OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
City parks, old football field, private houses built around 1950, schools(circa 1950), Tree lines(trees are large and old)

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been at it since Nov, have about $130 in clad and 3 silver dimes from the 50s.. oh and one Indian Head from 1901 but no idea where I found that cause it was tossed in with all the other clad.. Not as many coins as you would think reading the forum.. Remember, no machine can see through other stuff. If there is 30 year blanket of trash metal and clad coins in the first 6" and there is an old coin below, nothing is going to see it if it is under other stuff.. The dimes I found in peoples yards.. nuti in the public places as of yet..

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How come I'm not finding any coins deeper than 3"? I've got a Fisher F2. I bought it new about 2 months ago. I've found lots of coins but all within the 3" and all clad. Am I doing something wrong?:BangHead:

Start digging everything. Discriminating metal detectors are notorious liars.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found 6 wheats, including a 1928 and 1938. And they were both withing 3" of digging. So age is not the hurdle. Congrats on the $130 in clad. There's your gas money or upgrade on equipment. Silver dreams.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boatlode, LOL, that's a good one. But I refuse to dig iron. I'd be at it all day with a bunch of rusty nails to show for it.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Boatlode, LOL, that's a good one. But I refuse to dig iron. I'd be at it all day with a bunch of rusty nails to show for it.

But if you don't dig it up, you'll never know what's beneath it. Consider cleaning up at least a few square feet, just to see if there was something below it.

As for your original question, you may not be finding coins below 3" because there may not be any. How quickly do coins sink in your ground? What's the history of those parks, or even the houses? Has the land been filled or graded? What's the approximate age of the clad that you're digging up? Did other detectorists crush these sites ten or fifteen years ago?

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Until you learn your detector, you will be missing good stuff if you don't dig everything. After you understand what the machine is telling you, then you will be able to make educated decisions whether or not to dig a target.

You can refuse to dig. And you will not learn anything. The good stuff is found by experienced hunters who have paid their dues and know their machine.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Until you learn your detector, you will be missing good stuff if you don't dig everything. After you understand what the machine is telling you, then you will be able to make educated decisions whether or not to dig a target.

You can refuse to dig. And you will not learn anything. The good stuff is found by experienced hunters who have paid their dues and know their machine.
That's about as good a advice as your gonna get.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I only had the time and video footage to show you what iron hides. You would dig every iron signal you pass over. And not just iron, but whatever you're machine is set to discriminate.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice above. Another thought, how close to the ground are you swinging the coil? The detectors depth range starts at the coil, so be sure you are skimming the ground as closely as possible to maximize target depth.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When hunting civil war relics depth can be a hurdle to cross......but with coins(old coins) most of the time trash and target masking is the problem......the smallest coil you can get will help some but as others have said dig the trash!

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sensitivity settings and proper ground balancing will affect depth.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

They do LIE.... You need to spend some time "digging a bunch of rusty nails" and confirm what you believe. And even then you'll make some "wrong" choices.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently dug a "high pitched" piece of iron. It's vdi numbers showed a positive small coin though? After diggin' up the iron, I swept coil over plug again. Out pops a Barber dime?
As Limitool states, dig some iron. You might get a few keepers.
Good luck
Peace

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig on this old wagon road a lot (right by house). I have a White's Spectrum XLT E-series. I'm still learning to use it to its max. But..... I set it for relics in the pre-programmed mode. So in this mode I KNOW I'M GOING TO GET A LOT OF IRON... but the iron signals are all over the readouts. Some from negative #'s to high 50's. So I get a high 50 and think this might be something different... but NO... out pops another horseshoe. So I've discovered the iron signals can be all over the readout (thus far).

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wagon road nearby! I wish. Years of diggin', and not one complete horse shoe. Railroad spikes are plentiful though. I'm narrowing in on cannonballs too. All iron ain't bad.
Peace

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your having a depth issue with your machine. :icon_scratch: Not all coins are 3 inches deep, however the most common depth is 4-6 inches. :dontknow: Take your machine out and listen for deep faint hits, :headbang:dig them and see if you can find some deeper artifacts or coin... If not your machine needs fixed... ???

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A simple trick is to listen for all the subtle signals that are hard to pinpoint and almost hard to hear. Get a good set of headphones and turn the threshold up a bit if the detector has that feature.

This weekend I was finding a lot of newer stuff and I noticed all my targets were within the top 3". I then started to listen for the hard to pinpoint signals and started to find good older things.

In my last three detectors that I have dozens of hours on and serious use out of, I would do the following (in this order) and I get surprised all the time:

1. If it sounds good and reads good definitely dig it.
2. If it sounds good, but reads bad-dig it.
3. If it reads good (consistent good signal) but sounds bad-dig it.

Above all, take your knocks and learn your machine. In most soil I can tell if I have a piece of can or a nickel or penny. This only came from consistently digging signals both good and bad. I may hunt 8 hours and literally dig 150 times and bring 30 or 40 good things back. The rest is trash.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread