Clerk didnt know what my halves were...

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

On my return trip from Montana last week I decided to eat lunch at the airport (bad idea due to cost).

I was on a layover in Minn, MN and went into an AW to get a chili dog. So anyways one chili dog, fries and drink came out to $9.48 so I gave the clerk 19 halves I had obtained from a bank in Montana.

She had a foreign accent, Somolian i would guess from her looks and dialect...she asked me what the coins were...so I told her .50 cent pieces. Actually I said they are 50 cents each. She counts up the 19 halves and says there is only $4.50 here...so I again explained they were 50 cents each. She recounted and gave me my two cents back in change...

I had read stories on here about teens who didn't know what the halves were, but never thought I would actually run into this situation...just thought it was funny.

Happy Hunting all!

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

Surprised she didn't try to give you $9.50 in change, that's usually what I end up with. Of course, I always correct them, but I still think it's funny. It's happened to me at least a half dozen times.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Funny, yet sad. Ya can't really blame those poor folk and teens. When is the last time you actually got back a fiddy cent piece in regular change. I sure can't remember when! ffd

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009

After dealing with so many idiots im begining to think i should have been a rocket scientist. I usually carry a half dollar to show them. I am still having problems trying to explain what hand rolled coins are. I just recently taught another teller who thought she couldnt order halves that the question isnt whether or not they can but whether or not they will. Again i am always very polite.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro

GlassyEyed:
Just remember the current rate of conversion is two halves equal one Somolian.....
- Grizz

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

Have run into many adults too who count them as $'s and give me change accordingly; one lady looked at them like they might be foreign or counterfeit she was in her 40's.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

quiksilver said:
After dealing with so many idiots im begining to think i should have been a rocket scientist. I usually carry a half dollar to show them. I am still having problems trying to explain what hand rolled coins are. I just recently taught another teller who thought she couldnt order halves that the question isnt whether or not they can but whether or not they will.Again i am always very polite.
See my previous reply.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's called having fun with currency :laughing7:

It makes a boring day ton's of fun

Just for laugh's throw in a couple Ike's :wink:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Jeep said:
It's called having fun with currency :laughing7:

It makes a boring day ton's of fun

Just for laugh's throw in a couple Ike's :wink:
Ya mean "silver dollars?" lol!

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try this once the bill is $4.37 give em,3 singles 3 halfs and 7 cents. could take a while (just give me the 20 cents) huh?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

I have gotten numerous people that tell me they don't take foriegn money when I try to give them a half, and others that think they are dollars. Some think they are rare, and even if clad keep them for themselves. I had one guy tell me he was buying them from someone else at $0.75 per half, since they were rare. I told him they were not, and offered to sell him whatever he wanted for $0.50 per half. he didn't take any from me, but I bet when the other guy (Scammer) came in they had a nice talk. lol.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jrf30 said:
I have gotten numerous people that tell me they don't take foriegn money when I try to give them a half, and others that think they are dollars. Some think they are rare, and even if clad keep them for themselves. I had one guy tell me he was buying them from someone else at $0.75 per half, since they were rare. I told him they were not, and offered to sell him whatever he wanted for $0.50 per half. he didn't take any from me, but I bet when the other guy (Scammer) came in they had a nice talk. lol.
Yeah, i've ran into a couple clerks who thought they were rare and collectible too. It's fun to watch peoples reactions when you pay using halves.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2

That time when I gave the Wendy's clerk a bunch of the 50 cent pieces I was carrying to pay for my bill she asked, What are they,Who makes um?

rickomatic

Greenie
May 14, 2010
Snohomish WA
Detector(s) used
some el cheapo right now

Try payin at McDonalds with a couple Susan B's or Sac's. Talk about a blank stare..........LOL

rwb83

Mar 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Looking to buy!!!

There are two factors to concider in this situation: 1. She's a teen and they rarely see the Halves anymore due to VERY reduced circulation 2. With that accent you described she is probably a foreigner and again, it is rare to see halves in actual circulation anymore. I think I have gone 2 years without getting a single 50 cent piece in day to day change.

That being said, one would think that in training a merchant/restaurant would at the very least ensure that their employee's at least know what a 50 cent piece or a Susan B is...

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At my job all the front end girls on the registers at the market are either high school or collage age i wanted to buy a 20oz soda it cost 1.78 with tax and deposit i just happen to have a 2.00 bill nothing special i handed the girl the bill she said what is this ? i said a 2 dollar bill LOL she had to turn around and show all the other girls the bill who all came over and all said OMG!! i never saw one of those is it new ? then the girl did not know where to put the bill she had to ask the pit boss she said just put it under the 1.00 bills :laughing7: i just laughed took my change and went back to work .Dd60

rwb83

Mar 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Looking to buy!!!

Deepdiger60 said:
At my job all the front end girls on the registers at the market are either high school or collage age i wanted to buy a 20oz soda it cost 1.78 with tax and deposit i just happen to have a 2.00 bill nothing special i handed the girl the bill she said what is this ? i said a 2 dollar bill LOL she had to turn around and show all the other girls the bill who all came over and all said OMG!! i never saw one of those is it new ? i just laughed took my change and went back to work .Dd60

Lucky they didn't accuse you of trying to pass a fake bill lol.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rwb83 said:
Deepdiger60 said:
At my job all the front end girls on the registers at the market are either high school or collage age i wanted to buy a 20oz soda it cost 1.78 with tax and deposit i just happen to have a 2.00 bill nothing special i handed the girl the bill she said what is this ? i said a 2 dollar bill LOL she had to turn around and show all the other girls the bill who all came over and all said OMG!! i never saw one of those is it new ? i just laughed took my change and went back to work .Dd60

Lucky they didn't accuse you of trying to pass a fake bill lol.
Yea really lol

OP
OP
GlassyEyed

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jrf30 said:

Yep...every so often I have to pay to park at work. I usually pay in halves since it's only $3. Every single time the same lady gets this look of wonder on her face and says..."Ooohh I am buying these from the register".

And last week I was in a pawn shop in Montana when I asked the owner how much for the 40% he had in a glass case...he quoted me a price and then said..."You know all of them below 1968 are silver". My reply was actually 1970 and below have silver...he just gave me a blank stare :0). You would think a pawn shop owner would know such things??

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GlassyEyed said:
jrf30 said:

Yep...every so often I have to pay to park at work. I usually pay in halves since it's only $3. Every single time the same lady gets this look of wonder on her face and says..."Ooohh I am buying these from the register".

And last week I was in a pawn shop in Montana when I asked the owner how much for the 40% he had in a glass case...he quoted me a price and then said..."You know all of them below 1968 are silver". My reply was actually 1970 and below have silver...he just gave me a blank stare :0). You would think a pawn shop owner would know such things??

How much did he want for the 40%er? Bet he though it was rare...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread