Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself would go with a small coil.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Either can work. For soybeans and corn, our most heavily planted row crops around here, I like a 10" coil for working the rows. But sometimes I'll use the 6" size when there are excessive weeds present.

Standing crops can be worked with a smaller coil better. So there is that.

Another option is to use a very large coil, say 15" or larger, then sweep above the stubble.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest 8" - 10" coils. :occasion14:

OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI, Thank you for the advice everyone its much appreciated ��

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time the coil that came "stock" on your detector is all you need.
Of course there are exceptions, the small "hockey pucks" are great for really noisy areas, I have used one for a total of five minutes. I thought it looked ridiculous down there, so I switched back. Honestly now that I think about it I think that a couple of good sites (sites that actually produced something worthwhile) that are quite heavy with iron, the small coil could be a great help. And frankly I do intend to go back to some of my good sites and do a search with one of those small coils.

Will report when I do.

Good luck out there.

Rick

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually that question is asked when someone is trying to get more depth. The accepted answer is,, larger coil,, more depth. When working a site that is heavy in trash, a smaller coil can effectively separate good targets from trash targets.
With scanning soil that has been turned over, hopefully the deep targets have been brought closer to the surface, it would be easier to work a smaller coil because it is lighter and easier to move around.
IMHO

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi, just to let yous know ive been out today on the maze fields with the small 7"x11" coil, it was fantastic, it really picked out the good signals and still dug targets up to 10" no problem. i found a Julius Caesar silver denarius, Edward 1st hammered penny, Elizabeth 1st ? hammered coin its about 12mm its tiny, loads of lead and coke for some strange reason, you can usually tell the different tones but i think with all the rain we've had it's giving really strong signals. either way i dont mind when you have a day like that. i will be going back in a couple of days so i might try out the big coil as well just to see the difference in performance. I'll let yous know how i get on.ill post some pics of my finds when i get them cleaned up a bit. thanks everyone��

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread