Civil War Payroll gold may have been found in Elk County PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right....the guy at the pawn shop didn't want the first 3 bars because of some stupid letters stamped in them....i think it was P.USGOV so I ran them down to 1 ounce each, made a cash deal at $900 per ounce....50 X 16 x $900 is $216,000....hell I haven't bothered with the other 2 yet, let alone the other 23 still out In the woods.

Your math is wrong in several ways.
Hopefully you don’t buy/sell much gold.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it's right....as i said it was part of the CASH DEAL (to avoid the Feds), the deal was well under spot price and NOT in troy ounces.
So please don't worry about me and my gold!

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are definitely a good sport Tedyoh. And I hope you don't mind my "devil's advocate" tone at times. I truly appreciate your insights and views.
It's all good.....your knowledge is appreciated as well.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it's right....as i said it was part of the CASH DEAL (to avoid the Feds), the deal was well under spot price and NOT in troy ounces.
So please don't worry about me and my gold!

I was just saying 50 x 16 x $900 = $720,000 not $213,000
Minor difference. Never mind the whole Troy ounce thing.

Hey, as long as your figures made you happy at the end of the day.
That’s all that matters. Wasn’t attacking you...more of a friendly joke.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just saying 50 x 16 x $900 = $720,000 not $213,000
Minor difference. Never mind the whole Troy ounce thing.

Hey, as long as your figures made you happy at the end of the day.
That’s all that matters. Wasn’t attacking you...more of a friendly joke.
<whispers> this is how I get the Fed's to discredit me.....

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I have a interest in treasure stories. In this case I read the story. Made a trip to the area to look it over and that was that.
After all at that time I was a Police veteran of 25 years. I conduct searches based on some fact. It was lacking in this case.
I did a good turn for someone. Through that good turn I found out 2 bars were found. Now hidden under the finders bed. Needless to say that was the beginning of a long investigation and search on my part. I applied my skills as a investigator and crime scene tech to my search
Making blanket statements that treasure stories are this and that is foolish. You in the wrong hobby. If you find a story that interest you and can back it up with some fact go for it. You never know what you may find.
In the 1890's the Silver King mine in Arizona was in full swing. Had it own town. That town is now in ruin. Mine is still there. A close friend who was on the Legend show with me owns 1/4 of that mine. Many stories of lost and stollen bars of silver were told over the years. Many said its all bull. He called me a few months back. Said come over I want to show you something.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521478486.107359.jpg
Guess there was something to those legends!

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
That area has a lot of history. Just down the main road is a spot where Robber Lewis was captured. I always thought he may have stashed something there. I found a account of his capture in a old county history that gives a great description of the incident. Easy to put the x on a map. Which I did.
Forgot about that but came across it in my gold bar file. Never had time to search that spot.
In the winter months I would go to the Pittsburgh Carnegie Library and search the old histories. Just thumbing the pages. Picked up a lot of leads for hunts.
You see history is base on facts and legends. A lot of time trying to sort it out.
I'm still under contract. If the gold bar story takes off there may be interest. Oak Island in the mountains
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521481441.423435.jpg

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
sgtfda: The silver mine account reminds me of the Lost Horse Mine highgrade buried in Joshua Tree. That's a park now, of course. Off limits. And Johnny Lang may have lived long enough to spend what he plundered from his partners. It's an old story of more than one mine owning and running a mine.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
sgtfda: The silver mine account reminds me of the Lost Horse Mine highgrade buried in Joshua Tree. That's a park now, of course. Off limits. And Johnny Lang may have lived long enough to spend what he plundered from his partners. It's an old story of more than one mine owning and running a mine.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Cool. Lots of old mine stories out here and lots of old mine to find. Ever hear about the window rock. Not just a hole but a window. Look through and you find a lost silver mine. I was out with friends in the eastern Superstitions. I walked up a steep hill and what did I find. Looked into the window and found this. A old silver mine. I'll go back with the Legend team and search for artifacts that can date it and take some samples. The mine collapsed.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521483796.044353.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521483814.261151.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.. .. View attachment 1566519
Guess there was something to those legends!

I'd take a crack at analyzing this story , if you don't mind. For starters, do tell: What is in the background of the pix you posted ? They look like clay tablets on the wall, with various designs and etchings . I think I know what they are, and what story they are attached to. But .... I want to hear it from you :)

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
A friend who is a retired state trooper out here was chasing a stage robbery story. You know the type story where the robber was shot and the money lost. He found a cave in the area. Up on a ledge in the cave was the mummified remains of the robber. Was fully clothed and still had his boots and gun on. South of Superior up on top of a mountain. He wanted me to go search the area for the loot. But it's way back in there and my knees are acting up. So that is on hold.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I found out 2 bars were found. ...

Or so you heard. And so too does ANY good legend always have a "tip of the iceberg" salacious components. Study each of the legends , and you see this theme again and again.

a) Someone who told someone who told someone who told some about boulder sized nuggets the men came to town with from their "secret mine" (there's the tip of the ice-berg. No doubt more there). Or

b) someone has a single silver bar said to have come from the cave (hence no doubt more there).

c) The drill bit on Oak Island in early efforts said to have come to the surface with a gold link off a chain ! (hence no doubt more there) .

d) Someone wanders in from the desert with a ship plank they found in the shifting desert sand (the tip of the iceberg, hence the Pearl ship is undoubtedly there.

See how the theme of this "tip of the iceberg" cliff-hanger is always there ? I had this happen in Mexico multiple times to me, before I started to see the recurring theme. And see that's it's a common component to most of them now.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Looked into the window and found this. A old silver mine.....

I see you're from Arizona. As such, you *do* realize that states like AZ and NV are RIDDLED with mines. Right ? Past attempts dot the landscape just about anywhere you go in some regions. So ... the existence of a dig or a tunnel could just be randomly expected in some areas. Right ?

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Back to the gold bar incident. I was always One step behind my suspect. He claims the Lt was buried and suspects gold bars were buried with him. He found a homemade headstone with the Lt's name and wanted to get equipment to that spot. I obtained the cords for the general area and located the site. I draw the line on digging up someone's grave. Not for any price. I won't give out that site info. Greed is a funny thing.
Just another part of the tale.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
sgtfda: Any luck on my question in post #353 ? What are the clay tablets mounted on the wall in the background of your pix ?

I'm pretty sure I saw them in an episode of "America Unearthed". Which, as we all know, is a highly reputable show. Right ? ::) But I'll let you elaborate please.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Tom
Copies of the Peralta stone maps. Tumlinson claimed to have found them near the Superstitions. I visited his family in Texas. My opinion. He carved them from a. Family map. That map was featured on my TV show. Legends of the Superstition mountains on History. Using that map I've found gold locations and old mines.
The stones themselves are bull used to con folks over the years. But that is another story that can be followed on the lost Dutchman section of this forum. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521488187.813682.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread