DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys!

I recently purchased a very nice Tom tuned CZ-3D, and have been trying to upgrade my gear for it since the ground is frozen solid here in the frozen tundra until late March/early April typically.

I'm having an issue getting anything other than the stock 8" coil to work right with my lower stem.

I recently bought the 5" coil/10.5" coil/new coil hardware/2 new lower stems/new coil covers for the 5" & 10.5". Here are my issues:

The 5" - I bought a 5" coil cover, and it doesn't fit on the coil. I measures both with calipers - the ID on the cover is 4.835", the OD on the coil is 4.985". I have tried soaking the cover in warm water then putting it on, but theres no way it will fit. Is there more than 1 type of coil cover for Fisher 5" coils??

The 10.5" coil - the measurement between the ears measures .795. The lower stem w/ both washers attached measures .755. I can tighten the coil hardware down to the max and the lower stem still flops around like a dead fish and is unusable. (This may be because the 10.5" coil ears have next to no flex due to the thickness of the ears) The only workaround ive found is to make a plastic shim out of folded over freezer bag plastic/tape it/and put a hole thru the middle, then put that between one of the washers and ear. Is this a common issue with Fisher lower stems/hardware/ears not matching up?

I think I could fix the hardware/ear issue if I had thicker washers, but it seems Fisher uses custom ones for their hardware. Im measuring the washer at .850 OD .400 ID .150 thick - if I had .170 thick I think I could make this work. Anyone know where to get these w/o having to pay $25+ and ordering 500 min from a rubber washer distributor?

Ultimately, i'm frustrated with having to deal with this. I've owned several different detectors from several different manufacturers, and cant believe i'm having these issues with my first Fisher. Is there a difference between Los Banos lower rod/coil dimensions versus the El Paso units? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys!

I recently purchased a very nice Tom tuned CZ-3D, and have been trying to upgrade my gear for it since the ground is frozen solid here in the frozen tundra until late March/early April typically.

I'm having an issue getting anything other than the stock 8" coil to work right with my lower stem.

I recently bought the 5" coil/10.5" coil/new coil hardware/2 new lower stems/new coil covers for the 5" & 10.5". Here are my issues:

The 5" - I bought a 5" coil cover, and it doesn't fit on the coil. I measures both with calipers - the ID on the cover is 4.835", the OD on the coil is 4.985". I have tried soaking the cover in warm water then putting it on, but theres no way it will fit. Is there more than 1 type of coil cover for Fisher 5" coils??

The 10.5" coil - the measurement between the ears measures .795. The lower stem w/ both washers attached measures .755. I can tighten the coil hardware down to the max and the lower stem still flops around like a dead fish and is unusable. (This may be because the 10.5" coil ears have next to no flex due to the thickness of the ears) The only workaround ive found is to make a plastic shim out of folded over freezer bag plastic/tape it/and put a hole thru the middle, then put that between one of the washers and ear. Is this a common issue with Fisher lower stems/hardware/ears not matching up?

I think I could fix the hardware/ear issue if I had thicker washers, but it seems Fisher uses custom ones for their hardware. Im measuring the washer at .850 OD .400 ID .150 thick - if I had .170 thick I think I could make this work. Anyone know where to get these w/o having to pay $25+ and ordering 500 min from a rubber washer distributor?

Ultimately, i'm frustrated with having to deal with this. I've owned several different detectors from several different manufacturers, and cant believe i'm having these issues with my first Fisher. Is there a difference between Los Banos lower rod/coil dimensions versus the El Paso units? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

You may be able to make your own washers. Get the right thickness non metallic rubber/plastic and place between two pieces of plywood and clamp tightly. Then take a hole saw for the O/A diameter and drill part way through the top plywood. Then take a smaller hole saw for the inside diameter and cut through the top plywood and the rubber/plastic and only a little of the bottom plywood. Then finish up by going back with the larger hole saw and cut through the rubber plastic. Bingo, you just saved some money.
Plastic can be obtained from bucket bottoms or lids.
Marvin
P.S. From what I read you will really enjoy the CZ.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread