Coarsegold Creek

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an A&P mechanic and work on a helicopter crew that drops water on forest fires. Recently our helicopter was called down to Southern California. We were then called to go up to Yosemite on a small fire in the park. When the A/C is moved from location to location I drive the support vehicle (service pod). To get to Yosemite I had to drive through Coarsegold, California. Coarsegold creek passes under 41 and I decided to take a break. I went down to the creek and took a look around. Nice bedrock there and it seemed as though most of the creek is just that--bedrock.

Anyone know much about this creek and how it got it's name?

Is this a good area that I should come back to when I have some time--I mean it sure looks like a nice area to find some unclaimed or open ground to pan, sluice, et. al.

Any info from you guys out there?

Stryker-one

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i live close to Coarsegold and the creek has been hunted to death.Most of the creek is on private property so be carefull.Color is still found but not much.About 1 to 2 miles past Coarsegold is a turnout that you can you can go down and pan the creek.Across from the turn out is another turnout where an old prospector lived in a bus.Legand has it he had 3 producing mines up on the hill behind him.You will know where you are when you see an artisian well on the left side of 41.Down the road is a guy that is setting up shop for tourists to pan for gold.Iam not sure but i think he is a member here on TNET.The name Coarsegold is what you will find but once in a while small nuggets are found after a good rain.Good Luck...aa

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
We pan in Coarsegold Creek sometimes. It's just down the road from us. I haven't found much but some of the other guys find nuggets from time to time. The area just north of the propane company where there is a wide spot to park is OK to pan in. Pretty much from the propane place north to the little bridge is open - the rest is private property.

OP
OP
stryker-one

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. We brought all our aircraft back to Corvallis and are now doing winter maintenance on them and will be out--I am sure--next fires season (next summer).

Have a good Christmas and a great oh eight.

Stryker

Scurvydog

Greenie
Dec 21, 2007
Like AA said that creek has been beat to death. I live about 30 miles from there. I would go to mariposa Creek to have some fun. It gets worked, but bigger pieces come out of it.
Scurvydog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions