JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturday was one of my favorite Civil War relic hunting days ever. My hunting buddy and I were in a flooded bottom where we thought there could be some CW items. About thirty minutes into the hunt I got a big iron sound that turned into my first ever CW rifle.....it's in pretty bad shape in terms of the amount of rust, but that's OK I'll take it.

After finishing up with the rifle I eased along the water's edge and at the base of a tree I got a good bullet signal....then another and another and another. I spent the next four hours digging bullets in the roots of that one tree and ended up with 93 and almost all were unfired CS Hi Base 3-ringers.

Finally, on the way out at the end of the day, I found a nice eagle breast plate.

A great hunt!!

Attachments

• IMG_8751.jpg
    IMG_8751.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_8763.PNG
    IMG_8763.PNG
    642.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_8757.jpg
    IMG_8757.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_8736.jpg
    IMG_8736.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 195
Upvote 67

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You killed it!

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is such a killer hunt. I would be so stoked to find a rifle and a sweet looking breast plate. Im sure you are fired up and ready to return to your great site JB!

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations, go all you can between now and spring cause that place looks like snake central when the weather warms up. Lol

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, now that is a great day of digging! Congratulations!

Steve

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent the next four hours digging bullets in the roots of that one tree and ended up with 93 and almost all were un-fired CS Hi Base 3-ringers.

You found the spot where troops emptied their cartridge boxes likely to dispose of wet ammunition.

I once talked to an old guy who used to dig in the vicinity of Cub Run on the Fairfax and Loudoun County line (Virginia). This was the area where the bulk of the Army of Northern Virginia encamped following the battle of Chantilly (Sept. 1, 1862). Chantilly was fought in a tremendous thunderstorm. The guy said he would routinely dig large numbers of bullets in a single hole where soldiers had emptied their cartidge boxes after being soaked during the battle.

OP
OP
JBnNC

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That is such a killer hunt. I would be so stoked to find a rifle and a sweet looking breast plate. Im sure you are fired up and ready to return to your great site JB!
Thanks Keith, congrats on your button!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better late than never .

I searched "Musket Barrel " & saw yr post .

Man what a hunt ! & Boy you must be in good shape ....guess Feb weather helps.???

As you may know I've been sickly since last June with stomach ulcers & what not , I've only hunted 4-5 times since last Summer ; I forced myself out yesterday to one of my sites , if only to get back in shape , + I had the 5 inch loop on my G2 + , I scored 2 fired Minnie's , an IH ( I think ? ) & what I think is a musket barrel , I'm pretty sure that's what it is tho I've never dug one or pieces of one , I just have that feeling , tho I'm just now researching my find .

I'm going back to look at yr finds 'here ' better ....the Breast Plate is Sweet & I love the Lead , + want to scan the barrel you found .

Have you got back to this site?

If so let me know I'd love to see your later finds .

Thanks & GD
Davers / Davey

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How'd I miss this? That's an awesome dig. Everything is top notch.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried the edges of a swamp once... came out with 40 chigger bites and dozens of skeeter kisses.
That what you did is the dream of many.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer relic hunt! :notworthy:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... now that's a day you wont forget.

Well done and then some.

PS... I am sure that you have just scraped the surface of that spot.

OP
OP
JBnNC

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Better late than never .

I searched "Musket Barrel " & saw yr post .

Man what a hunt ! & Boy you must be in good shape ....guess Feb weather helps.???

As you may know I've been sickly since last June with stomach ulcers & what not , I've only hunted 4-5 times since last Summer ; I forced myself out yesterday to one of my sites , if only to get back in shape , + I had the 5 inch loop on my G2 + , I scored 2 fired Minnie's , an IH ( I think ? ) & what I think is a musket barrel , I'm pretty sure that's what it is tho I've never dug one or pieces of one , I just have that feeling , tho I'm just now researching my find .

I'm going back to look at yr finds 'here ' better ....the Breast Plate is Sweet & I love the Lead , + want to scan the barrel you found .

Have you got back to this site?

If so let me know I'd love to see your later finds .

Thanks & GD
Davers / Davey
Davey, I'm sorry to hear that you've had some health issues and I hope you get back to 100% real soon. I have been back to the swamp bottom and visited the bullet tree. I pulled out a few more bullets from the roots, I think I'm up to a total of 112......also found a musket hammer.
Let me know on your musket barrel.--JB

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davey, I'm sorry to hear that you've had some health issues and I hope you get back to 100% real soon. I have been back to the swamp bottom and visited the bullet tree. I pulled out a few more bullets from the roots, I think I'm up to a total of 112......also found a musket hammer.
Let me know on your musket barrel.--JB

I posted it in Todays finds last weekend , I'm pretty sure it's an Enfield Barrel but that still needs to be confirmed , never the less , I love it & it came from a Battle Area here in n Atlanta , I have dug 10 + fired Enfield's near by also , so I can only wonder , it this rifle barrel shot ant of those rounds , I need to cook & clean it up + see if there is a round down in there .

Thanks for yr kind words , I'm feeling a good bit better , I'm just sooo out of shape but trying to get back in action ASAP.
Have a good one & thanks for the reply .

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a great day love the belt plate an amazing amount of bullets looks like a awesome spot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread