OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
As the candle on his desk burns, he is BUSY studying TJ's Codes from the manuscripts left behind; and EAP & TJ left "clues" behind for us ALL. "Google" A FEW WORDS ON SECRET WRITING by Edgar A. Poe. Pay attention to the 1st paragraph... SECRET WRITING is KEY!
Edgar Allan Poe Society of Baltimore - Works - Essays - A Few Words on Secret Writing [Text-02]

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As the candle on his desk burns, he is BUSY studying TJ's Codes from the manuscripts left behind; and EAP & TJ left "clues" behind for us ALL. "Google" A FEW WORDS ON SECRET WRITING by Edgar A. Poe. Pay attention to the 1st paragraph... SECRET WRITING is KEY!

scytala?

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
my 2 cents, don't yell at me too loud. Out of all 3 cyphers, the one with the members "should" have been the easiest, IMO.
Then #2 (contents) and last #3 (Directions). The fact that #2 was first done/found makes me think it was all a hoax.
I did look into it when I was living in VA.(Waynesboro). And figured out that IF it is in the Blue Ridge National Park, you won't be able to get it out. The Park Rangers watch for Ginseng hunters. Found that out when I went walking off the road and a ranger came up to me. "Your not allowed to hike on a National Park." "National Park? Sorry thought it was National Forest. I'm gone, Sorry again." That's when he told me about the Ginseng harvesters. They arrest them.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the years, thee have been several claims of "solved" Beale ciphers.
What is curious, is that none of these "solved" ciphers contain the same solution, or even similar parts- they are all different.
It seems that those who approach "breaking the code" have preconceived ideas on what the ciphers contain, and pursue what they believe is there, and eventually arrived at that preconceived solution.
This also demonstrates that an actual true solution does not exist, with all the variations that have been presented over the last 130 years.
While some may refer to the Beale Papers as a hoax, the Beale Papers is presented as a play along adventure treasure novel, read the story, and try to "solve" the unsolved ciphers. A parlor entertainment that has grown into a treasure legend by way of the "Hart Papers", Innis's "GOLD IN THE BLUE RIDGE", and countless articles in treasure magazines.
And with the no true solution in 130 years, no collaborating evidence outside of the Beale Papers has ever been found to confirm the Beale story of the job pamphlet's text narrative.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Then from THE HART PAPERS:
"That Ward, by accident as he suggests succeeded in finding the key to Cipher No 2...created a suspicion that the story might have been made up instead of founded on fact".
Somewhere in my notes is an article about the Lynchburg descendants of Coles, Clay, and Witcher objecting to their ancestors names being used in a common dime novel...
The names referenced as guests of Robert Morriss in the Beale Papers:
Rev Charles Green Clay (12/24/1745- 02/08/1820)
Major William Witcher (1739-1803)
Col Issac Coles (03/02/1747-06/03/1813) *
* Most confuse his Albermarle county cousins Edward and Issac Coles as being referenced in this section of Beale Papers.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
my 2 cents, don't yell at me too loud. Out of all 3 cyphers, the one with the members "should" have been the easiest, IMO.
Then #2 (contents) and last #3 (Directions). The fact that #2 was first done/found makes me think it was all a hoax.
I did look into it when I was living in VA.(Waynesboro). And figured out that IF it is in the Blue Ridge National Park, you won't be able to get it out. The Park Rangers watch for Ginseng hunters. Found that out when I went walking off the road and a ranger came up to me. "Your not allowed to hike on a National Park." "National Park? Sorry thought it was National Forest. I'm gone, Sorry again." That's when he told me about the Ginseng harvesters. They arrest them.
Well, it is the Shenandoah National Park (aka Skyland Drive)... Wife & I are gonna stay in a CABIN, at Skyland Resort... mosey over to Big Meadows, to "deer-watch", hike some trails, go on up SNP to Front Royal; come back & go down to the "Flat-Lands", visiting Luray, Va. in my "home county" of PAGE. LOTS of buried treasures in Page Valley, Shenandoah Valley... MOSTLY German-related with rock carvings in German; I know only a small bit of the German language, tho. HA! Skyland Resort CABIN is for 4 days, 3 nights... NO TV, phone... GREAT! We have a "Cell" phone, and will take a battery-operated radio... AND! She is addicted to her Lap-Top... heh.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
BTW, the LARGEST German-related buried treasure was stated to be near Elkton, Va. (Rockingham County); closer to Keezletown. PROBABLY... in the BIG cave, on the WESTERN side of "Peaked Mountain" (aka Massenutten Mountain - Ski Resort "COUNTRY"). The cave was once open to the public... not anymore. Went in it, when I was @ 8... NICE! It was part of the old Massenutten Lodge! Civil War artifacts on display, all over the place... I was in HEAVEN! HA!

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
From Waynesboro south it is the Blue Ridge Parkway and turns into National Park. Going North it is National Forest. I think I told this one before, but I'll tell it again. I spoke to both of the "boys" while I was living in Waynesboro, both in their mid 40's when they talked to me. When they were young (8-10), they were out hiking and playing in the countryside and skipping rocks across the river. ("Boy stuff") They came up to the remains of an old house, just the chimney remained. They found a loose rock on it and pulled it out. There was a leather sack behind it. They took it and looked in side and saw some "yellow" coins. They took one to their Uncle and asked him if it was real money. "No" So they used them as "Skipping Stones and throwing at birds, until they discovered that because they were the size of quarters, they could use then to buy cigarettes from the vending machine just outside the general store. They cost a quarter and you got a penny taped to the pack of smokes when it came out. They had to "wet them first" and the spin them to make them work. After a while the store owner came out and yelled at them for doing that. So they run off and when they came back to try again later, he never bothered them. They used up all the coins from the sack that summer. I sometimes thought about going down the river in the late summer when the water was only inches deep with a metal detector for the ones they skipped across the river, but never did. All because I told them about my going looking in AZ. for old lost mines, ect. There are more stories out there that never make it into books and can only be heard first to second hand. I know because my brother and I keep getting distracted from looking for the one Jesuit mine that we started looking for in the beginning by all the other stories that we kept getting told about.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
What is curious, is that none of these "solved" ciphers contain the same solution, or even similar parts- they are all different.
It seems that those who approach "breaking the code" have preconceived ideas on what the ciphers contain, and pursue what they believe is there, and eventually arrived at that preconceived solution.
This also demonstrates that an actual true solution does not exist, with all the variations that have been presented over the last 130 years.
While some may refer to the Beale Papers as a hoax, the Beale Papers is presented as a play along adventure treasure novel, read the story, and try to "solve" the unsolved ciphers. A parlor entertainment that has grown into a treasure legend by way of the "Hart Papers", Innis's "GOLD IN THE BLUE RIDGE", and countless articles in treasure magazines.
And with the no true solution in 130 years, no collaborating evidence outside of the Beale Papers has ever been found to confirm the Beale story of the job pamphlet's text narrative.

The truth comes out, several claims ! Not Thousands eh ?
Simple Definition of several

1. more than two but not very many

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

The one reason that no one person has the same decoded ciphers is because they are just selling books, they have the idea that no one will ever prove them wrong . Well they thought wrong ! I can understand how it is people think they whole thing to be a hoax, its just the easy way out for a code breaker to say ( its not real ) then they can keep there job as a cryptologist without looking BAD !

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one reason that no one person has the same decoded ciphers is because they are just selling books, they have the idea that no one will ever prove them wrong . Well they thought wrong ! I can understand how it is people think they whole thing to be a hoax, its just the easy way out for a code breaker to say ( its not real ) then they can keep there job as a cryptologist without looking BAD !

You said you broke the Beale Cipher Codes two years ago and you said you were going to keep your job. What's with that?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 1960's, Carl Hammer of SPERRY UNIVAC using a supercomputer, concluded that C1 & C3 have statistical characteristics that are not actually encryptions of an English plaintext, and are NOT WORDS IN ENGLISH.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 1960's, Carl Hammer of SPERRY UNIVAC using a supercomputer, concluded that C1 & C3 have statistical characteristics that are not actually encryptions of an English plaintext, and are NOT WORDS IN ENGLISH.

Problem is that Carl Hammer's supper computer in 1960 was equal to a calculator of the 1980's . And he was not too bright, but for the time his supper duper computer was the best there was .

60s-computer-o.gif

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Problem is that Carl Hammer's supper computer in 1960 was equal to a calculator of the 1980's . And he was not too bright, but for the time his supper duper computer was the best there was .

View attachment 1315959

The first supercomputer, the Control Data Corporation (CDC) 6600, only had a single CPU. Released in 1964, the CDC 6600 was actually fairly small — about the size of four filing cabinets. It cost $8 million — around $60 million in today’s money — and operated at up to 40MHz, squeezing out a peak performance of 3 million floating point operations per second (flops).

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
O

Old Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread