Cliff finally gives up a first barber quarter-and more! Update on the 16th post!

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I've been waiting for this for a while. There's a cliff in the woods of the CIA that I've been searching. It has given plenty of turn of the century coins, such as IHs, Vs, and barber/seated dimes. The last few times I searched and found nothing. I've been stumped at the absence of quarters, considering that I've found 15 dimes. I spent the first 2 hours with a few scant pieces of trash. I got a nice quarter signal at 1/2 inch and thought barber, since I've found silver dimes that shallow, but was it was an 84 clad quarter. I went around to a path covered with lots of leaves near where I found my first v nickel. I got a loud quarter signal at 6", so I pushed the leaves away and the depth went down to 4". I crossed my fingers, and hoped for the best while expecting the worst as i dug the signal. It could be something other than a coin, like lead, a piece of copper wire, can slaw, a fishing weight, all of which I've found around the area. But this signal was very solid, only varying by about 2 vdi points at 76. This one was the real deal, a detail rich 1892 barber quarter. The pictures are blurry but liberty and e pluribus unum are bold. I gently rinsed some dirt off but there was no mintmark on the back, which makes it a common date, but ANY barber coin with lots of detail is rare. It is an awesome find nevertheless. I think that's enough searching at that site for a while. I'm going to try to find a forgotten grove like that one.

Attachments

• Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 634
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 635
Upvote 0

gmsparky

Aug 14, 2007
metro detroit
Detector(s) used
dfx, m6, prizm III
OP
OP
SMS88

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Considering that I've never found a half or dollar of any kind, clad included, except in club hunts, they are definetly much rarer to find. Back in the 1890's, a quarter had about the purchasing power of about a $5 bill today. Double that for a half, and double that again for a dollar. Yes barber halves are worth more, almost every one is worth at least $80 in VF for the common dates. Dollars are worth surprisingly less. Morgan Dollars were made in high quantities, and were not as popular as paper money, so few were lost and most survivors are in high grades. Unless you're talking a CC or key date, most morgans in VF are worth about $18. Trade and seated dollars are worth much more, however.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
That is a GREAT-looking Barber quarter!!

It's so uncommon to find Barbers in that condition, which makes it that much nicer when you do.

Spectacular coin find, regardless of book value..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread