Coin cleaning sugestions

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug what I believe is an IHP today and it is so crusty I can't make out the features or any date. What can be done to try to get some of the features and the date. Toothbrush and soap and water didn't do much good. Its in such bad shape I don't think it can be hurt by any cleaning method. Any ideas for cleaning the crud off? It is really green and the same diameter as a Lincoln, but the thickness is greater than a Lincoln.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Electolysis, just don't do it too long. The 1st one I dug was so crusty I could hardly tell it was an IHP. it had up to 1/8" green crud on most of the coin. Or if you're not worried about it, you could use a copper brush. I've often toyed with the idea of using my 1800 psi power washer on future crusty coins.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug what I believe is an IHP today and it is so crusty I can't make out the features or any date. What can be done to try to get some of the features and the date. Toothbrush and soap and water didn't do much good. Its in such bad shape I don't think it can be hurt by any cleaning method. Any ideas for cleaning the crud off? It is really green and the same diameter as a Lincoln, but the thickness is greater than a Lincoln.

Unfortunately the crud is probably whats holding it together:laughing9:I found one in a small park one time.it was hit with fertilizer so many times that after i hit it with electrolysis fragments of the IN started coming off.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may give the brush a try and see what happens, then try electrolysis if the brush doesn't work. Thanks for the input.
Electolysis, just don't do it too long. The 1st one I dug was so crusty I could hardly tell it was an IHP. it had up to 1/8" green crud on most of the coin. Or if you're not worried about it, you could use a copper brush. I've often toyed with the idea of using my 1800 psi power washer on future crusty coins.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pick it with a toothpick to try to date it and then maybe leave it as is.....

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe someone will chime in on this, there has been some talk of placing coins in some sort of oil for a period of time. I also saw someone soaking a rusty piece of metal in lemon juice, and it worked. What are some good techniqs for us newbies to use.

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My indianhead pennies I usually put a little hydrogen peroxide in a Styrofoam cupand microwave for about 30 seconds,then put penny in and let it soak about 15 minutes. Then rinse with water and a toothbrush. Repeat if necessary. Then apply a small amount of Vaseline. Makes them shine. Or soak them in olive oil a couple days. Both work good. Peroxide makes mine turn black. Olive oil doesn't. Hope this helps you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Try todd lipe's advice. I also use ammonia for copper coins like wheaties and IH's. But you gotta be careful that you don't over-do it . It can leave the coin with a burnished brazen (ie.: shiny copper) appearance with too much ammonia soaks/wipes.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Try todd lipe's advice. I also use ammonia for copper coins like wheaties and IH's. But you gotta be careful that you don't over-do it . It can leave the coin with a burnished brazen (ie.: shiny copper) appearance with too much ammonia soaks/wipes.

Don't put Styrofoam in the microwave. Use a glass container! You can see the coin bubbling through the glass. If anything will clean the coin, that will do it. Best of luck, and show us the results when completed. Congrats on the IHC!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were some posts on these boards a few years back about using a potato. You cut a slice, stuff the penny in and leave it for a few weeks. Never tried it myself though.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an IHP almost in the same shape and followed the same instruction that Todd Lipe gave you it came out really good considering how bad it was. I did not use a styro foam cup.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried peroxide, but didn't try heating it first. I will try that method. Thanks.
My indianhead pennies I usually put a little hydrogen peroxide in a Styrofoam cupand microwave for about 30 seconds,then put penny in and let it soak about 15 minutes. Then rinse with water and a toothbrush. Repeat if necessary. Then apply a small amount of Vaseline. Makes them shine. Or soak them in olive oil a couple days. Both work good. Peroxide makes mine turn black. Olive oil doesn't. Hope this helps you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have tried peroxide, but didn't try heating it first. I will try that method. Thanks.

You put a few table-spoons full in a little glass petri dish. Bring it to a boil in the microwave oven (20 or 30 seconds). Remove petri dish from microwave, and drop coin in.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i watched a vid for cleaning with ketchup, seems to work, see imgs
pennies from my patio
check how to
Super Secret Trick for Cleaning Brass and Copper
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJPlbr94UO9Mo_LNsdf5f7w

b4
Screenshot 2015-09-18 at 12.25.41 AM.png

after
IMG_20150918_003658.jpg

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried the advice on here myself, the Hydrogen peroxide didn't get it clean enough after 5 or 6 tries so I set up my own electolysis and that did the trick. The key is to check it often. Personally I prefer the electrolysis for really bad IH's and wheats, I have been able to get dates off them all without killing the coin.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you give some specs on how to use electrolysis. Voltage and what solution
I tried the advice on here myself, the Hydrogen peroxide didn't get it clean enough after 5 or 6 tries so I set up my own electolysis and that did the trick. The key is to check it often. Personally I prefer the electrolysis for really bad IH's and wheats, I have been able to get dates off them all without killing the coin.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use an adapter from I no longer know what the heck it went to and just do this basic setup...Building and using homemade electrolysis

Works great for the smaller items...DON'T try anything big, for that you would need a larger setup. Just google: homemade electrolysis.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread