question about the infamous "Floater Electrolysis" device

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
question about the infamous "Floater Electrolysis" device

I'm trying to build one but have some questions.

I read in one of the posts (which I can no longer find) how to tell which wire on a cell phone charger is negative. Something to do with putting it into the solution to see if it bubbles. Can anyone clarify that?

I also have a few chargers ranging from 50ma to 1.1a. for coin cleaning, is it bad to go too low or would the 50ma just take longer?

Thanks in advance.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: question about the infamous "Floater Electrolysis" device

I stick the one that Bubbles to the object to be cleaned.

Whether Pos or Neg I don't know.

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used

jeff of pa said:
I stick the one that Bubbles to the object to be cleaned.

Whether Pos or Neg I don't know.

They both bubble. My stainless steel bolt bubbles more than the coin even if I switch the aligator clips.
gonna leave it in for a while and see what happens.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Negative to object to be cleaned... Lower mahs longer cleaning(better control of the process)..

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used

cosmic said:
Negative to object to be cleaned... Lower mahs longer cleaning(better control of the process)..

Thanks Cosmic, but my problem is trying to figure out which is the negative. I alternate the clips between the bolt and the object, but they both seem to bubble the same amount.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

mad,

I had the same thing happen with one of my charges also. never could figure it out. I did come across a 15 volt DC output (not sure on MA though) and that one definately bubbled only on one of the objects. I was cleaning a larger relic though..not a coin.

I will look at the charger hookup I have now because I know on one of the wires, the black inuslation has a grey or white stripe on it an dthe other doesn't. I will let you know which one is the one I hook up to the relic (stripe or no stripe).

Funkman

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marked wire usually the positive...

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

what cosmic said....the wire that does not have a stripe on it is the negative wire and that gets hooked to the item to be cleaned.

Funkman

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the input, thats good to know.

I also have some chargers that have no markings on the wires at all but I was able to do some research and learn a little bit about the polarity symbol on the charger

powerplug-positive.jpg

In this case the negative is the outer part of the "plug" end and the positive is the inner. using a knife I was able to remove the hard plastic coating covering the plug and locate and mark the appropriate wires.

Thanks for the help you guys are the Bomb.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

If you have a volt-ohm-meter (vom), you can tell which lead is negative. First you set the vom to DC volts (20v or 200v scale should do). The vom has a positive (red) lead and a negative (black) lead. After connecting your leads to the vom leads, power that puppy up. If the vom shows a + voltage, then the lead you have connected to the vom's black lead is "negative. If the vom shows a - voltage then the lead you have connected to the vom's black lead is positive.

If you don't have a vom, you can probably borrow one or you can buy a cheap one from Wal-mart for about $15.

Tom

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used

Cool thanks timberwolf.

I was going to buy one at lowes the other day but had no idea how to test the ends. I'll have to stop and pick one up on the way home

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

I bought a pocket digital multimeter years ago for about $10.00 and carry it with me almost all the time. Never know when you need to test a battery, an alternator, a light switch, etc.

For those that experienced similar bubbling from both wires when trying to find the negative. The charger, or adapter you have, might be an AC input and AC output, :o instead of an AC input with a DC output, making it useless for electrolysis. ::)

I don't know if it is widely known on TNet, or not, but I've noticed mention of the use of higher voltages, (as in 12, or 18 volts), being preferred when doing electrolysis, with low amperage. Just thought I would mention that.

Theres a good page about cleaning coins and a link to information on using electrolysis here:
http://www.mycoincollecting.com/collecting/cleaning-coins.html

F.

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar

cosmic said:
Marked wire usually the positive...
Correct. Try moving the wires further apart when in the water and then see if one bubbles more than the other.
I use 2 power supplies at once in a paint roller pan. ;D The total milliamps is about 2500. Frys the crap right off those suckers. Not sure whether we have different currents here in Australia though. Its all about trial and error ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread