like a recovered id aka ... "dog tag " c'mon T netters don't let this one go away without a few more replies .
Abram beat the odds and got home from Hell , Amazing story

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:rolleyes: Some threads just don't get enough recognition , not sure why but imho what history !
Pa. Cavalry wounded horse soldier survivor personnel effects like a recovered id aka ... "dog tag " c'mon T netters don't let this one go away without a few more replies .
Abram beat the odds and got home from Hell , Amazing story

Agreed man....and he's got a great name [emoji12]

BullBat

Nov 23, 2013
The Left Coast
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are the things that make me wonder.

There was a man who died 109 years ago whose name slowly left the memories of others save for member(s) of the family, researching their roots, and the memorial at his bed of final rest where his name still holds a place.

The man appears to have not sought fame nor notoriety. The man did not appear to take any action to have his name known a century later. The man had no possible way of knowing how technology and social networking might change that.

Until a week ago, that man's name still hadn't been known to any more people than the occasional passer-by at a graveyard who might have glanced at his stone.

Today, at last count, 1,005 people might still not know the man, but they have seen his name...Abram Compton. Some now know that the man tended to his business as he saw it, attended to a conflict that no matter what his opinion may have been, his participation was his proper course.

A small group of like-minded hobbyists have enjoyed learning a little about Abram Compton, a common man of his time, and a forgotten soul lives again.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There was a man who died 109 years ago whose name slowly left the memories of others save for member(s) of the family, researching their roots, and the memorial at his bed of final rest where his name still holds a place.

The man appears to have not sought fame nor notoriety. The man did not appear to take any action to have his name known a century later. The man had no possible way of knowing how technology and social networking might change that.

Until a week ago, that man's name still hadn't been known to any more people than the occasional passer-by at a graveyard who might have glanced at his stone.

Today, at last count, 1,005 people might still not know the man, but they have seen his name...Abram Compton. Some now know that the man tended to his business as he saw it, attended to a conflict that no matter what his opinion may have been, his participation was his proper course.

A small group of like-minded hobbyists have enjoyed learning a little about Abram Compton, a common man of his time, and a forgotten soul lives again.

Well said my friend. The coolest part of this hobby to me is these connections to history after so many years

OP
OP
prolab69

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I kind a got choked up reading this reply.. . Yeah, it would have been nice to see this up top, but this reply was enough for me, just knowing I was able to bring his name to life for a short spell and how it effected others as they read along is more than i could ever ask for.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 100_4412.JPG
    100_4412.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_4410.JPG
    100_4410.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 57

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread