Clevenger delevery problem need advice

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
I ordered a Ace250 the end of November from Clevenger, he indicated it would be delivered Tues 12/5 with signature required for delivery. I made a point to be here to accept the delivery, when it didn't come I though maybe he shipped a day late or UPS is running slow due to the Christmas rush starting.
Finally called him on Monday 12/11 to check & he seamed irritated about the problem gave me the UPS tracking # & 800# & told me he shipped it was my problem to check on.
UPS told me they delivered the machine on 12/4 & left it on my porch, I was out to about 9pm that night & there was no machine when I got home.
UPS said they take responsibility as they were supposed to delivery in person & get a signature but that their responsibility was to Clevenger not me & they would make it right with him, & they would call him to handle.
I did not hear from him so, Finlay called , he said when they send him the claim form he will fill out & return & when they pay him he will ship me another machine, he could not give me any time but I got the impression it was going to be a month or more or into Jan 07.
I ordered the machine to have in time for my Christmas week off leaving the morning of 12/22.
So he has my $ & I'm not getting the machine any time soon, which I find unacceptable.
I need advice how to handle this , should I cancel the order & ask for a credit back to my credit card, ask for a shipment today as I think a good dealer should do to take care of a customer that has bought 3 machines over 10 years from him, Or take my vacation to great hunting areas with out a detector & do a slow burn.
Any advice as to how to handle this problem would be appreciated.
thanks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would Re-Contact U.P.S. Daily, until I got Satisfaction.

They made the Mistake, They are Responsable.

And YES I can become a Real Pain when I want to.
I would also Advise them, I will be contacting a Local TV Station,
to see IF they would Like to do a story on U.P.S.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Harry, hate to hear such a story - somebody, somewhere received your machine and that's for certain. I would just bug the heck out of them until it was in my hands.

Cash and carry when it comes to a detector or hobby supplies - just can't trust people now days. Maybe it was delivered and someone stole it off your porch? Hard to say....good luck though.

OP
OP
captinharry

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
I agree I should have gone to my local dealer, but I have bought several detectors from Clevenger over the last 10 years with no problem & the local guy is an hour drive each way.
UPS has been great, takes responsibility for the problem, apologized to me for the problem & assures me they are going to take care of it. But they work for the shipper & their responsibility is to him not me.
When I call Clevenger he gets real pissy with me & I am now in my early 60's & don't need to put up with people with attitude problems any more.
According to UPS, Clevender does not have a completed sale until they put the package in my hand & get my signature, so he aught to be a bit more cooperative with his customer.
Guess the question is would I be petty & Chicken to cancel the sale at this point.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you cancel the sale, he probably wouldn't credit your card until after he gets paid anyway. If the money is an issue, I don't know. If the money is not an issue, I would call Clevenger, and say that I had bought several metal detectors from you over the last ten years. This one is a present for my grandchild, and if you can't think of a way to make this happen for a return customer, then just cancel my order. Do a rush order with Kellyco or drive to your local dealer and buiy one on the spot. Tell Clevenger that you understand they will not credit you card until they are paid, but they will never get your business again after that.

Best,

Mike

T

TheDetectorist

Sounds like the course of action I would take also. I have purchased detectors from Clevenger's in the past also, and was always happy. There is no excuse for rudeness to a customer though. Facts are: he has your money, you have no detector. He should be jumping through hoops to keep you happy.

If he's not willing to make this right (and fast) then drop him and go elsewhere. Let us know what happens though. My future purchases from Clevengers may hinge on how he treats you.

TD

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we had a telescpoe delivered to our house once er
make that twice
the guy down the street on the corner got our first one
only other house on the street with a 9 in the address go figure :-\

OP
OP
captinharry

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
I'll call him again this afternoon & cancil the order, my credit card company will credit the charge if I let them know the problem so he can't hold my $ for an unreasonable time. I did check my card account on the web & he charged me the day I ordered so has had the $ since the end of november.
I appreciate this forum & all the great people here, has renewed my interest in MD which comes & goes over the years.

OP
OP
captinharry

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Just talked to Chuck Clevenger & it was a good conversation, don't know if he reads this forum or if he realized he needs to be more customer friendly, or if he is tired of me calling, but he is shipping another machine, should be here mid next week SO I am happy. He is cheaper than anyone else & a fast shipper, he is abrupt on the phone but otherwise I think a good dealer
If there is a problem next week , I will of course come here a P**ing & moaning

Thanks for all the responses

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
let us know how it goes. i will base my future business with clevenger on the outcome. ;)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I toohave bought from clevenger he must check in here fom time to time :)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Capt H,

have only read good things about
Clevenger. Bit of a suprise that he
would not ship a new one as soon as
he got word that UPS did not get signature.

Your having to call several times is a bummer.

Do keep us posted.

have a good un......

T

TheDetectorist

captinharry said:
Just talked to Chuck Clevenger & it was a good conversation, don't know if he reads this forum or if he realized he needs to be more customer friendly, or if he is tired of me calling, but he is shipping another machine, should be here mid next week SO I am happy. He is cheaper than anyone else & a fast shipper, he is abrupt on the phone but otherwise I think a good dealer
If there is a problem next week , I will of course come here a P**ing & moaning

Thanks for all the responses

Glad to see he is trying to keep you a happy customer. I hope UPS doesn't screw up you shipment again.

TD

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
I live near him so I buy most of my stuff from him. His prices are hard to beat. Watch UPS though, I recently had a 700 dollar detector left on the porch in the middle of a snow storm. (clevenger had none)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I hope Chuck will send in the SN# to Garrett's. Surely the sucker that stole it wouldn't be stupid enough to send in the Warranty Card. ::)

OP
OP
captinharry

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
UPS was the screw up in this delivery, their records shows signature required for delivery, so the driver that left it (if he did) is responsible.
I live in a decent mid-class neighborhood, but the surrounding area has been taken over by the illegals over the last 5 years & with the invasion has come crime, gangs, drugs, drive by shootings, muggings, car snatching, drunk driving with no insurance, graffiti painted on everything, Caucasians having to put their children in private schools. No one speaking English every where you go, & a real attitude problem among the Mexicans.
I was out with the porch light on, so I would guess someone driving by saw the package & it was a snatch/back in car & gone in 30 seconds.
With the instructions in English they probably don't know what they got.

T

TheDetectorist

The most likely scenario is that the driver saw the company the shipment was from and decided to pawn it for some quick cash. Why else would he ignore a required signature? Next scenario is that he dumped it at the nieghbors house, or at your address on the wrong street. Anyone else with you last name in town? I have recieved mail/packages for my house number, but different street, and gotten my parents mail, and the have gotten my stuff before.

UPS used to be such a great company, but anymore they just suck.

TD

OP
OP
captinharry

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Tonight @ 7:15pm the door bell rang, by the time I got to the door all I could see was the back of the UPS truck going down the block & on my porch was the replacement Ace250 from Clevengers, packaged clearly marked ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED with the signature tear off form still attached.
If I was not an honest man I could have claimed I didn't get this one & UPS would not have a leg to stand on. IF I was not home it would not have made but an hour or two on my porch before someone driving by snatched it.

Clevenger included a Garrett carry bag & a few extras in addition to the other goodies he throws in like volume controlled stereo headphones etc.

UPS caused him problems so I guess he had a reason to be grumpy in the beginning, but he included a nice note expressing his including the extra as I had to wait.
I know it will take another month or so for him to get reimbursed by UPS so he is out some money until then.

I bought my 1st detector from him in fall '95 & he was not a new dealer at that time & I have bought several other machines over the years.
He always beats everyones price by a good 20.00 or so & throws in some goddies, so he will continue to get my business, & my recommendations.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'd get ahold of the UPS office and ask to speak to the top manager. Tell him what happened this time and last time as well. Say you know you're supposed to sign for the package as U have the unsigned signature tear off form still attached. Do they want it or should you just mail it and the info along with the package routing # to the head office at:

UPS Corporate Headquarters
55 Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta , GA 30328
United States

Odds are it was the same driver both times. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread