Coil Mounting Screw

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
I'd like to say hello to everyone. I've been lurking for several weeks and really enjoy this forum. Yesterday I got a Fisher CZ-7a Quicksilver at a very reasonable price. Unfortunately it doesn't have the manual and it's missing the plastic coil mounting screw. Right now it has a pencil holding the coil on the end of the pole. The detector was owned by someone in the family who only used it a few times and then stored it away. So it's in great shape. But he lost the mounting screw. Does anyone know where I can find a mounting bolt/screw and wing nut for the coil? I'm thinking of going to Lowes to find a plastic screw. Also, does anyone have the manual? If so, can you scan it and send it to me at [email protected]? I'd really appreciate it. Right now we've got snow, ice and freezing temperatures here in Ohio. As soon as we get a milder day, I'm going to get out and see what I can find. Oh, I'm relatively new to metal detecting. Back in the 80's I had a Garrett Groundhog and a White's 5000D. Found a lot of coins with them and some jewelry. That's what I'm primarily interested in. I haven't detected since about 1985. I don't know how my Fisher CZ-7a compares to the modern detectors. But it's all I've got for now. Thanks. Dan

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you go into ..fisher labs.. they have the manual for the CZ-7a pro there you can print up.............. I get my nylon bolts & nuts at Lowes & Home Depot for the coil............

OP
OP
G

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
Jim_K said:
If you go into ..fisher labs.. they have the manual for the CZ-7a pro there you can print up.............. I get my nylon bolts & nuts at Lowes & Home Depot for the coil............
Thanks, Jim! I just printed it up.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowes is where I get all my plastic bolts...

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Just a side note, (it depends on the size of the hole you need to put the plastic bolt and nut through) but the screw and nut set on most toilet seats these days are plastic :o you could just 'borrow' one. :wink:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Borrow a screw from the toilet seat??? :icon_scratch: Evidently you never fell on the floor from a toilet seat that came off. If you can't find the proper size bolt and wing nut you can always contact the factory and tell them you problem. They usually send these out for free. At least Garrett, Whites, Tesoro and Minelab do.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
contrary to popular belief you can also use a metal nut and bolt for this...
with no affect on the detector and its funcionality..

does anyone know why this is true ?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:

It's not true.

While you may not notice it, your detector does. It will cause your signal to degrade, just like detecting in very mineralized ground or at a saltwater beach. Trust me, you might be missing a lot of targets due to it.

nylon nuts and bolts are very cheap.

Best-Mike

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to the local hardware store
go to the teflon screw and nuts/wings etc
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Lowes or Home Depot ...

In the specialty bolt & nut section ...

~ Nick ~
find the size :wink:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! :thumbsup:

Your Cz machine will be just fine. 90% of detecting is figuring out the best place to take your machine anyhow. I make most of my finds with a 1266-X. Still.

When I lost the wing nut for mine in the woods, we rigged some of those adjustable plastic ties that you can tighten down and cut the extra off. I have two of them still holding the coil on. Haven't seen any need to change since they're working out so well.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Make sure the plastic bolt fits snug (not tight) and use thin rubber washers between the coil ears and shaft. They will protect the coil ears from breaking and cracking and make adjustments to the coil plane easier.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gollum said:
TORRERO said:

It's not true.

While you may not notice it, your detector does. It will cause your signal to degrade, just like detecting in very mineralized ground or at a saltwater beach. Trust me, you might be missing a lot of targets due to it.

nylon nuts and bolts are very cheap.

Best-Mike

Well it might not work for a "pulse induction" machine but for a "motion detector" type of machine it really does not affect it.
Simply because a piece of metal must be "Moving" in relation to the coil to be seen, because the bolt moves with the coil
it does not cause a change in the magnetic field of the coil.
I don't know about now, but Tesoro used to use a metal screw to hold their coils on.
I use to ask the same question back in the day...
But that is what they said and I believe it....
because I found a lot of deep stuff with my old Tesoros

OP
OP
G

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
Today I went to Lowes and bought a 1/4" nylon bolt, washers and wing nut. The coil is on securely and the detector is now ready for hunting. Here are some air depth results:

Penny: 8 inches
Nickel: 8 inches
Dime: 7 inches
Quarter: 9 inches
Half Dollar: 10 inches

I figure soil conditions will cause those numbers to vary some. Is there a new search coil I could put on this detector to get more depth? I'm not an expert but the double-D coils seem to be popular.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread