fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every so often I check Craigslist and Ebay to make sure I don't see familiar pictures of claims for sale that I know for certain aren't. My lord if you want to see whose honest and whose not, now is a good time. Take a look and check out the lead in's to their sales pitches - "Dredgings legal", "the bans over", "dredging opens this June", "start mining immediately everything transferable" and my personal favorite "never been mined". People got no scrupples, fricken crooks!

Upvote 0

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry but the way you're looking at it is a little off. The monument of discovery must be located within the claimed area and preferably on an edge of the claim where it is most noticeable. The way you're stating it would make people think they have to have the monument located right on top of the actual discovery. This is not the case.

A prospector that's worth his or her salt will know the requirements for the state that they are working in. That's a basic part of doing your due diligence. If you don't know the laws for that state, then you have no business trying to make a claim in it.

Yet another example of why you should do your own research and not listen to the opinions or interpretation of others who make statements as if they know what they are talking about and are incorrect.

You should also notice the number of people who "like" posts that are innacurate. It shows their ignorance of the laws and leads others in the wrong direction.

Also take notice of how incorrect the BLM lr2000 files are and that their files can not be relied on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160217-100026.png
    Screenshot_20160217-100026.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20160217-100116.png
    Screenshot_20160217-100116.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well U.S.Miner.com is not a college course. How about sharing the address for the course or the college that is offering it? I for one would like to check it out in more depth.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Well U.S.Miner.com is not a college course. How about sharing the address for the course or the college that is offering it? I for one would like to check it out in more depth.

My post that includes the usminer screenshots is from usminer.com. The screenshots from the university are not from usminer.com. I didnt save the link to the university course and am not searching for it again.

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It still amazes me that information from are government on all things not just mining , is different from each other depending where you are reading it . Claims , watershed districts etc . The federal government needs to get on the same page at some point , or we will never get a strait answer . OH Yeah , thats what they want . Nevermind adding the sate legistrations . Ugh

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Check your browser history and there's really no searching required. Even an old miner like me knows that. By not posting the link you're loosing credence because you're not backing up your statements.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
It still amazes me that information from are government on all things not just mining , is different from each other depending where you are reading it . Claims , watershed districts etc . The federal government needs to get on the same page at some point , or we will never get a strait answer . OH Yeah , thats what they want . Nevermind adding the sate legistrations . Ugh

The laws on staking claims is not so confusing. The federal blm allows States to specify how to mark the boundries of a claim but the federal blm requires that ALL claims have a discovery monument.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Check your browser history and there's really no searching required. Even an old miner like me knows that. By not posting the link you're loosing credence because you're not backing up your statements.

Funny. Back your statement up.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to add that all college courses are not carved in stone to be correct , I have proved them wrong before . The data they collect is only as good as the person collecting it , many times it's not the actual professors collecting it . Often times they use students to collect data , and sometimes it gets transpoused in corectly . It happens we are all human .

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to add that all college courses are not carved in stone to be correct , I have proved them wrong before . The data they collect is only as good as the person collecting it , many times it's not the actual professors collecting it . Often times they use students to collect data , and sometimes it gets transpoused in corectly . It happens we are all human .

Prove them wrong again.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The laws on staking claims is not so confusing. The federal blm allows States to specify how to mark the boundries of a claim but the federal blm requires that ALL claims have a discovery monument.

You still have to look to other athorities to get all of the information , state and federal water acts BLM ,forest service , etc . You are going just by BLM , yes they play a huge part , but so does other goverment . I worked the gravel and stone mining industry for over 30 years as an owner . I too know about permiting and the like to run an operation . The laws go much deeper than just what you are stating here . This is by no means an attack on you . I don't attack people , I try to educate people . I had several lawyers working with me to make sure everything was correct in a large operation. I would still use one for any claim , I was personally claiming for a mining claim . Cheaper than federal and state fines , and being shut down . Yes I tend to think big , but that the way I always mined .

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did we go from shyster's to markers? I know that each state is different. Even in my state the laws are vague and can be interpreted several ways. Most of us do have brains and we do KNOW to check laws if we go to other states. Colleges are only as good as their accreditation. I've seen college that have courses for everything doesn't mean they're good or bad. Maybe greedy and just want your money. And those are the ones you shy away from. Like Budwieser- U. I myself would listen to GI here is a person that does his Due Diligence or the government before a college course or some one that thinks they know it all about every state. getting it from the horses mouth is always the best info instead of the other end of the horse!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
How did we go from shyster's to markers? I know that each state is different. Even in my state the laws are vague and can be interpreted several ways. Most of us do have brains and we do KNOW to check laws if we go to other states. Colleges are only as good as their accreditation. I've seen college that have courses for everything doesn't mean they're good or bad. Maybe greedy and just want your money. And those are the ones you shy away from. Like Budwieser- U. I myself would listen to GI here is a person that does his Due Diligence or the government before a college course or some one that thinks they know it all about every state. getting it from the horses mouth is always the best info instead of the other end of the horse!

It went from shysters to markers when I found that the blm requires discovery monuments on ALL mining claims. Discovery monuments to mark where the valuable deposit is located. If someone sells a claim that does not have a valauble deposit marked by a discovery monument then they are a shyster selling an invalid claim.

I made the statement, backed it up with numerous examples and was trounced on by the usual group.

Im off to the zoo with my favorite kids!

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who cares ! we were talking about flippin claims not markers. In your interpretation. Have fun at the zoo!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Who cares ! we were talking about flippin claims not markers. In your interpretation. Have fun at the zoo!

Let me explain so that you understand...

It went from shysters selling claims to monuments when I found that the blm requires discovery monuments on ALL mining claims. Discovery monuments to mark where the valuable deposit is located. If someone sells a claim that does not have a valauble deposit marked by a discovery monument then they are a shyster selling an invalid claim.

I made the statement, backed it up with numerous examples and was trounced on by the usual group.

Au-N-Rod

Mar 5, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the BLM:

Several States also require side line or end-line posts or monuments for claims. Mining claims and sites described by legal subdivision in some States do not require the erection of corner monuments (See Figure 2). However, all mining claims and sites must have a location ORdiscovery monument. [/B] .

However, mining claims and sites must have a location OR discovery monument.

So, how do you explain this from your post above? OR is a big word.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Yup! Since most schools still insist on teaching things that have been PROVEN to be wrong I always doubt them. A prime example of this is the Columbus discovering America thing. It's been proven that the Vikings were here first and yet they still teach that Columbus drivel.

There's also the fact that every state has slightly different laws and requirements on staking and filing a claim. Unless the course is tailored to each state, they can only give generalities. What is law in Arizona may or not be the same in another state. By taking what they teach in these courses as absolute truth, a miner/prospector can find themselves in trouble with the law on many different levels.

We as miners and prospectors have to know the laws within our own areas. That's just common sense. Learning the laws of another state is pretty much useless unless you're planning on working in that state. If you're hauled into court, quoting the laws from another state isn't going to help you one bit and may actually do much more harm than good to your case.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen GI! could you see the Hoffman's claim it would look like a grave yard with all the monuments LOL! Wouldn't they have a monument on every drill hole they found gold in? I thought somebody went to the zoo

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah.... this thread did get off track in a big way. Getting back to the OPs intent here.....

If someone is offering up a claim for sale and a person takes their word that everything is on the up and up, that's their own mistake. Buying or leasing a claim still requires that you do your due diligence. It only makes sense to dig a little deeper (pun intended) into the history of the claim before laying down your hard earned money. Many of the people selling these bogus claims never put boots on the ground in question and everything is done strictly on paper. By not physically going to the site, making a discovery, staking the corners and erecting a monument the claim is not legally valid. If you buy a claim sight unseen, then you're a fool! If you do not test the area before you pay, again, you're a fool. If the seller won't let you do any testing or wants to charge you a testing fee and you still go ahead and buy it.... well do I need to say it again?

There have been people running mining scams since mankind first started pulling things out of the earth and it's never going to stop because there are ALWAYS going to be people that feel they can take advantage of others and their lack of knowledge.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

So, how do you explain this from your post above? OR is a big word.

Location or discovery monument = location monument or discovery monument. Don't you know how or is used?

Im at the zoo!

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you need a discovery monument where you made the original discovery not every paystreak. On my claim there is dust in every shovel of dirt you can bet my monument is a long ways from the paystreak I work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread