Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
When Poe was a student at Mr. Jefferson's University, he PROBABLY studied the VARIOUS Codes of Thomas Jefferson... I can indicate where I found info on those codes for ALL. Alderman Library at UVA has the TJ's Books/Papers, in the basement... I was in there, MANY times (LOVE the scent of old books & papers). LOVE stacks BABY! Heh! :laughing7:
EAP started UVA on 02/14/1826; TJ was one of 2 men, who recommended EAP to study & enroll; TJ died on 7/04/1826, For MORE info on TJ's Codes & Ciphers, "Google" Thomas Jefferson's Codes & Ciphers: I (1783-1789), Thomas Jefferson's Codes & Ciphers: II (1790-1803), Thomas Jefferson's Codes & Ciphers: III (Miscellaneous); HH! Good Luck!

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It was an interesting sidebar to the discussion, and was quite informative.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
End the arguing..

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Do you suppose these people have to be right just because they are code breakers or doctors? There are other code breakers who say they believe the Beale story is true. Does that make it true? No, it doesn't, just like the opinions of those you cite doesn't make it false.
While on the subject of computer cipher analysis, lets take a gander at what the lads with the modern super computers have to relate concerning the Beale Papers:
https://www.nsa.gov/news-features/declassified-documents/beale-papers/index.shtml

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
There are conflicting opinions, all from "professionals." Go ahead and SELECT the one's you like best.

If they can't decode it it must be not real, LOL

I just think that they had made up there minds it was a hoax before they even tried .

O

Old Silver

If they can't decode it it must be not real, LOL

I just think that they had made up there minds it was a hoax before they even tried .

What else can "professional" code breakers claim when they fail to break a code.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...or as many professionals have stated, C1 & C3 are not real valid ciphers, and those who claim a solution, reach their "solve" by preconceived expectations- which explains why all the claimed "solves" are different.

O

Old Silver

...or as many professionals have stated, C1 & C3 are not real valid ciphers, and those who claim a solution, reach their "solve" by preconceived expectations- which explains why all the claimed "solves" are different.

But what you're ignoring is that there is something else different. That would be opinion from professional. You cite many, but you ignore others. If all professionals are right, simply because they are professionals, then they would all agree.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Name all the claimed ciphers solutions that you have seen, I bet you can't !

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It is interesting that some on this thread consider our country's first line of intelligence defense, the super computers and those who analyze codes and ciphers in different languages of the NSA inadequate to "solve" the C1 & C3 Beale codes from an 1885 adventure treasure dime novel.
In the last 130 years NO conclusive evidence has ever been found or presented that can prove anything in the Beale Papers text narrative ever occurred.
If the Beale expedition and the other events related in the 1885 job pamphlet never happened, then the DOI "solved" C2 was provided as a lure for the unwary reader to buy into the story ad play along, while C1 & C3 contain no real message, as many professional codebreakers in the intelligence field have maintained.
To discount the efforts of the NSA supercomputers and analysts because their determination concerning the Beale ciphers doesn't match one's preconceived version, is pure hubris on their part.

O

Old Silver

It is interesting that some on this thread consider our country's first line of intelligence defense, the super computers and those who analyze codes and ciphers in different languages of the NSA inadequate to "solve" the C1 & C3 Beale codes from an 1885 adventure treasure dime novel.
In the last 130 years NO conclusive evidence has ever been found or presented that can prove anything in the Beale Papers text narrative ever occurred.
If the Beale expedition and the other events related in the 1885 job pamphlet never happened, then the DOI "solved" C2 was provided as a lure for the unwary reader to buy into the story ad play along, while C1 & C3 contain no real message, as many professional codebreakers in the intelligence field have maintained.
To discount the efforts of the NSA supercomputers and analysts because their determination concerning the Beale ciphers doesn't match one's preconceived version, is pure hubris on their part.

I'm not the one who said they couldn't crack the code. THEY are the one's who have made that determination.
So what about those same type of intelligent people who DO believe that the Beale codes hold some sort of message? How do you reconcile the two? Are the ones who believe in the codes less intelligent than the ones who don't? I will agree that To discount the efforts, EITHER WAY, of the NSA supercomputers and analysts because their determination concerning the Beale ciphers doesn't match one's preconceived version, is pure hubris on their part. That includes us all, ECS. But you are one way and that all it can possibly be, right?

As for NOTHING in the Beale papers being true, that's just plain wrong.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Notice I wrote "intelligence field" not intelligent people.
The NSA's position is there is no valid message in C1 & C3, not that they couldn't "crack it".
What in the BEALE PAPERS has been proven true that is related directly to the Beale story?

O

Old Silver

Notice I wrote "intelligence field" not intelligent people.
The NSA's position is there is no valid message in C1 & C3, not that they couldn't "crack it".
What in the BEALE PAPERS has been proven true that is related directly to the Beale story?

They are all in the same field. But you separate them into those who believe in the Beale Papers, and those who don't. How do you reconcile this?

There is much truth in the Beale papers. That doesn't mean the treasure is real, but a lot of things in there are true, like the characters, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread