Clerk didnt know what my halves were...

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

On my return trip from Montana last week I decided to eat lunch at the airport (bad idea due to cost).

I was on a layover in Minn, MN and went into an AW to get a chili dog. So anyways one chili dog, fries and drink came out to $9.48 so I gave the clerk 19 halves I had obtained from a bank in Montana.

She had a foreign accent, Somolian i would guess from her looks and dialect...she asked me what the coins were...so I told her .50 cent pieces. Actually I said they are 50 cents each. She counts up the 19 halves and says there is only $4.50 here...so I again explained they were 50 cents each. She recounted and gave me my two cents back in change...

I had read stories on here about teens who didn't know what the halves were, but never thought I would actually run into this situation...just thought it was funny.

Happy Hunting all!

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Clerk didn't know what my halves were...

if a pawn shop owner said that to me ( 68 and before are silver)-- i'd ask got any 69's or 70 junk clad halves ? -- i collect em and will give you 60 cents each for em.-- i do not care for pawn shop operators as a whole.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
i do not care for pawn shop operators as a whole.
You must watch Pawn Stars ;D
I like the old man myself. :thumbsup: He reminds me of me :wink:

OP
OP
GlassyEyed

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AGCoinHunter said:
GlassyEyed said:
jrf30 said:
I have gotten numerous people that tell me they don't take foriegn money when I try to give them a half, and others that think they are dollars. Some think they are rare, and even if clad keep them for themselves. I had one guy tell me he was buying them from someone else at $0.75 per half, since they were rare. I told him they were not, and offered to sell him whatever he wanted for $0.50 per half. he didn't take any from me, but I bet when the other guy (Scammer) came in they had a nice talk. lol.

Yep...every so often I have to pay to park at work. I usually pay in halves since it's only $3. Every single time the same lady gets this look of wonder on her face and says..."Ooohh I am buying these from the register".

And last week I was in a pawn shop in Montana when I asked the owner how much for the 40% he had in a glass case...he quoted me a price and then said..."You know all of them below 1968 are silver". My reply was actually 1970 and below have silver...he just gave me a blank stare :0). You would think a pawn shop owner would know such things??

How much did he want for the 40%er? Bet he though it was rare...

He was asking $3.50 for them and $8.50 for a few Benjamins he had. I asked out of curiousity as I prefer to find them in rolls.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

wow, how does someone really not know what a half dollar is when they live in America, or if they havent heard of them b4 is it that hard to under stand 2 halves make a whole, so 2 half dollars make a whole dollar? wow, seriously.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Went thru the fast-food joint today to grab breakfast before some a.m. dirt fishin.
I paid with 3 Ikes, a half, and two canadian dimes. I had to do a double take, thought for a moment the half was 25 cents, go figure. amc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread