Coil Covers

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil covers don't affect the operation of the detector at all. They do however protect the coil from being wore off on the edges of from scratches. Coils are expensive for what they are, but necessary to save the coil. It also gives the detector more value to a second buyer if you ever want to sell it. Some have opt to coat the coil with epoxy to save the coil but this voids the warranty. At least with epoxy you don't have to remove the cover once in a while to clean out the dirt which affacts the ground balance.

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes and some people put a layer of low stick rtv goo on the coil cover before they put the cover on the detector. In the hope that it will help keep out the moisture and dirt that seems to some how accumulate in there anyhow. I must admit i have thought about Rtv goo myself but have not done that yet.
I just pop the covers off.
Oh if your out in the rain and, get moisture in between the "coil" and its "coil cover" it goes absolutely nuts, falsing constantly!!
You then, have to just pop the cover and wipe it down,, or get another detector out :)
$20 its good peace of mind :)
Good hunting..

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil covers don't affect the operation of the detector at all.......
remove the cover once in a while to clean out the dirt which affacts the ground balance.
Sandman, it don't take much......:laughing7: but,
Now I'm confused. :tard:

I'm working with Excall, that coil cover is a pain in the...... I'm always worried i'm going to break it, and did crack one. I've had mine marine siliconed on, it does keep the sand out (change it out every 6-9 months or so).

When that sand gets in there it seems to throw off bad signals. Is that me or the machine? Or what machine you refering to? You talking about underwater or on land?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use a coil cover. It does NOT affect performance or depth, but it does stop this from happening..

Attachments

• vvv 001.jpg
    vvv 001.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 712

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pat-trekker-cat, getting dirt in any coil cover, land units or water it gives off false signals. Black sand is the worst which gets in the covers of water detectors more often. I tried the silicone treatment to the edges of the cover and that doesn't work as sand still got inside. The same with epoxy on the gaps of the covers, it only gives a false sense of security and when the false signals start you think it is major problems with the detector instead of just the dirt inside the cover. Actually plastic duct tape on the coil works well and dresses the expensive detector down where it isn't such a treasure to a thief. But you still have to watch so the tape doesn't pick up black sand.

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting comments there everyone. Think I will refrain from silicone blobbing my coil cover then :) and just keep an old towel in the boot :). Thanks everyone :)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have been detecting since the 60's. I have never used a coil cover and I have never had a coil problem. I have found just about everything that can be found with a detector. My theory is that you pay a bundle for your equipment so you take care of it. I hunt with my coil about 1" above the ground and I watch where I swing it. I left my reckless kid style behind years ago. It's like the new option on cars. They can park themselves. I never had any trouble parking on the first shot so I will not buy that option. I guess it all boils down to how skilled you are operating your detector. Frank

Attachments

• rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run covers on all my detectors so I can lay the coil right on the ground to get the most penetration possible. I'm also hunting in the weeds and rocks so it helps on the wear and tear. If your style is like mine where you're constantly scrubbing the coil on the ground, you best get a cover. If your style is like Frankn's, you probably don't.....but it won't hurt anything to have one. Like mentioned, just tape it on if it won't snap on and stay by itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread