Clad slob no more!

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
Geez, I thought this day would never come! I have dug buckets of clad (small buckets) in a town with alot of history. I have sought out the oldest places I could find that are legal to hunt without permission. Of course, everyone else with a metal detector does the same thing. But I have been lucky I guess, I have dug alot of quarters and dimes and have basically had a good time and gotten alot of excercise. TODAY, though, everything changed. That is why I decided to stop lurking and start posting. I went out to a spot today that is just a giant field of cobblestones, after reading something that intrigued me about places that not many people look. The very first thing I dug was a barber dime. I dug a state quarter, a clad penny and then thought I was digging another quarter and dug a slug of a standing liberty. Of course, my heart rate went up when I dug the Barber, but I played it cool. I didn't LEAVE, I didn't hoot, I just got to digging, or should I say probing. You don't DIG in a field of cobbles. When I dug the SLQ, I thought, sheesh, why have I not been digging here over my entire rookie season? Of course, you don't do that, you pay your dues and you dig alot of clad and then one day, you get very lucky, Both these coins are substandard for showpieces, but they represent something so much greater than their worth as antique coins. Today I finally reached a milestone, and not just one, BAMMO, I dug two. Got skunked the rest of the day with at least 4 dozen MEM pennies and one wheatie, but who cares. Pix tomorrow.

Upvote 0

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Slug,
People post finds here even if they arent so great, doesnt matter at all there still finds.
Welcome and look forward to seeing your pics.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I post clad all the time. If I didn't I wouldn't have nothing to post................

Mudslide

Sep 18, 2005
Brandon,VT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D That is terrific that you have found some old stuff! I am still digging clad and hoping to hit something like what you found. Way to go!

S

SASQUASH

Good job Slug hunter keep it up sounds like a great hunting ground. SAS <><

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know unless you dig it, Good going !

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Slug on your memorable finds ! And welcome to the forum ! Good Luck and keep us posted on your future finds.

Huntin' 59er

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CLAD SLOB,HEY I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK........... ;D :D WTG

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Congrat!!! & Welcome!!!, WTG!!!
Sounds like that site is probably worth going over a few more times...
Where you find one, you'll usually find another...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

F

Floater

Great to here you finnaly decided to come out of the closet Slug. Dont worry about posting Clad. It is a lot of fun just hearing the storys and the travel tales as well. Nice Finds. HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver! If you are finding the old silver you might not want to probe, you could scratch them. Do you know why the cobblestones are there? Could there have been a town or farm at the location? Sounds like a good spot! HH, Mike

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Ah, graduation day. Congratulations! See it wouln't have been so sweet if you hadn't done your time. And those are some really good finds. I think you passed the LLSS(low life silver slob) and moved up to intermediate silver slob. :D Takes more than just silver rosies and mercs to get there.

Yeah, most of the time I only get clad and maybe some wheats. But it is true, you do start to get a little wiser. And if you really only target the old stuff sometimes you really limit your finds - the old quality or quanity question. Anyway, look forward to the pics.

Bob

OP
OP
Slug Hunter

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
Haha, don't think I am above cladders, I will be one for...well, forever.? I am not into relic hunting, and I like to at least get my battery cost out of the ground.? No way to get GAS!? Unless I eat a burrito and MD.? As far as the cobbles, I KNOW why they are there, I am just being a bit cagey for now so I can at least go over the place with my crappy bounty hunter.? After that, I will open up about the location a little more, or invite a friend.? But when you dig clad for a year, all the while looking for trophies, you feel the need to hold onto your golden goose awhile so that you can catch up a bit.? I mean every place I hunt is "fished out"? A good MD'er never truly believes that, but I have looked HARD and come up empty for almost a year.? Granted, I don't hunt private yards or old homesites, although a co-worker has offered to take me to some really virgin territory. Anyway, here are the coins.? And a note to BAVARIA MIKE, a screwdriver is about the only way to get the dirt up out of these cobbles, but after finding the barber, I look like I am in some kind of Jurassic park dig I am so careful, haha.? Hell, it wcould be me that dinged the edge of the Barber for all I know.

Attachments

• Barberdime.jpg
    Barberdime.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 233
  • SLQ.jpg
    SLQ.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 233

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal!

HH

Lonewolfe

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
great finds! im still working on both a barber dime and a slq. been fortunant enough to dig some other coins though! dont be shy about posting your other finds too..........we like hearing about it all! makes some of us feel better to know that others are digging clad and junk too!!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver ,slug!! WTG!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread