Please fill in your holes....

flashyace

Sep 26, 2013
southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I have been talking with my neighbor a few houses away. I ended up meeting him after I stopped by to inquire about a car. Anyway I went over to his house last evening to ask if I could do some detecting around his 2nd home which he lives behind. After some research and some stories that he has told me (one of which included a ruby and diamond ring that the previous owner of the house lost). His house was built around 1870 it was also built by a french man who was quit rich. After getting permission to hunt he stated to me that there as been another fellow that came by and some hunting a few months prior. He told me that he didnt find much and wasnt there long, A few wheat cents at best. Well the owner of the property told me of few places to check so I will when I get more time. But back to the other guy......
I thought out of general respect for property owners that one would fill in your holes after digging... I spent much of my time filling in the holes from the other "gentleman" that I did not get to look a lot. :BangHead:

My mission Find that RING*******

I am still green at this so any hints or "rules" that you think would be helpful please let me know...

Thanks and good day

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit a property one weekend and when I went back the following weekend. I noticed that some of the plugs I had dug were out of the holes. There are many squirrels in the neighborhood and the homeowner feeds them. They opened up 3 to 4 of my holes. I am in agreeance with you about putting plugs back, but some animals do pull plugs out. Just saying...

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on what sounds like a wonderful place to hunt. looking forward to seeing your finds.

Meucci

Aug 8, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned this as a Land Surveyor digging for property markers. Please fill your holes back up.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a property one weekend and when I went back the following weekend. I noticed that some of the plugs I had dug were out of the holes. There are many squirrels in the neighborhood and the homeowner feeds them. They opened up 3 to 4 of my holes. I am in agreeance with you about putting plugs back, but some animals do pull plugs out. Just saying...

Skunks will also do this. Have caught them in the act. We hunt mostly in the rural part of the county and this can be a problem. I always fix them but don't know how to stop it. It's not a big problem but it only takes one hole to p..s off a land owner.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is why I dig the deepest biggest plugs I can. Same thing happened to me in the beginning.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dig wide and deep and keep the walls of the plug at 90 degrees or the skunks, or racoons, squirrels will mess with the plug. If you come across a grub throw the sucker out of the hole, free lunch for the critter and they won't be digging out the plugs. Watched out the window one day at the skunk going over to each plug that I had dug, sniffed and then at one started to dig it back out till it got lunch. So the next day when I came across the grub I tossed it away from the hole and sure enough a couple hours later here came the skunk and it passed the plug holes that had a grub in them and didn't dig them out, just sniffed around till it found the free lunch.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok Ok ... enough about plugs and animals....
Lets get to the reason you are there...the RING.

Practice as much as you can with discrimination, focus on mid-range tones, such as pull tabs and nickels.

I am not sure if your machine has a target depth gage, so it would be tough not to dig all targets.

Your refer to yourself as "green" to the hobby... do you have a pro-pointer of some type?

If you don't find the ring, stay in the good graces of the owner, and follow up in the future. Should you upgrade to a deeper or more versatile machine, go back...you may find it, along with other surprises you may leave behind.

Good Luck.. and HH!!

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And if you come across someone detecting and not filling in the their holes? , be kind and fill the holes yourself.....with the first guy at the bottom of the hole...:laughing9:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dig plugs in grass, period. I am old school an probe with a bayonet or screw driver to hopefully lodge the blade in a pull tab or ring. It's faster than cutting plugs and I use a Garrett carrot if I do. Dirt removed from plugs are placed on a plastic sheet for placing back in the hole. I knew a hunter that sprayed his holes with dish soap to keep animals from digging up plugs.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't dig plugs in grass, period. I am old school an probe with a bayonet or screw driver to hopefully lodge the blade in a pull tab or ring. It's faster than cutting plugs and I use a Garrett carrot if I do. Dirt removed from plugs are placed on a plastic sheet for placing back in the hole. I knew a hunter that sprayed his holes with dish soap to keep animals from digging up plugs.

Works for clad hunting within a few inches, but it's not an option for the 6-10" deep finds. I did the screwdriver recovery for 20+ yrs, then the big hunting knife, then the Leache I think I'm looking at the doing the next version of diggers, the shovel recovery for the urban spaces.:p

OP
OP
F

flashyace

Sep 26, 2013
southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Yes, while I was detecting I came across his holes and filled them in, no pro pointer, I'm looking at upgrading my detector now that I have had this for a couple of years, just not sure what I'm going with,,,,,, That RING has to be there somewhere!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, while I was detecting I came across his holes and filled them in, no pro pointer, I'm looking at upgrading my detector now that I have had this for a couple of years, just not sure what I'm going with,,,,,, That RING has to be there somewhere!!!!!!
Make sure your not Disc pull tabs.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said there was someone else that detected the yard and he said he only found a couple wheats. If you don't find the ring I bet a $100 that he found it and not saying that he did. He found that ring and figure why tell it was lost and it is his now. Good luck hope you find lots of goodies......Matt

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'm old school, too, but young enough to learn the new tricks of the trade. A pinpointer is a must. Probing for your target is a waste of swinging time. Why waste time trying to hit the edge of a slim gold ring with a probe when you can stick a pinpointer in there, grab the ring and up and swinging again within seconds. Also, you are loosening up the "root ball" that you are going to cut a plug in with all those timely probe holes and that could make your hole fix not so nice. Plus, that's a nice gold ring you have. Too bad you damaged it hitting it with your probe...

On plugs, Any of you guys ever try digging the smallest plug possible and only cut it 2/3rd's of the way around, "hinge" the plug out, grab the goodie and hinge the plug back in? This is my preferred method in nice sod.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's easy to jump to conclusions and I'm not saying the guy didn't do what you said, but it was more likely an animal.

A neighbor of ours lets his very large dogs run loose at least once per day and at times they end up on on the portion of our farm that isn't fenced. Many times I've returned a few days after detecting to find my holes dug out like a gopher had been working there. Some of the holes are quite large and deep. Dry soil seems to contribute to the problem. I think his dogs are following my scent around the field from hole to hole. I've asked him to keep them off our farm, but he just kind blows it off saying that's their fun time and that they don't hurt nothing. This coming from an educated man with a professional career. Neighbors...sheesh.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Them there dogs ain't hurtin nuthin!
I feel your pain....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hired to locate rings at the beach or in someone's yard. It is disappointing to learn that someone else hunted the area before. Naturally I think they found it and didn't report it to the owner. I've also figured the person that lost it has the wrong area. Maybe they took if off before hand and forgot. I had one woman call me to tell me she found her ring in her purse, but how many don't tell you they found it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread