Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen this used on silver, but...had a bunch of lead and brass and some iron from the Virginia red dirt. Was feeling lazy and didn't want to hand brush each piece. So I took a small bowl and put some regular hydrogen peroxide in it and microwaved it 1 minute and a half. I stuck the items in the hot liquid and left them about 5 minutes. Almost all of the red dirt was gone and the patina was still intact on everything. Remember to NOT put the metal items in the microwave, but we all knew that.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have red clay soil here in OK too. One thing I have noticed is that if you dont get it cleaned of quickly after digging, it can stain coins. Have you noticed that in your soil too?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does stain. I generally clean within 3 days. Sometimes the same day. A lot of times I keep the item in a small bag w water in it while transporting. I like putting stuff away before I "lose" it. I constantly lose stuff around here by tucking little items away in a cool spot for temporary storage, then only find them when I am randomly looking for something else. Right now I have a $5 US SLABBED gold coin missing and a piece of the old Chinese money my dad found years ago. It's not lost, just "stuck" somewhere. I haven't looked Everywhere though. I normally keep the "good" stuff in a safe deposit box, believe me it's a small box. and a pain to get in and out of, and it's not there. Looked three times. It just didn't make it that far from the time I bought it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Right now I have a $5 US SLABBED gold coin missing and a piece of the old Chinese money my dad found years ago.

Hi Smokey! When did you say you're going on vacation?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always on vacation. BTW what's a vacation? Last time I have more than a week off was back in 1997 when I had surgery. It also was no vacation. Had my brain removed.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always on vacation. BTW what's a vacation? Last time I have more than a week off was back in 1997 when I had surgery. It also was no vacation. Had my brain removed.

So they made you an executive?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II