Clad slob no more!

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
Geez, I thought this day would never come! I have dug buckets of clad (small buckets) in a town with alot of history. I have sought out the oldest places I could find that are legal to hunt without permission. Of course, everyone else with a metal detector does the same thing. But I have been lucky I guess, I have dug alot of quarters and dimes and have basically had a good time and gotten alot of excercise. TODAY, though, everything changed. That is why I decided to stop lurking and start posting. I went out to a spot today that is just a giant field of cobblestones, after reading something that intrigued me about places that not many people look. The very first thing I dug was a barber dime. I dug a state quarter, a clad penny and then thought I was digging another quarter and dug a slug of a standing liberty. Of course, my heart rate went up when I dug the Barber, but I played it cool. I didn't LEAVE, I didn't hoot, I just got to digging, or should I say probing. You don't DIG in a field of cobbles. When I dug the SLQ, I thought, sheesh, why have I not been digging here over my entire rookie season? Of course, you don't do that, you pay your dues and you dig alot of clad and then one day, you get very lucky, Both these coins are substandard for showpieces, but they represent something so much greater than their worth as antique coins. Today I finally reached a milestone, and not just one, BAMMO, I dug two. Got skunked the rest of the day with at least 4 dozen MEM pennies and one wheatie, but who cares. Pix tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful! Sounds like you've got a good spot. I'm still looking for my first SLQ (and a lot of other coins).

Kent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread