Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this really neat looking three-pronged fork today. When I spotted it among the heaps of junk at the dump I knew it was special.
It is made of wood, pewter, and steel.

My research indicates that it is over 150 years old, dating back to the American Civil War. Though a bit rusty it is in remarkable condition.
The wooden handle is connected to the steel prongs by a pewter inlay in the shape of a three leaf clover. My first Civil War fork, and it's a lucky one! So happy! :D

I read that these were used by both Union and Confederate soldiers:
Z 20150714_184952 3.jpg
Pewter clover inlay:
Z 20150714_184849 2.jpg
There is some rust on it and the handle is dried out and separating on the inside, but it is still in remarkable condition for its age:
Z 20150714_184757 2.jpg Z 20150714_184841 2.jpg

Upvote 27

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find bro! I was waiting for the next dump find. Good save

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is awesome!! I found just the fork part of one at a Union camp but it was toasted. Yours is awesome! Congrats

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a fantastic find. The condition IS amazing.

Congrats.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MINER THAT FORK COULD NOT BE MUCH MORE FINER . LOOKS TO HAVE BEEN ISSUED YESTERDAY. DANG YOU SURE ARE ONE LUCKY FELLA . I FOUND ONE ONLY WITH 2 TINES , HELL I WOULDNT BE SURPRISED IF YOU DONT POST THE KNIFE , SPOON AN PLATE TO GO WITH IT. YOU LUCKY DOG. NICE SHOW CASE PEICE. THE CLOVER INLAY STANDS OUT FOR SURE.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MINER THAT FORK COULD NOT BE MUCH MORE FINER . LOOKS TO HAVE BEEN ISSUED YESTERDAY. DANG YOU SURE ARE ONE LUCKY FELLA . I FOUND ONE ONLY WITH 2 TINES , HELL I WOULDNT BE SURPRISED IF YOU DONT POST THE KNIFE , SPOON AN PLATE TO GO WITH IT. YOU LUCKY DOG. NICE SHOW CASE PEICE. THE CLOVER INLAY STANDS OUT FOR SURE.

Thanks Sutphin! Yes, this is definitely going in a showcase one day. I always keep my eye out for strange looking and unique items, but honestly I didn't know the true significance of what this was until I got home and did some research. I knew it was old but I was stunned to learn it was from the Civil War. I'm still pretty stoked, and I will undoubtedly be returning to the place I found this and looking for more tomorrow .
:occasion14:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice score!

Steve

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one right there - too bad they don't survive in the ground that well!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice save Bro !!! :hello2: :headbang:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little sketchy with the CW connection, don't you think? Doesn't look military issue to me, so although CW era, I assume these were used in domestic situations as well? If not please explain? (love to know what makes it CW)

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little sketchy with the CW connection, don't you think? Doesn't look military issue to me, so although CW era, I assume these were used in domestic situations as well? If not please explain? (love to know what makes it CW)

I admit there is no evidence of it being used in the actual war. But I never said it was, it just dates to the US Civil War time period. This type of fork was used by both civilians and soldiers alike so there is no way to tell who used it or where. Still this IS the kind of fork regularly found in Civil War camps and battle grounds so it isn't too far fetched to think it could at one time been in the war.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I admit there is no evidence of it being used in the actual war. But I never said it was, it just dates to the US Civil War time period. This type of fork was used by both civilians and soldiers alike so there is no way to tell who used it or where. Still this IS the kind of fork regularly found in Civil War camps and battle grounds so it isn't too far fetched to think it could at one time been in the war.

We were all at war?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Never said far fetched & agreed it was period. But your title states 'Civil War Relic', that was all. I just like to stick to facts as much as possible or we just wander off into fairyland. After all we are finders/collectors of 'History' not fiction.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never said far fetched & agreed it was period. But your title states 'Civil War Relic', that was all. I just like to stick to facts as much as possible or we just wander off into fairyland. After all we are finders/collectors of 'History' not fiction.

The facts are it dates to the American Civil War period and was used by the people of this age, and that's all I'm claiming of it. 8-)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The facts are it dates to the American Civil War period and was used by the people of this age, and that's all I'm claiming of it. 8-)

Good we agree. Otherwise we start claiming every harmonica reed is a CW relic...lol

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"My first Civil War fork . . . "

In that case I still have a Vietnam War Boy Scout mess kit! The time is right and we were all at war. ;-)

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That style was from the time period but were not issued to troops. I have found that very type around old house places and in and around yankee camps here in Arkansas. I found a bunch of broken ones at a camp on the river. All parts were there buried in the sand. The tines, spoon part and one knife blade along with bullets and melted bullets. The only handle I kept is one I found in the river. I have it in a bottle of river water now. I assume that they destroyed the silver ware so no one else would be able to use it. I figure they probably stole it anyway. Y'all know how them yankee's were... ::) d2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That style was from the time period but were not issued to troops. I have found that very type around old house places and in and around yankee camps here in Arkansas. I found a bunch of broken ones at a camp on the river. All parts were there buried in the sand. The tines, spoon part and one knife blade along with bullets and melted bullets. The only handle I kept is one I found in the river. I have it in a bottle of river water now. I assume that they destroyed the silver ware so no one else would be able to use it. I figure they probably stole it anyway. Y'all know how them yankee's were... ::) d2

That is all I was trying to say, that that is no need to stretch the truth, because on this forum the truth shines through. Because we are all a bunch of history nuts....lol

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a better title would have been "150 year old fork is rescued"! :hello: It is a nice fork where ever it was used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread