cleaning this "disc" or coin

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
cleaning this "disc" or coin

not sure what this is. Found it in the williamsburg/yorktown/gloucester area. I can almost make out something where the rust drops off at the top in the pic and it has a bit of a smooth edge in that area as well. but on the other hand it may just be a washer

It is just slightly larger than a quarter

anyway how should I go about trying to clean this to identify it.

thanks

Attachments

• coinpic1.jpg
    coinpic1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 324
  • coinpic2.jpg
    coinpic2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 330
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Re: cleaning this "disc" or coin

or better yet, what cleaning method would be the least destructive and may reveal some detail.

and time is not an obsticle, if a method takes months but is safe I'm all for hearing about it.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

was just reading some of the cleaning techniques and really like the potato cleaning method...might have to try that one. Maybe shove that sucker in a potato for 24 hours and see what happens. Other than that maybe olive oil soak for 24 hours. I have never used either method but don't believe it should cause you any probs. Heck, try one and then try the other and let us know. If all that fails since it is rusted, which I would not believe would happen to a coin, then zap that sucker with electrolysis to get some of that rust off. First try the other two methods though, they seem less extreme than zapping.

Let us know with pics please.

Funkman

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

Its hard to tell the color for certain, but it looks rusty, (as in corroded iron). I normally use WD-40 on anything with rust on it. Just spray and let sit for a minute, then use a rag, or Q-Tip to wipe it. If it doesn't all come off then soak and repeat.

The slight triangular shaped indentation on one side makes me think of a Chinese coin, which aren't usually very valuable.

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread