captinharry

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Thanks for the UPS information,
I am going to make a stink about this,
I'm in Houston & the crime rate here is up over 50% since last year, (not a misprint 150,000 of new orleans worst wound up here + about 500 new wets, each day, 7 day a week) so leaving a valuable package laying around twice when its clearly marked for signature delevery is unacceptable.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I know the crime rate down there hasn't gone down any. I did a report in college many years ago and Houston was one of the few PD's that issued the .41Mag revolver when everyone else thought that .357's were more than powerful enough.

Nowdays though, I thought that you just signed a digital pad. Would be interesting to see if the driver is forging your name and calling someone to drive by and do a retrieval. Nah--to much guessing and speculation. Just give 'em hell. ;)

OP
OP
captinharry

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
the package has a tear off signature form, probably to send back to Clevenger or whoever shipped.
I don't get the impression the drivers are bright enough to pull a scam, my guess is they are under pressure to delver a lot of packages fast at Christmas, but who knows I am happy to have a new machine for use over the holidays

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad that you finally got your order from Clevenger in time to use it. Due to UPS being rushed for the holidays, the drivers will toss it out of the truck to your door if it wasn't so far away. As for Chuck being "grumpy," you gotta remember you might have reached him while he was eating, or otherwise disposed. Course, that is no excuse for being rude, but think how you would handle phone calls all hours for the day and night. As good as Clevenger's prices are, I'd drive the extra hour to a dealer so I wouldn't have to wonder how many times UPS dropped it on the floor. Same goes for Ebay orders.

T

TreasureTales

UPS is supposed to get a signature. Short of that, they are supposed to leave the package with a neighbor or in a protected place (like between the front door and the screen door). A package as big as a metal detector won't fit between the front door and the screen door. And the Christmas rush is just an excuse, in my opinion. In my town, UPS drops and hops all the time. Their drivers don't adhere to company policy. Of course, the alternative to drop and hop is to not leave the package because no one was home and so they then take the package back to their warehouse and you have to call them to get the package delivered, which can be a whole new problem.

One time I ordered something about as big as a detector and it didn't arrive when it was supposed to. After a week, I called the vendor and was told the item had been delivered. I called UPS and they said it had been delivered, but without a signature. I asked the neighbors and they didn't see it (all trustworthy folks). Another day or two passed when I went out to the back porch for something. There was the item, it had apparently been there for two weeks. Now this was good and bad news. Good that I finally got the item but bad because the UPS driver had to open a closed 6ft. gate, go through the door of the back porch and leave the box about 2 feet from my bedroom door. That was what I call an invasion of privacy. He could look right into the house from his drop-off spot on the back porch. I was ticked off. I called UPS and they said that opening gates and doors was not their policy, unless INSTRUCTED TO DO SO, and even then they don't like to do it for various reasons. So I have had it with UPS. This was not the first problem I've experienced with them.

I will buy from a local MD dealer even though it costs a little more. And usually the local guy will throw in a few free goodies too, and often a discount on accessories as well. Just my 2 cents. I don't know anything about Clevenger.

OP
OP
captinharry

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
UPS has gone from a efficient delivery service to very poor service. In the past when I was not here they left a note on my door & I went to their local terminal (10 min. away) & picked it up the next day & I preferred. IF they could email me its in I would go get it each time.
I just sold 2 old detectors & had no problems shipping them but it was last month before the holiday rush. They few 10 years old so hopefully this one will last that long.

Happy Holidays to everyone on this list & Happy Hunting in '07

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
UPS f'd up, but the guy who sold you the detector should be doing more, like sending you another detector, since it is pretty much a 100% probability that he will get his money back from UPS. Instead he's making you wait. UPS can't make it right, he can, but has chosen not to. I'd stay away from him after all this is done and over. Sorry to hear about this............I for one am very impatient when it comes to waiting for something. A situation like this would probably cause a stroke at the age of 29 for me.

D

DemonOutlaw

any new info on this,I was wondering as I was considering ordering from clevengers.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU's Need to Read Above ;)

captinharry said:
Tonight @ 7:15pm the door bell rang, by the time I got to the door all I could see was the back of the UPS truck going down the block & on my porch was the replacement Ace250 from Clevengers, packaged clearly marked ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED with the signature tear off form still attached.
If I was not an honest man I could have claimed I didn't get this one & UPS would not have a leg to stand on. IF I was not home it would not have made but an hour or two on my porch before someone driving by snatched it.

Clevenger included a Garrett carry bag & a few extras in addition to the other goodies he throws in like volume controlled stereo headphones etc.

UPS caused him problems so I guess he had a reason to be grumpy in the beginning, but he included a nice note expressing his including the extra as I had to wait.
I know it will take another month or so for him to get reimbursed by UPS so he is out some money until then.

I bought my 1st detector from him in fall '95 & he was not a new dealer at that time & I have bought several other machines over the years.
He always beats everyones price by a good 20.00 or so & throws in some goddies, so he will continue to get my business, & my recommendations.

The Problem WAS with U.P.S. no matter where you order from,
IF U.P.S. in your area is Brain Dead, You'll have Problems.

DirtyHowi

Oct 6, 2006
somewhere in the middle of nowhere iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 Thank You Santa :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPS has also taken on the FED EXpensive model for home delivery's, those guys get paid basically by the package delivered, they lease the big brown truck and are in essence indy drivers. Now for business's it's different, those are company men. but for home delivery they are any schmuck with enough money to lease a truck for the first month.

had a similar problem with UPS and about 900 bucks in computer components a while back. cept where i am at, you'd just about need a telescope to see the porch from the road.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well anyway iam glad clevenger came through .The next md is still coming from him

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread