Cleaning Inside Shotgun Shells

Jan 17, 2016
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm a newbie here. I dug up this Winchester shell a couple weeks ago and would like to clean out that stuff on the inside. It looks/feels like a cross between paper and some kind of fabric or cotton material.

Is there a way to do this? Picking it out isn't very effective, it's really stuck in there. What is that stuff, anyway?

Thanks for your help.

_shotgunshell.jpg _shotgunshell-inside.jpg

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try boiling it to soften it up, No worries the cap has been fired :thumbsup:, not sure if its an old fiber wad,

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd go to a gun shop and buy some cleaning solvent. It might make the brass loose it's color though.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I soak 'em in room temperature water and then use a machinist scribe... Comes right out nice and clean.

Its essentially wax-impregnated rag paper. Surprisingly resilient, huh?

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you have a lot of time on your hands. If you like to metal detect woods you'll be finding more then enough to keep busy.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you have a lot of time on your hands. If you like to metal detect woods you'll be finding more then enough to keep busy.
Reminds me of when I hunted CW relics often. I found as many shotgun and .22 casings as I found three ringers.:BangHead: It was worth it though.:thumbsup:
Marvin

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya, why are we concerned with shot gun brass??It's kinda like clad?? Que' No!!?

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ya, why are we concerned with shot gun brass??It's kinda like clad?? Que' No!!?

Old headstamps are way better than clad!
I saved all mine that were in great shape, cleaned them, then drilled the top of a handmade cedar table that sits in my gun library... decked the table with flush-set headstamps, then sealed it over with spar urethane.

Kinda like this, but the headstamps look way classier and are more color subdued - not as 'flashy' or gaudy as the pennies.

(I only keep the pre-WW2 headstamps, shoulda mentioned that.)

e35e7b4d8518ed5ec7664eb3c785553c.jpg

~Tejaas~

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old headstamps are way better than clad!
I saved all mine that were in great shape, cleaned them, then drilled the top of a handmade cedar table that sits in my gun library... decked the table with flush-set headstamps, then sealed it over with spar urethane.

Kinda like this, but the headstamps look way classier and are more color subdued - not as 'flashy' or gaudy as the pennies.

(I only keep the pre-WW2 headstamps, shoulda mentioned that.)

e35e7b4d8518ed5ec7664eb3c785553c.jpg

~Tejaas~

Now I am curious and need a picture of that table. Curiosity always gets me.....:BangHead:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't take out the wad unless it has deteriorated away and only contains dirt and roots.
Just simply take a tooth brush and scrub under running water until the hard layer of the wad is clean.
It will dry and last for years like that. Should there be a collector market, then I would think they would prefer head stamps with the wads left intact.
For years I threw shitgun shells in the garbage but for some strange reason I'm keeping a few less common ones now.
Part of the relic hunting sickness of keeping more than I should! :BangHead:

OP
OP
PhillyDetectorist
Jan 17, 2016
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input. I think buying solvent will be a good idea, as I soaked it overnight and it didn't budge. It sure is resilient paper. And I save these relics because I like making things out of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread