Excitement, pissed off, happy

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it's been an interesting couple of days, Went to a house that I got permission for last Monday but they were not home, so I went across the road and asked there. Lady answered the door and I explained who I was and what I wanted, she was a little cagey but gave permission on condition I only did the front yard because Hubby was a little fussy about the lawn (was not that great or good grass) Ok I thought, sweet so off I went and started detecting.

I start at the corner of the path leading up to the house and only managed to move a foot and got a signal, dug it and it was a 1909 wheatie. Moved one more foot and another wheatie 1927 S, another couple of feet and 2 clad pennies. One more foot and got another deep signal, pulled out 1 more 1909 wheatie, then another wheatie!, rechecked hole and another wheatie!! ......3 wheatie's from the same hole!!! (first for me) I thought this place is a Virgin honey pot and I was already starting to think of all the Silver I will be finding.

Then my bubble got popped, I noticed a guy standing in front of me (never heard or seen him arrive) and he says "Make that your last hole" in a stern voice. Looks like Hubby was home and did not like what I was doing on his yard, I tried to explain I was being very careful and making sure plugs went back in with out any signs I was there. He wasn't listening, he just say's again in the same voice "Make that your last hole thank you" Arse hole I thought but I politely complied, tidied up and got my gear and left.

Now what burns me is that it was looking like the best site I have ever been to and it was snatched out from under me but **** happens and I moved on. Tried around the corner but found only small amount of clad, moved a couple of blocks and saw this fairly old place with an older looking guy sitting on the steps. On impulse I pulled over and walked over to him, introduced myself and what I was wanting. He said go for it, house was built in the 1800's and he has been there since the sixty''s.......Oh one last thing it has been pounded to death over the years by MD's, great I thought....another barren wasteland!!

Next few hours found 50 cents of clad and 2 wheat pennies, then I find another Indian Head penny in good condition 1903 (Liberty and 4 diamonds is there) so that made my day.

Next day I had stuff to do but finally got to do some detecting (it had been raining in the morning), went back to the old place hoping the signals will be better with the rain we had and within 10 minutes of getting out of the truck I found some neat jewelery and my very first Silver Quarter 1961. I was on cloud nine and next hour produced nothing much except for a tiny sterling silver necklace thing. All in all a good day to find stuff from a pounded site :happysmiley: and the ATPRO was going good and finding more I use it.

Here are the pics and sorry for the long winded story.
[/B]

DSCN0200.JPG DSCN0201.JPG DSCN0203.JPG DSCN0206.JPG DSCN0210.JPG DSCN0217.JPG DSCN0224.JPG DSCN0225.JPG DSCN0227.JPG DSCN0228.JPG

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cringed at your story of digging holes in the guys lawn. You'd do lots less damage popping out the coins and leaving the deeper ones specially since it was private property. The AT Pro isn't known for spot pinpointing so you can't stick a probe and touch a target.

Sorry if I come of mean, but I haven't had my coffee. Nice find for the little time you were there.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cringed at your story of digging holes in the guys lawn. You'd do lots less damage popping out the coins and leaving the deeper ones specially since it was private property.

??? You were initially given permission, so don't sweat it. You did the hobby right. The deeper targets are the ones to go for, ESPECIALLY on private property.

Great find on the 13-S, looking forward to your future finds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swagman

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks bigwave, I did feel a little guilty but that's what really annoyed me. I know I did nothing wrong, I asked and I was really tidy with the plugs. And I don't use a probe because they basically suck, not because the ATPRO can't pinpoint good because it can, But because that's old school, slow, damages the coin and you still have to dig to get the coin, plus it is hit and miss trying to find target.

And Sandman sorry if my little story made you cringe, my question is why? Part of the hobby of metal detecting is asking home owners for permission to detect. Once they give it then there really is no problem digging holes as long as you respect the lawn no matter what condition it is in. It is a fact of life that some people are annal about their little bit of dirt and grass, Personally I have better stuff to do then worry over how my grass looks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bigwave, I did feel a little guilty but that's what really annoyed me. I know I did nothing wrong, I asked and I was really tidy with the plugs. And I don't use a probe because they basically suck, not because the ATPRO can't pinpoint good because it can, But because that's old school, slow, damages the coin and you still have to dig to get the coin, plus it is hit and miss trying to find target.

And Sandman sorry if my little story made you cringe, my question is why? Part of the hobby of metal detecting is asking home owners for permission to detect. Once they give it then there really is no problem digging holes as long as you respect the lawn no matter what condition it is in. It is a fact of life that some people are annal about their little bit of dirt and grass, Personally I have better stuff to do then worry over how my grass looks.

I cringe from the having to dig plugs at every beep. I don't care about my grass either but other people do and tell their friends about the holes so less ground is open for detectorists. If every hunter had to dig a plug we would soon find more grounds closed to hunting. More has to be done to educate hunters about how to cut a plug, place dirt on a cloth so it can be returned and not cut plugs in dry grass. I manage some parks and the holes are getting worse with dug trash left on top. :BangHead:. Not that you do such, but I think we are our own worst enemy. Sorry to get on the soap box.

OP
OP
swagman

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes Sandman I understand and agree with you but just to fill in the details on this, I was using a drop cloth and I made the trowel cuts very precise and the holes were about 4 inches deep, I try not to have the plugs bigger then 3 or 4 inches in diameter. In fact the plug recoveries were the best I have ever done and there was no sign I was ever there. I try hard to make my digging super clean and take time putting back the plugs to the extent of the shape of the plug fitting the hole correctly. I dig the good tones that I know have a good chance to produce something worth while, the mid tones I leave unless I have reign over the site or have plenty of time and have already cleaned out the better high tones.

There are some bad hunters out there I will admit and it is not doing this hobby any good PR, I try to at least make up for them in my home town. There is one guy I know of who uses a probe and I see his little squirrel scratchings every where I go. I do not go on anyones property with the intent of ransacking and pillaging and I am always thankful to the owners for giving me permission to hunt and I let them know that.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cringed at your story of digging holes in the guys lawn. You'd do lots less damage popping out the coins and leaving the deeper ones specially since it was private property. The AT Pro isn't known for spot pinpointing so you can't stick a probe and touch a target.

Sorry if I come of mean, but I haven't had my coffee. Nice find for the little time you were there.
so you recommend taking only the shallow new stuff and leaving the deeper and almost always older coins. i personally detect with the intention of finding old coins and will leave an area with to much clad. leave the deeper ones, i say leave the shallow ones. I think Swagman did everything right.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swagman I am sure you did right. :coffee2: The word dig must set me off.

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like the owner (husband) didn't know that metal detecting entailed digging a hole and putting stuff back.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KIller Finds man! That does suck about the hubby, Its tough when people have different opinions on what "Being Careful" means. I secured permission once at a place and the guy was really cool at first, I found a couple wheats and he thought it was cool, but after about my 3rd hour there, he was ready for me to leave and then told me his wife didnt feel comfortable me being there. I probally should have only stayed an hour or so. But when you are detecting, and hour goes by in about 10 mins..lol

Anyway, glad you were able to pull out some really good coins.

that 1913-s is awesome!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds my man. that IHC is just awesome! Sorry that the dude gave you the boot! Some people are just like that. better luck on the next one! GL&HH.

OP
OP
swagman

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah thanks, that 1913S wheatie is my best one and the IH is one of my nicest. There was 50 odd wheaties minted I think (by year) and I have 35 of them, trying to get most (forget about the VRB and steel) need to be really lucky there lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions