Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2013
White Mountains
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
548998_10200526449157905_1304133068_n.jpg
I found this clay pipe today in an old stone foundation in the woods. "T" "D" on the bowl, "scotland" on one side of the stem, nothing on the other, and "2" or "Z" on the bowl stand, or little piece below the bowl that stick down. I've read some say its from the 1800's and others from the 1900's. Most of the clay pipes i see online have some writing on the other side of the stem that give clues to who made it and most of them are broken. So i guess can anyone clue me in on this pipe?

Thanks

Upvote 6

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im no authority on pipes but I would be surprised if this is any newer than 18th century. Very, very good find!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome buddy.That is a sweet pipe.maybe many more great finds just lurking there.way to go

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
V, I have dug a half dozen complete TD pipe bowls and pieces of many more. They are a common pipe, imported and used by U.S. soldiers during the Florida Seminole Wars. I dug them from fort trash dumps on sites which date from the mid-to-latter 1850's. My best clay pipe, also from Glasgow, has 6-inches of stem remaining. It has an anchor on one side and a crown on the other; and, it is two-toned--black, and a clayish white/brown. You got a good one, even though it appears to have been cooked in a fire. Congratulations.
SD

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found identical pipes with identical marks on an 1830's Seminole War site. Dozens.

OP
OP
vlkster

vlkster

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2013
White Mountains
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!! yeah it looks like it was in a fire and so did most of the trash around it. Was back at the site today with my metal detector and only found junk.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!! yeah it looks like it was in a fire and so did most of the trash around it. Was back at the site today with my metal detector and only found junk.
Nice intact clay pipe specimen! I've found a couple up here in CT recently. They were in a burn pit similar to yours. Although broken the pieces fit together nicely to form 2 sets of intact bowl/stem combos. Do not give up on the site because it's trashy. I ended up sifting and pinpointing my area and recovered 11 matching NY State Militia buttons, along with other cool relics, hiding between scores of flat nails.

OP
OP
vlkster

vlkster

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2013
White Mountains
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some more pics

"T D" on the bowl
0417131024.jpg

"scotland" on side of stem
0417131023a.jpg

"2" or "Z" on bottom of bowl
0417131023b.jpg

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the other posters as to the age of your pipe. My reference books show that this style of pipe with that type and size of bowl and the protruding heel dates from 1820-60. Nice find!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery, learning more about your site will help you narrow down the age of your clay pipe. What other finds to you get up that might help date your site?
ZDD

OP
OP
vlkster

vlkster

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2013
White Mountains
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill.
Zodiac- a 2 inch receiver for a truck, lots of rusted metal, and lots of broken glass. The research i did on the property itself, the pipe would fit into the age of the property. it's old, on an abanded road and rail road track and there was logging there about 5-6 years ago and it's right off a busy road and lots of people have just dumped their trash there :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread