Claim jumping mining violence

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine purchased a patented claim in El Dorado County was hydraulic mined in late 1800's has cobble/riverbed deposits and tons of coyote holes. After purchasing he catches a few people claim jumping going into coyote holes and mining gold they say they have been coming here for years didnt know it was private blah blah blah after a few more years he starts to get tired of chasing off claim jumpers/treaspassers. One day hes on property a treaspasser is found he tells him private property you have to leave dont come back -Trespasser says not yours not leaving my friend pulls his ak on him says you dont leave you will be ventilated. I think it was a few hrs or the next day sheriff pulls up ( its a ways off the paved road) says complaint about brandishing weapons and threatening people he says yes I did it was tresspaasser and you cant come on my property and you cant have my guns. Needless to say a long converastion ensued luckily a relative of his was there who is in law enforcement and knew the laws. Long story short sheriff left after saying dont threaten people anymore.

Anyone have any good advice how to deal with dirtbag tresspassers who keep claimjumping? He really doesnt want to have anyone killed in coyote hole collapses.

Do you know of or deal with stuff like this?

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dontknow.gif
but he should ask the relative of his who is in law enforcement and knows the laws.

I would say first thing put up signs , and possibly have proof he owns the land & mining rights on hand.

they say they have been coming here for years didn't know it was private blah blah blah

sounds to me like these people may be used to liars claiming the land is theirs

and I do agree violence doesn't help anything

Last edited:

Lookin4goaled

Jan 5, 2014
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ DD Coil, 30" BGT Prospector, Blue bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is really unfortunate, it's people like that who should be shunned out of the mining community. Still digging after finding out its private definitely puts them into the sleazy scum category. Other than a threat, post very visible claim markers, and take dated pictures of the jumpers? The first picture will serve to show that they have been told once that it's private, if you catch them again it may be enough to prosecute. Idk, just throwing out ideas. If the sheriff was closer I would just say call law enforcement, but it doesn't seem like that's a feasible option.

I think your friend is well within his rights protecting his property though... I would venture to say that the person not leaving his property is more threatening in the eyes of the law than the man protecting his property with legally purchased firearms (assuming the ak is in compliance with Cali laws of course).

So sorry your buddy has to deal with this... Hopefully someone will have better advice than I do to help him out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention it is posted very well.

Another violent mining issue I recall an older couple lived in El dorado County had the road to their home gravelled. A few weeks latter a drunk driving a dozer comes driving down the road through their property says he is a miner and has a claim on other side of their property. Husband is pissed says get off my property your wrecking our road guy cusses says f-u keeps going husband goes inside gets 357 mag goes to confront drunk drunk comes at husband with dozer blade up pins him to tree gun falls to ground wife picks up never held a gun before points and shoots kills dozer driver. I guess this would be a more of a alcohal related death than mining.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Boobietrap the holes with a non-lethal substance. Something very unpleasant and difficult to remove.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Unlike what is said and shown on the weather channels gem/prospecting show,claim jumping is really filing over/putting up papers on someone elses unpatented claim.Someone digging on your private property or legal mining claim is stealing or highgrading you,not claim jumping.If a mining claim is surrounded by private property you have no legal access to that BLM ground unless one or more of the surrounding property owners grants you access through their ground.

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the cops, it's against the law to mine on someone's claim. File charges, follow through with court etc. It's the only way. Once the cops come out enough to hand out tickets and make people leave, they will enforce their will of sick of dealing with you people onto the claimjumpers. Don't even talk to the offenders, that's the cops job.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Citizens arrest?

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lob a couple shots into where he is working (not at him but close) keep your distance so he can't ID you. He should get the idea. Doesn't seem like the sheriff wants to help you.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it's patented land it's not a mining claim - it's private property. This has nothing to do with claim jumping, it's a straight up matter of trespass and theft.

Put up a fence and post no trespassing signs. Follow the county posting ordinances and call the Sheriff every time you find a trespasser. Be ready to swear out complaints against trespassers and thieves - don't expect the Sheriff to help you if you won't press charges. If you don't press charges your next call to the Sheriff is unlikely to get a very high priority.

Don't pull guns on people that aren't a physical threat to you or yours. If they are a physical threat shoot them if necessary.

Pointing guns at trespassers is a cowards way of dealing with threats to property. Threatening to shoot someone for trespassing is just asking for trouble. If you doubt that last statement look up the meaning of criminal assault in your State criminal statutes.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree w/ Mr Diggin's....People seem very eager to pull guns, shoot at eachother, just seems like a bad idea :dontknow

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're not willing to die for a bit of gold, why are you going to pull a gun on someone? Not being rude, just seems like a good way to get shot. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set up a few trail timer cameras for proof of trespass.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conibear 330 in a pit with a little camo over it!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would tell them everything is alright and to resume prospecting down in the hole and then start backfilling it.........

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wanna have some fun?If theyre constantly going to mostly a couple different coyot holes to dig.Dig a Malayan man pit in front of the coyote holes the scum frequents,4 - 5 feet deep,wide enough so somebody falling in ends up on their azz,make a water proof liner out of heavy trash bags and put a foot or so of water and permanent dye into the hole.Make the cover sturdy enough so a coyots weight doesnt break through.Then set your trail cams up:evil6:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions