Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im sure everyone who relic hunt finds big chunks of iron has some unknown object inside. Just wanted to mention how I got to the center of the tootsie roll pop. If you assume that the object isnt going to be a museum piece......an electric auto engraver. I found my old Craftsman engraver and went at it! What I found inside was an old cast iron Kilgore G-Man luger cap pistol.....well some of it. It was only a chunk, but know I know it will work if I'm curious enough to do the work. As you get closer to the object you can dial the vibrating down. Isn't a show piece, but it was only an experiment. Thought some body might want to try it.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes soaking the object in white vinegar will dissolve all of the rust, allowing you to save the relic inside.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Problem with using anything that can break up the rust, such as a hammer will remove some of the metal underneath. I'm not too sure if an engraver would be too aggressive. You could try electrolysis. I have limited experience going this route, but there are numerous threads concerning the subject.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Electrolysis works really well and is pretty cheap and easy. Let me know if you need help making one. I bought wire clips for around $2 and used an old phone charger and works pretty well.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with FBD that vinegar works well, only with repeated sessions of chipping away the crusty rust, wire brushing it, THEN back into clean, fresh vinegar...again!.
After several sessions, things may free up, to where objects operate again - bright, shiny (but pitted) metal.
Seal the metal with a very light coat of Vaseline.

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis is the way to go, I use a car battery charger 12v. Be sure u don't let your connectors get wet or they will dissolve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread