Cleaning copper

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
Reciently found a 1914D penny -- which at fine books at $250.00 in the red book. I have a car wax call liquid luster -- but it works great as a jewlery cleaner -- it polishes up silver like you can't believe -- anyhow I decided to try it on a 1917S wheat penny. Do you think I should use it to clean the 1914D penny? I does not look like it took off that much detal (although in retrospect it would have been better to take a before and after pic ).

Attachments

• Cleanside.jpg
    Cleanside.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 565
  • dirtyside.jpg
    dirtyside.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 576

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
if it were me i wouldnt mess with cleaning it unless it was so bad that i had to in order to id it. otherwise i would leave it in the condition i found it in. just rinse it with a little water. a lot of collectors like to see that old patina. its your call though. just know that cleaning it will diminish its value.

OP
OP
Gabbit

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
Thanks everyone for the advice -- conservator do you have any advice on where to send it?

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Just leave it like it is or use a soft used tooth brush..very soft..... just to get the dirt off

Dirty Knees McGee

May 5, 2005
Sunny Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ 6.5x9, 9x12, & EXcelerator 10x14 DD coils
Look into a copper brush (AKA Camel Hair Brush). That is the only thing I would use with coppers. That is what the pros use with Large cents. It will not scratch, but will remove particulates and add a natural sheen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread