Civil War Payroll gold may have been found in Elk County PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I see you're from Arizona. As such, you *do* realize that states like AZ and NV are RIDDLED with mines. Right ? Past attempts dot the landscape just about anywhere you go in some regions. So ... the existence of a dig or a tunnel could just be randomly expected in some areas. Right ?

True Tom but not in this area. Further north in the mountains yes.
Have you had any luck on your searches? Or do you just troll TNet.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Copies of the Peralta stone maps. ...

thanx for your getting back to me on that.

So .... you will no doubt understand the suspicion others would have now. And thus doubt that the story in #349 , since it's falling into the same camp. For those legions of us who put no stock into those of the likes of ones on America Unearthed . Which you yourself seem to admit silly-ness and "con's" are riddled throughout. When another one (and pix of silver bars, etc...) is put into the same genre as these past caliber ones: Then .... a skeptic could paint new ones, coming from the same source: "with the same brush". :(

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Or do you just troll TNet.

When we define "troll" as someone who gives you more plausible explanations, or troll = anyone who disagrees with my point of view, then sure: Guess that makes me a troll. Conversations of discussing pro's and con's of existence of a treasure should only be the "pro" view. Lest if someone posted a "con" view, then by definition , they're a troll. Got it :)

I'm actually quite fascinated with your posts. Ever since getting swooped up into various treasure legends in my younger days, and finally wising up , I am fascinated with the psychology of treasure fever.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
They are all stories and unless I find some true facts to follow I don't get involved. Out here in the Arizona Superstitions there are a million legends. 99% bull. The stone maps are a great example. Everyone has a opinion and a location. Problem is they found nothing.
Every year Dutchhunters and stoners gather at Dons camp. After I found some nice gold in the mountain they all wanted to see it. I gave some away to them. Told them they searched all their lives for it and did not find a speck. At least they could have a piece. Made no sense they searched all those years for gold but know nothing about prospecting. Here is a shot of a piece in my hand. Belongs to a friend 30 oz in that rock. But that is another story. Wayne and I are doing some YouTube videos following up on legends. We are attempting to prove or disprove depending on what we find ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521491248.418517.jpg

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Tom I assure you I would have not searched for the gold bars unless I knew for a fact 2 were found and I spent years on that one. I'm not the gold fever type. It's just a interesting hobby.

Last edited:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Here are two shots. Tim from the Digger TV show and I. Along with Woody and his son dug out a old Mexican silver mine. We were looking for a stash. Empty hole. The mine was covered and hidden. Ha! They dug and I watched. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521492419.934699.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521492441.118078.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
They are all stories and unless I find some true facts to follow I don't get involved. ....

Be aware: They ALL have some "true facts". True names, dates, and events. So you might say : "Therefore it's just separating the fact from fiction". Right ? But stop and think: If the one teensy part of the story that's non-factual is: "There is no treasure". The what good will it do if the other 95 of the story is true and factual ?

Don't get "lost in the example". All I'm saying is: They all contain "truth". But that doesn't make our end objectives (TH'ing) meritorious, unless that part of the story is true.

.... there are a million legends. 99% bull.....

Ok :occasion14:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I look for physical evidence. Even then the evidence may be from another incident. But when found exactly where the story indicates that's a great lead. Found wagon parts on a ridge. Walk in a SW direction to the county border and found gun parts from the time period right next to where the 2 bars were found. That's good enough for me to keep up the search.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom I assure you I would have not searched for the gold bars unless I knew for a fact 2 were found and I spent years on that one. I'm not the gold fever type. It's just a interesting hobby.

And so too have I been told of goodies founds (tips of icebergs) that turn out to have more plausible explanations. Consider this one:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...why-we-should-skeptical-treasure-stories.html

And how about this one ? The emigrant who got me looped in for cache hunting in Mexico, had old coins to show me. They'd been found in his hometown in the Sierra Madres. Either individuals (so they suspected more) or his part of a cache, or .... some such story. And ... like your bars (if in fact you saw gold bars), I could not deny. The fellow was holding them right there for me to handle and feel. Wow. So a detector should make child's play of finding more like this, eh ?

After 3 weeks down there, hunting more and more old ruins, I began to question some of the stories that had preceded our departure from CA. For example: Could he please tell me more about the coins he'd shown me, that had come from a cache. After some wrangling and effort, I was finally introduced to the friend of his who was a part of this story. And ... guess what ? The friend (who'd passed these on to my friend) didn't really see the recovery himself. But ... not to worry, he got it on good authority from So & so. So... we track down THAT person. And ... guess what ? They didn't actually see the treasure or recovery with their own eyes either. But not to worry, they got it on good authority from so & so. Are you starting to see the permanent regression ?

And do you see in my link above how even supposed "eye-witnesses" can get funky when it comes to origins of treasure they hold or heard about, etc... And no matter how many persons this goes through , it's always spoken of in first-person present tense singular. I began to suspect that the coins I'd seen, were simply numismatic pieces that get passed person to person (sold?) with the story developing that they were a "part of a treasure". Or something you could buy off ebay, or whatever.

Last edited:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
All true. I found what I did grid searching. My partner who lives up that way said its the first time he heard of anyone finding something up there. The first thing found was the ram rod end. At first I thought it was s old pencil until I took a closer look.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521497457.792178.jpg
Finds in that area are few. Not one pull tab. Very remote. In other spots some stuff from the logging period that came later But that stuff is easy to date. Very little corrosion. I sure you understand there are things I won't post. You have your opinion on this story I have my opinion. I was there and you were not. I'm out here in Arizona now searching for other things. After I found out 2 bars were found I searched that spot and found the gun parts. As I said good enough for me. Many court cases are based on circumstantial evidence. You get enough of it you good to go. There is much I won't talk about on a forum.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are in the wrong hollow anyway...

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
They are all stories and unless I find some true facts to follow I don't get involved. Out here in the Arizona Superstitions there are a million legends. 99% bull. The stone maps are a great example. Everyone has a opinion and a location. Problem is they found nothing.
Every year Dutchhunters and stoners gather at Dons camp. After I found some nice gold in the mountain they all wanted to see it. I gave some away to them. Told them they searched all their lives for it and did not find a speck. At least they could have a piece. Made no sense they searched all those years for gold but know nothing about prospecting. Here is a shot of a piece in my hand. Belongs to a friend 30 oz in that rock. But that is another story. Wayne and I are doing some YouTube videos following up on legends. We are attempting to prove or disprove depending on what we find View attachment 1566584
attachment.php

nice

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are in the wrong hollow anyway...

That won't stop True Believers. A few years from now, they'll be back like nothing ever happened.

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not having read the 26 previous pages of comments, (what I'm saying may have been addressed) .. from what I gather from Fox and Yahoo news sources... The gold ordered by Pres. Lincoln to pay troops with was in 50 lb. gold bars ... WHY ? Soldiers have no use for a 50 pound bar. They need coins , jingle for their pockets. Makes no sense to me .. If it was reported as a bullion shipment instead of a pay shipment, I might believe it more.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That won't stop True Believers. A few years from now, they'll be back like nothing ever happened.

That's because they start with the premise that the story is true. So why SHOULDN'T they come back and dig later ? After all, it's a little to the left, a little to the right, or deeper.

Just like the generations of Oak Island hunters. It's never that the treasure isn't there. Facts and results can never point to nothing being there. Instead, facts and results simply get morphed & melded around their starting premise. No matter if you have to add in 100 slaves, crazy conspiracies, far-fetched contingencies, etc.... to make the story work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread