CLUES TO THE LOST DUTCMAN MINE

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I'd bet with all the talk about millions of gold having been taken out of this mine alone, many will be encouraged to search the mountains for more.
And not just this area, even for those who believe it IS the LDM. It's obvious that those who have and continue to claim there is and was no Lost Dutchman or gold to be found were either wrong or lying. Certainly lying if they knew all along about this mine. And who knows, what might they know about other finds like this, while at the same time trying to discourage others from looking ??

Best:Wayne

Good point - and really does it matter if the Pit mine were the LDM or not, if it produced millions for them? This part never makes sense to me, for I don't care what the mine is called if it has loads of gold and/or silver for me to take out, heck we can call it the Easter bunny mine and I can laugh all the way to the bank.

Just my opinion but I don't think that whole area should have ever been included in the wilderness; the wilderness act is supposed to exclude all known mineralized lands, and there are a number of known mines and mineralized areas inside the Superstition Wilderness. Even silica is a vailuable mineral for mining, our silicon chips in our computers need it, and there are known silica veins of high purity inside the wilderness. If I were a lawyer, I think I would start putting this stuff to the test.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek - and we can call it what ever name you like!
Oroblanco

PS just in case I don't get on here, Happy Thanksgiving to you all too!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd mornng Dude, why I suggested a Geo chem kit to detect the Ag that almost always is associated with the Au.

Side issue, no-one ever cleans out the source of the Float gold. There are always rich lil sringers, pockets., etc. that keep feeding the Alluvial fan..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Well Wayne in that case there may still be a hidden out cropping below the Pitt mine. Now that would be interesting.

Wayne. Just recalled a point on the Pitt mine. A rear entrance. That could be where the outcropping was located.
Years of attending thousands of police classes my eyes get droopy as soon as I hit a classroom. In this case I had to fight that off.
For those hiking for a look at the Pitt. The uphill side is surrounded by big rocks. The Pitt was back filled somewhat and does not look safe. If you are planing to search for samples a regular detector is too big. Use a Falcon md10 or 20. My md10 picks up the silver or gold in the ore. With its 1" coil it was designed just for that. Testing ore.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,Frank. I believe you did show me that little gadget. Would fit nice in the backpack too.
Still want to get the big one out there, though. Gonna need something that will ring the bells at "1" Vara down.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im hoping I get a falcon for Christmas.
If not, Im buying one myself anyway.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Opinion's

John D Mitchell wrote a story for his lost mine book on the LDM. He did not list the normal clues. He wrote a German named Frank made a dry washer for Waltz. The story states the following. Waltz told the carpenter he found very rich placer gravel near Iron mountain on a branch of Pinto creek and was prospecting upstream to find the vein. On the next trip he told Frank he found a old Peralta working from which the placer gold eroded. Frank who later live at the Pioneer's Home said many old timers knew the mine was located somewhere on Pinto creek not far from Iron mountain. One of the Poston brothers and a man named Meyers of Tucson bought some ore from Waltz and tried to follow him to the mine. Losing the trail at Whitlows ranch on upper Queen creek.
Opinion?

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just read the book,the manuscript that Chuck posted, and it said take the Gov trail towards San Carlos,( thus heading east towards Whitlow Ranch, turn South,dont know where yet, then head East again I believe, ( ihave to read the story again).
So,it could be out towards Queen Valley,or in the area of Iron Mountain.
Not saying the pitt mine,but in this area.
But as in the story,1 cowboy was known to say he knocked over a marker.This way,he knows the spot,so if some one wants to find it,they have to include him.
How many others where destroyed.
This is why it cant be found if it is out there.
Trying to find a 2-4 foot hole,buried and concealed in the supes as they are today.
Ya right.
Your circle is from the Verde,to 4 peaks,to Roosevelt Lake, down to Globe, west to Florence,back to Phoenix.
I can bury some thing in my back yard, and after the first rainstorm,the very next day,you wont find it. The hole that is.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Have to agree with Sarge, the Mitchell account is usually ignored by most Dutch hunters but I think it deserves consideration; after all Mitchell talked to everyone he could get any information from, and was living/working in the area while many of the people who knew Waltz were still alive, so was able to interview people (sources) that have a different perspective.

Please do continue;
Oroblanco

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Who and where is the Mitchell story?
What would I google.
I don't think Iv'e read it.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
As I recall, somewhere it is written that Waltz said something about the setting sun shining into the mouth/entrance of his mine:

Photo by Dave Leach

There are many such matches at the Pit Mine.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have to admit you have the best pics .
How many years ago was that taken as someone said it had caved in. Some what.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I have to admit you have the best pics .
How many years ago was that taken as someone said it had caved in. Some what.

RR,

It's true that I do have the best pics of the Pit Mine. I don't believe anyone else has pictures of the interior either. Thing is.........none of them are taken by me. They were all taken by my good friend David Leach. IMHO, Dave is one of the best photographers around.

It did not "cave in" but was filled in by someone(s)

Take care,

Joe

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI RR, that depends entirely how big an object and how deep you dug, and how long after. Soil expands after bein dug up so you can never replace it as it was before. When you level it off, after a bit of time, or a rain, it settles leaving a shallow depression e or dip in the surface. Many a treasure has been found because of this.

Here, the favorite location is often a corral. or a dry arroyo bottom. Very easy to hide this problem.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions