Civil War Lead and Brass that go BOOM!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got yesterday for what will probably be the last venture into the depth for the summer...it was outright cold!

The day started with some exploring and while nothing came fast and furious the day was steady.

My first target was a case-shot from a civil war artillery shell (lead round balls) and then a mixture of dropped and fired bullets, along with additional case shot rounded the day out.

My take was 23 civil war era bullets and case shot. 10 of the bullets were dropped .58 and .54 three ringers of various sorts. (funny enough) another 10 were fired civil war three ringers (.58 & .54) along with some additional case-shot.

I managed to find three civil war bullets made into fishing sinkers (some more crude than others). I really do enjoy finding them!

My best two finds of the day came in civil war artillery fuses. First was a timed fuse that exploded out of the shell. There are two very unique qualities to this piece. 1. The fuse still has the black enamel coating on the top and 2. the underside of the fuse shows where the case-shot pushed up (forcing the fuse out) upon explosion. This is really a unique piece as the case-shot I dug fit almost perfectly in place (these came from various other areas of the trip, but show how it occurred)

The second fuse is a Schenkl Combination (U.S.) which used a timing system (part of which can be seen here) where small holes spiraling down that side allowed for timed detonation.

I also recovered a nice civil war era hand axe (found below where a fortification once stood) and a few artillery fragments.

The long metal rod with brass lever and brass lock is unknown to me and any help would be appreciated. The lower rod is hollow and took a threaded cap (which I broke off :( ) and the top is solid.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    851.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    581.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    691.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    606.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    531.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    599.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    788.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 23

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you were able to get one last load of lead and brass for the season. Nice job on the fuses. And that style axe/hatchet, although found on CW sites, was also used in the 18th century. But based on the context in which yours was found, I'm sure yours was 19th century unless it was a hand-me-down from 75 years earlier. On to the fields now .....

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always love fuses - and a twofer! Your last iron item looks like a fireplace poker if it's not a harpoon!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always love fuses - and a twofer! Your last iron item looks like a fireplace poker if it's not a harpoon!

Thanks - someone ID'd it already and it is indeed a harpoon or spear for diving...fire place poker was my wife's thought ha ha

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG IT BILL THATS A NICE RELIC SPILL . I WOULD LOVE TO FIND A SITE THAT PRODUCES CW LIKE THAT .

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks - someone ID'd it already and it is indeed a harpoon or spear for diving...fire place poker was my wife's thought ha ha

She actually said she was going to beat you with a fireplace poker but you must have missed the first part :)

Nice assortment of lead and silver. I would love to see you make some videos...not just making guest appearances in Beau's.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice collection and great information that you have on them. Love the knowledge that you possess.

corpsman

Jul 7, 2015
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Had: Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Bandito 2 uMax, Tesoro Bandito 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great finds!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on all of those beautiful bullets Dan! :occasion14:

But what really gets me excited is seeing that civil war era hand axe, it's like clean, clean, clean! :o

Dave

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you were able to get one last load of lead and brass for the season. Nice job on the fuses. And that style axe/hatchet, although found on CW sites, was also used in the 18th century. But based on the context in which yours was found, I'm sure yours was 19th century unless it was a hand-me-down from 75 years earlier. On to the fields now .....
Ahhhh too the fields....yea man...I have to admit, while I was freezing in the water, I could not help but think about the peanut fields in our future!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She actually said she was going to beat you with a fireplace poker but you must have missed the first part :)

Nice assortment of lead and silver. I would love to see you make some videos...not just making guest appearances in Beau's.

Joey, I made some years ago, but left them to Beau...I am not made for film! ha ha

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That iron rod with the brass lever rings a bell, and I think it might be a linstock. Nice finds!!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That iron rod with the brass lever rings a bell, and I think it might be a linstock. Nice finds!!

Thanks Sling...it actually is a fishing spear/harpoon end for dive spear fishing (early, but not civil war obviously). A few hardcore collectors ID'd it pretty quickly on facebook and had examples of some with brass barbs/locks.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff! Congrats on the very nice fuse!!

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions