Coin collector or silver bug?

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it all for the silver. I prefer dimes. Almost every box I get has at least one. Plus if you live within walking distance of a bank it's pretty much a free hobby. One 10 cent silver dime equals about 2 bucks. By far the cheapest price for silver.

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do you search rolls? Are you a collector or do you look for a profit in the silver? Also what do you enjoy to search most?

All of the above for me! I'm not looking to make a profit off of silver...there is just something about having stacks of it that I love! Especially each time I can fill up another roll!

I also like putting together sets of each coin...most recently I found my final (as of now) national park quarter which means I have now found every Washington quarter since 1932 in circulation (all mints)!!!! One of my favorite sets I have ever put together...it took me about 25+ years and a whole lot of luck!!!!

It's the thrill of the hunt that keeps me coming back for more!!!!

OP
OP
Kilerclown25

Kilerclown25

Mar 27, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I am alot of both of them. I collect all kinds of US coins but I love to collect the silver ones the most. So I considered myself a collector but I sure pull and save all silver I find though. Haha

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a treasure hunter at heart. This is one way to keep chasing the dream!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Kilerclown25

Kilerclown25

Mar 27, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Like I said I'm a collector but I like silver, well my buddy Robb aid he hates when people only look at coins for silver cause it takes the fun out if collecting. That is why its good I'm both, I'm not hated by anyone. Lol

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I do cents because I love wheats Indians and errors. Plus I sell the copper for profit. I go through and buy dimes whenever I go to bank to pick up my cent orders.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver and only silver.......................Any way I can get it.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It started as just for the silver, but now Im putting books together..

One day we'll see $100 oz.. :-)

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do it for the investment. I have collected coins for a long time and was told there was no silver, I'm not a huge fan of people telling me I can't do or find something so when I learned about coin roll hunters I immediately thought of silver and the simplicity of it was really a V8 moment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I do it to collect rare coins and for the silver. I started out with reasonable goals for silver and put together a full album of AU / BU Kennedy halves in the first month, started finding more and more silver and REALLY caught the silver bug. I had some really great finds but it cost me two-fold: the local branches of one dump bank in the 1st month and my accounts in the second dump bank by the 3rd month.

I kept searching a few dime and quarter boxes but took a month off of half searching. I'm starting back up today but am hoping more for quality over quantity, and hope for more commemoratives. I'd still love to get back up to my previous volume. I'd love to find Morgans not for their silver but because they're old. The oldest Walker I have is from '37. The old coins look better than modern coins IMHO.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do you search rolls? Are you a collector or do you look for a profit in the silver? Also what do you enjoy to search most?

Silver and profit.

I could really care less about collecting coins, I dont make enough to be able to throw money into collecting things that have little to no value.

I enjoy halves the most because they are the least amount of work and I can go through the largest volume the fastest.

If I find a collectable coin, I would resell it to buy silver with.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do both. I usually trade up my 40%s for something nicer.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Profit to fund collection. I've spent more buying coins and coin collections than I've made selling silver and other coins that are duplicates with my collection, but CRHing silver and flipping other acquires coins lowers the overall cost of building my collection.

jd750707

Mar 4, 2013
SW Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always been a coin collector, a silver collector and in general a modern day treasure hunter... The thrill of opening rolls rivals my days as a kid on Christmas morning... Hell I get excited if the teller or clerk has an Eisenhower... At 44 years old, Im still a kid when it comes to this hobby... I dont ever order boxes, all my silver has come from CWR, trays or cash registers...

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with the intent of hoarding silver but have found an interest in collecting coins as well. I'm not into it for flipping silver for profit because I can't search enough volume to make it worth while. I just plan on collecting what little bit of silver I can find and trade the 40% for 90% or .999. The thrill of the hunt is what makes it fun and not knowing what you might find. I really like searching nickels because there is always something in a box for m to keep.

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, I actually find it quite fun to look through cases of coins.

But mostly for the silver and ill do whatever it takes to get it for the benefit of myself.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out looking for silver. Then I started looking for and selling copper. Then I filled a Kennedy Dansco. Now I'm working on two penny Danscos. I have also filled an American Eagle Dansco and the State Quarter Dansco. I'm also working on a set of Canadian pennies. So I guess I do it for the silver and the hobby. I enjoy looking through pennies the most. I always find something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread