Coarsegold Creek

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an A&P mechanic and work on a helicopter crew that drops water on forest fires. Recently our helicopter was called down to Southern California. We were then called to go up to Yosemite on a small fire in the park. When the A/C is moved from location to location I drive the support vehicle (service pod). To get to Yosemite I had to drive through Coarsegold, California. Coarsegold creek passes under 41 and I decided to take a break. I went down to the creek and took a look around. Nice bedrock there and it seemed as though most of the creek is just that--bedrock.

Anyone know much about this creek and how it got it's name?

Is this a good area that I should come back to when I have some time--I mean it sure looks like a nice area to find some unclaimed or open ground to pan, sluice, et. al.

Any info from you guys out there?

Stryker-one

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i live close to Coarsegold and the creek has been hunted to death.Most of the creek is on private property so be carefull.Color is still found but not much.About 1 to 2 miles past Coarsegold is a turnout that you can you can go down and pan the creek.Across from the turn out is another turnout where an old prospector lived in a bus.Legand has it he had 3 producing mines up on the hill behind him.You will know where you are when you see an artisian well on the left side of 41.Down the road is a guy that is setting up shop for tourists to pan for gold.Iam not sure but i think he is a member here on TNET.The name Coarsegold is what you will find but once in a while small nuggets are found after a good rain.Good Luck...aa

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
We pan in Coarsegold Creek sometimes. It's just down the road from us. I haven't found much but some of the other guys find nuggets from time to time. The area just north of the propane company where there is a wide spot to park is OK to pan in. Pretty much from the propane place north to the little bridge is open - the rest is private property.

OP
OP
stryker-one

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. We brought all our aircraft back to Corvallis and are now doing winter maintenance on them and will be out--I am sure--next fires season (next summer).

Have a good Christmas and a great oh eight.

Stryker

Scurvydog

Greenie
Dec 21, 2007
Like AA said that creek has been beat to death. I live about 30 miles from there. I would go to mariposa Creek to have some fun. It gets worked, but bigger pieces come out of it.
Scurvydog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread