CLUES TO THE LOST DUTCMAN MINE

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Wayne,

I brought up the Pinto Creek story many years ago on The LDM Forum. Glad to see others are finally catching up.:laughing7:

Take care,

Joe

Joe I've learned one thing. When your finger points in a direction look that way. When you toss something out there most miss it. Not me!

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i'd like to add,that the person i know who was busted bringing out gold ore..was stopped near the junction of silver king-reavis ranch trail...with a truck load of gold ore...
perhaps there are more than one lost dutchman on that iron mountain.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remembered your hapless acquaintance when I was reading the messages about the cache, Donald.
I asked if he knew this person, but he said he didn't.
Maybe that person had found a cache as well. Both groups who worked the mine may have made several caches throughout the area, close to where they would load their mules for the trip out. I doubt the Anonymess group owned mules .....teachers, not packers or prospectors, nor would they have wanted the animals to attract attention while they were working.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Come on guys wake up. Your wallet has been lifted and your still clinging to Weavers Needle wondering where you lost it. I find this very interesting.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
As I recall, somewhere it is written that Waltz said something about the setting sun shining into the mouth/entrance of his mine:

Photo by Dave Leach

There are many such matches at the Pit Mine.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

I would suggest posting some of that evidence in the new thread, comparing the Pit mine to the LDM.

Sorry but no cigar from this quarter - lets see an ore comparison, for example? The many clues (over 100 at last count) are such a hodge-podge, and almost certainly do not all even apply to the same lost mine, matching up any set of clues is not that great of a case. I could show you an old mine that fits a string of clues too, and it is an old silver mine not the LDM. If it had a good pocket of ore remaining, I would have been tempted to try getting it but it is pretty well cleaned out.

Please do continue.
Oroblanco
:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Roy do we know 100% that the ore samples that are said to be from Waltz were and if they were from the LDM? He could have been saving ore for years from various locations. Remember never assume.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Sgtfda wrote
Roy do we know 100% that the ore samples that are said to be from Waltz were and if they were from the LDM? He could have been saving ore for years from various locations. Remember never assume.

No need to "assume" - just match an ore specimen from the Pit mine to the matchbox. If it matches, then we can call the matter settled and find other things to talk about or hunt for. We do not know where all the ore from Waltz's candle box ended up - only a few survive as far as I know, the matchbox however has the most visible ore showing and would be the easiest to make a comparison on. My bet is that it won't match. :dontknow:
AEmatchbox-of-Waltz-ore.jpg

Good luck and good hunting amigos, be careful around that old mine and don't fall into the danged thing. That won't do anyone any good.
Oroblanco

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone ever read Waltz filed on claims one mile north of Goldfield where the Black Queen is located?

Sgtfda

Why I was not aware of that, have you been withholding information during this investigation!
Once a Cop always a COP!
laughing7.gif

Wrmickel1

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever read Waltz filed on claims one mile north of Goldfield where the Black Queen is located?

Not me - I don't think I've heard that before. If you can find documented evidence of that, I think it might be something new.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Roy how do we know the matchbox ore came from the LDM?

Haven't we been over this before? The current owner got it via Dick Holmes, who stated it came from the candle box beneath Waltz's bed. Can you give me a good reason why we should disbelieve Holmes on this point, considering he spent so many years looking for the mine it came from? It is a rather unusual ore, and is the one piece of evidence we have, by which we can settle the question of whether a gold mine is the Lost Dutchman. Without it, and/or the other jewelry made from the ore, we are left with fitting up clues, and in that case I can say that I have found the Lost Dutchman and if anyone would like to pay me $500 per person I will hike up with you and show it to each paying customer. This mine will fit a string of clues, and produced millions $$$ in precious metals. That $500 has to be in cash of course, payable up front! :laughing7:

Sorry amigo but I am a stickler for the ore as the best possible way to settle the LDM question - and that Pit is not going to make the cut.

To try to tie this in to the subject - another one I like is the spring near the mine, and another farther away at a better camping spot. I have always thought that one is actually useful and helps winnow out some places. Of course a good many springs vanished or moved due to the big earthquake that hit AZ, but if the springs did not get wiped out or simply dry up, this could be useful.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
From True West Gold magazine vol1 no1 1969. A interesting story by George R Monagan. I've found True West stories to be very well done

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
From True West Gold magazine vol1 no1 1969. A interesting story by George R Monagan. I've found True West stories to be very well done

I don't think we have that one - if you have the time some evening I would sure love to read it, if you could scan and post it? It is legal (copyright) for we are doing it for discussion purposes not for profit, I think

Roy

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Haven't we been over this before? ...
Gosh, yes. If we agree that that piece of picture rock was in Waltz's possession at the time of his demise, it could have come from: 1) a mine that Waltz worked himself; 2) a cache of ore Waltz came into possession of; 3) high-graded ore obtained earlier in Waltz's life.

In any case, the ore was mined out of the ground, and that mine's location will remain unknown until acceptably matching ore from a known source is located. Presently, there is no such evidence, other than hearsay, that the ore originated in the Superstitions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions