Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Headed out today with Gheenoe78 to hit the afternoon tide at one of our Civil War artillery sites. After all the rain and flooding last week it was nice to get out and swing the coil...until the skies opened up and we got drenched. Luckily Gheenoe's AT-Pro and my CTX are waterproof. While the targets were few and far between I did manage an interesting one. This broach/button/bridle :dontknow: has a thin metal plate with a stars and bars motif, and is enclosed in a ring of copper (similar to a 2 piece button). The back is largely missing, but the remnants of the inner cardboard ring was present.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Among the other digs was a partial 2 piece button with the front missing, cast lead cuff button, and a percussion cap. Thanks for looking...and for rendering your opinion on what this interesting find may be.

20151010_195214.jpg 20151010_195255.jpg 20151010_195303.jpg 20151010_195140.jpg

Upvote 13

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a similar construction to a late 19th C Button, but not one I've ever seen you guys post. I will watch & learn.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
This may not mean much but I found it striking that the stars are six pointed rather than a traditional five point often associated with stars and bars motifs. This may have nothing to do with the construction of the piece but it also may narrow the focus a bit. There were a few flag Confederate flag patterns that utilized a six pointed star and apparently were dubbed "Bragg's Pattern" flags. I found an example of one for sale that was issued to the 10th SC infantry under command of General Manigault. Other examples of the Bragg's pattern were issued to other SC units as well. Further intrigue deals with the "Cherokee Rose" pattern found on some Florida CW unit buttons, an example of a button with the six pointed star, Cherokee Rose pattern can be found below. While neither the Bragg Flag Pattern nor the single star example of the FL button are in the vertical columns that are in your piece, it makes for interesting discussion. I still think ultimately it turns out to be the general consensus of confederate motif small bridle but this makes for some interesting reading.

Cool find!

http://relicman.com/buttons/zArchiveButton2Florida.htm

That flag pattern is here: Richard Ferry Military Antiques*Catalog

Last edited:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very different Jon.
Never seen anything like it before. Hope it turns out to be Rare.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This may not mean much but I found it striking that the stars are six pointed rather than a traditional five point often associated with stars and bars motifs. This may have nothing to do with the construction of the piece but it also may narrow the focus a bit. There were a few flag Confederate flag patterns that utilized a six pointed star and apparently were dubbed "Bragg's Pattern" flags. I found an example of one for sale that was issued to the 10th SC infantry under command of General Manigault. Other examples of the Bragg's pattern were issued to other SC units as well. Further intrigue deals with the "Cherokee Rose" pattern found on some Florida CW unit buttons, an example of a button with the six pointed star, Cherokee Rose pattern can be found below. While neither the Bragg Flag Pattern nor the single star example of the FL button are in the vertical columns that are in your piece, it makes for interesting discussion. I still think ultimately it turns out to be the general consensus of confederate motif small bridle but this makes for some interesting reading.

Cool find!

Ridgeway Civil War Archive Buttons from Florida

That flag pattern is here: Richard Ferry Military Antiques*Catalog

Hbeaton, thanks for pointing out the details on the stars. Not sure how I missed that element but certainly an intereating parallel with the 10th SC flag motif. The site produced 2 script calvary buttons so could certainly be a bridle. Thanks again for the links

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread