Cleaning Silver Rings

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Try brushing it with toothpaste then rinsing good and drying it off. I did that and ended up buying a silver polish at the jewelry counter in Walmart along with a silver polishing cloth. May not be the best but it is what I use. I am sure some of these other guys are much better at this than I am. You will get some real good ideas here.

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got to agree with Mumszie on this one. If it's not tarnished too bad you don't even need the toothbrush. If its a smooth ring just put the toothpaste between your thumb and fingers, slip in the ring and wash it gently. Rinse and wipe dry. If it's still dull, repeat again. Good Luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum Foil, Baking Soda, and Salt

Place a sheet of aluminum foil in the bottom of a pan, add 2-3 inches of water, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil. Add silver pieces, boil 2-3 minutes, making sure the water covers the silver pieces. Remove silver, rinse, dry, and buff with a soft cloth. This method cleans the design and crevices of silver pieces.

Toothpaste: To clean off tarnish, coat the silver with toothpaste, then run it under warm water, work it into a foam, and rinse it off. For stubborn stains or intricate grooves, use an old soft-bristled toothbrush

I have done this method and it works really good for cleaning badly tarnished rings and silver jewelry.........

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A quick way to clean silver is to cover a heat-resistant glass dish with aluminum foil, shiny side up, place the item on the foil with the most contact possible, put a teaspoon of baking soda on it, then pour on boiling water to cover it. Keep your face away from the dish. You can do this more than once if needed. I clean all my silverware this way. It stinks a little but works fast.

Tek

Quix Ten

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Instead of using the baking soda and boiling water, just use hot water out of the tap and some Tide detergent (no added bleach or anything like that.) Lots of silver workers (jewelers etc.) use this to clean their stuff, and it works great. Don't leave the silver soaking overnight, though... a few minutes should do the trick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread